MMS138 – The Expendables: 1/6th scale Barney Ross Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent an hour and a half of my life trying to put this piece of garbage together. I spent this hour and a half trying to do one strap, that's right, ONE strap through the vest and loosening the others to place it one him. Finally, just as I was getting it, the buckle broke. Hot Toys makes these things out of ____ people. I've had 3 things break in just the past few first months I've started to collect this stuff and it's made of ____. Thin little plastic garbagey pieces. Well no more. This is the last hot toy for me ever so help me God, I am done paying 200 bucks for breakable out of the box garbage.

This is exactly why every figure that I decide to get, I post onto the thread so I can get a copy of every post from then on, and read them.

When I got my Barney I knew to slip the figure into the vest from the top after removing the boots and pants. I never had to undo anything except the Velcro strap on the top to do it. When I got my T1 T-800 I knew to check for missing studs on the elbow of the jacket. When I got my Berserker Predator I knew that the knee joints would be tight and that I would have to be careful posing him. When I got my Wolverine I knew that the shirt and jacket could stain the body if the t-shirt was removed, and so on.

I've been a member of other forums (dealing with other types of toys and games) and I've never gotten as much valuable information then from this forum. My advice to you is not to give up on Hot Toys, but to use these threads that get started on your figure of interest to learn everything those that get them before you do. It’ll help you to better assembly and be more careful with your figure.

Believe me it pays off, and if I've never said it, Thanks to everyone for their help. With this figure and all the others I’ve collected.

Last edited:
Can't agree more, do some research, watch vids, read postings for potential hints and problems before tackling the set up.

I purchased a level 3 Transformer Ravage recently, lost or destroyed the the instructions for transformation...10minutes in my patience was gone and I almost took a hammer to the toy.

Cooler heads will prevail with these toys...

I think:slap

Thanks for sharing the review, bro.
I agree that this is an awesome figure, and one of the best in our respective collections! :clap Glad you also took notice of how detailed the watch was. :rock Checking out other parts of your site now. :duff

Thxs bro. I can't emphasize enough how cool and solid this figure is...
Got to see it in person to really appreciate how food the head sculpt is lol. Stay tuned for the combat attire
version coming soon cheers!
Ps : please bear with my English if my reviews are not good enough haha

I just spent an hour and a half of my life trying to put this piece of garbage together. I spent this hour and a half trying to do one strap, that's right, ONE strap through the vest and loosening the others to place it one him. Finally, just as I was getting it, the buckle broke. Hot Toys makes these things out of ____ people. I've had 3 things break in just the past few first months I've started to collect this stuff and it's made of ____. Thin little plastic garbagey pieces. Well no more. This is the last hot toy for me ever so help me God, I am done paying 200 bucks for breakable out of the box garbage.

I didn't follow HT instructions, here's what I did...

1.I undid the 2 shoulder Velcro on the tac vest and unzip the till the bottom where there's a stitch holding the zips together(do not break the stitch)
2.Remove both boots
3.try to overlap the legs like a walking pose
4.slip the vest up from the bottom( you will encounter a bit of resistance around the hip area)
5.adjust the side hostlers if you have to.
6.once pass the belt area everything should be a breeze from now on.

Of course don't forget to put on the black t-shirt before any of the steps above.
Hope this helps some of you guys.

:thud: Aha! So that's how you put that darn vest on! I've had my Barney Ross fig for a month now--it stayed in the box when I found out how difficult it was to fiddle around with one strap as well! :slap

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hi guys i just did a mini out of box review of this great figure.
Hope this helps anyone still on the fence deciding whether to get this figure or not:wave
here's the link to my review
https://nekotoyz.blogspot.com/2011/03/hottoys-mms-138-barney-ross-review-1.html#more

Nice review on Barney neko! :wink1: I'm really glad that I bought this guy even though @ first I didn't PO him cause the story of the movie didn't satisfy me but after seeing the actual product I was amaze by the likeness of the HS & the details on his accessories. Truly one of the best by HT. :lecture

Also, got the chance to surf your blog..great 1/6th collection you have there! :clap

I didn't follow HT instructions, here's what I did...

1.I undid the 2 shoulder Velcro on the tac vest and unzip the till the bottom where there's a stitch holding the zips together(do not break the stitch)
2.Remove both boots
3.try to overlap the legs like a walking pose
4.slip the vest up from the bottom( you will encounter a bit of resistance around the hip area)
5.adjust the side hostlers if you have to.
6.once pass the belt area everything should be a breeze from now on.

Of course don't forget to put on the black t-shirt before any of the steps above.
Hope this helps some of you guys.

Hmmm now, this guideline will do. :) Thanks for the tip man! :wink1:

I've mentioned it before... I had very good luck with my Hot Toys figures (over 35 of them). However a great deal of patience, lighting and tweezer help is needed a lot of the time. I just go someplace comfortable with a cold drink and turn on some tunes and put my figure together. Usually, the relaxed attitude cuts down on frustration and everything turns out well.

Now that's how you work on those hard-headed figures haha! :lol Nice! :wink1:

Last edited:
I kind of changed my mind have decided that I'd really like to get this figure. Unfortunately, supply is pretty much dried up everywhere as far as I can tell. I'm going to the C2E2 convention in Chicago this weekend, so I'll keep my eye open for one while I'm there.

****thank you for listening to my inner monologue****

--Was attempting to put the vest on using the technique mentioned earlier, but the side straps came undone just as I was about to pass the hips on the figure! :gah:

Now I'm using 2 hemostats to try and put the straps back together...:monkey1 :mad: :monkey1

I kind of changed my mind have decided that I'd really like to get this figure. Unfortunately, supply is pretty much dried up everywhere as far as I can tell. I'm going to the C2E2 convention in Chicago this weekend, so I'll keep my eye open for one while I'm there.

Goodluck BB! Hope you find him @ a great deal! :wink1:

May the figure gods smile upon you my friend.

Good luck bro...you will not regret this awesome purchase!!:lol

Alright, last ditch effort I believe, but anyone have ANY idea where a nice freak like me can still buy this guy besides Ebay?
Damnit, now I'm THAT guy! :lol

Any help is appreciated, THANKS!

Just bought mine last week at the NYC Forbidden Planet store. They do not list him online. I saw him by chance in the store in NYC. Maybe if you call them you can order and they can ship. It is worth a try, BTW, he was regular price (no sale but not mark up)

Good luck!

Just bought mine last week at the NYC Forbidden Planet store. They do not list him online. I saw him by chance in the store in NYC. Maybe if you call them you can order and they can ship. It is worth a try, BTW, he was regular price (no sale but not mark up)

Good luck!

Congrats on acquiring him man! :)

Alright, last ditch effort I believe, but anyone have ANY idea where a nice freak like me can still buy this guy besides Ebay?
Damnit, now I'm THAT guy! :lol

Any help is appreciated, THANKS!

No, but cotsworld is the only one i know that has a waitlist and for 169.99. :dunno

Hi guys my review of Barney Ross part 2 is up at my blog
Here's some pics to share:wave

full+f.jpg

tagshines.jpg

reload.jpg

revolver+reload.jpg

more pics here:
https://nekotoyz.blogspot.com/2011/03/hot-toys-mms-138-barney-ross-review-2.html

Back