1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

2yty8wk.jpg

2dqrl1j.jpg

I think Batman suffers from the usual overlong forearm problem. Hot Toys need to adjust their bodies again methinks. They should move the elbow joint to a more equidistant point between the top of the shoulder and the end of the hand.

hey masterside, i'm happy for your purchase...but pleaseeee don't get upset when is say this.

its probably a combination of things, but the high resolution of your camera, lighting, surroundings...you managed to make this sexy figure...um...unsexy. don't get my wrong, the poses look cool and the angles are nice...but dayam dude, it looks like the figure didn't come from HT. =P

seriously though, congrats, i'm heading back to NY to celebrate chinese new year with the family (currently in GZ, and i picked up two DX bats...)...can't stand the thought of being away from my toy...

i know, i'm sad.

It's now how it "should" be but it's how it is, yes, I don't think you can really attach the cape with those clips and not have some of the back end of them stick out.

It's not for everone but I actually removed the clips and just tucked the cloth into his suit.

You can tuck some of the cape into slots with the clip, & you can press down on the back of the clip until it pops into place & lays flat.

DSCN0054.jpg

Well actually no, the head warpage was a problem predominantly for the Sonar heads, not for the PERs head.

Well actually no, the head warpage was a problem predominantly for the Sonar heads, not for the PERs head.

i was under the impression that even the PERS head wasn't immune to head warpage. there were pics from various owners of the toy (first batch) and just about every single one of them had minor to major head warpage. biggest giveaway were the ears. usually the right (stage right-figures heads left) ear would be lower than the opposite side.

now, judging by the pic from master and also from viewing my own fig...i think it's safe to say that every fig now is perfect. head warpage wise. i still read issues with the suit.

Both DX Batman and Blade arrived today! I only had the chance to sneak a peek inside the boxes, but mine looked A-okay. No oily residue yet. That made me wonder: Did anyone here have the oil build-up appear right when they opened the box? Or does that come later? I wonder what causes it to happened post-removal from the packaging...

i was under the impression that even the PERS head wasn't immune to head warpage. there were pics from various owners of the toy (first batch) and just about every single one of them had minor to major head warpage. biggest giveaway were the ears. usually the right (stage right-figures heads left) ear would be lower than the opposite side.

now, judging by the pic from master and also from viewing my own fig...i think it's safe to say that every fig now is perfect. head warpage wise. i still read issues with the suit.

Wookster reported that the head warp was caused by a defective mold that was tossed out, so there shouldn't be any heads after the fisrt batch that have warping issues. It also seems safe to say, the flaking issue has passed and now all that's left is the weird phenomenon going on with the ab armor.

Both DX Batman and Blade arrived today! I only had the chance to sneak a peek inside the boxes, but mine looked A-okay. No oily residue yet. That made me wonder: Did anyone here have the oil build-up appear right when they opened the box? Or does that come later? I wonder what causes it to happened post-removal from the packaging...

It happens after having him out, I went a day plus without any issues. The way it behaves, I have a hard time imagining the belt has anything to do with it, I really can't figure a cause. It just seems too uniform, at least in my experience, to be caused by a squeezing out action, it really just looks like someone took some gloss coat and applied a coat to the plates, in my case, you can't see any actual fluid, it just darkens and grows shinier, and the effect can be "wiped" away, but when I do it, I don't see anything on the towel, there's no sign that I've removed something from the suit, yet it improves the appearance.

I'm not counting on it to be an answer, but I have my figure just sitting around right now, I've not wiped it since the most recent showing, and it seems to be subsiding on its own. Maybe if just left to go away by itself, it will and perhaps the constant cleaning is counterproductive. Anything's worth exploring at this rate.

I asked Les about what he thought the oil issue came from and here's what he told me:

"Weird!
Looks like a possible chemical reaction for sure. I would say, clean the suit part well, and try to match with some kind of paint, softly drybrushed on to just cover the area, and put something on the inside of the belt, like thin felt or something, and keep it from ever touching the actual armor parts.
My best guess is, these figures always have a strong chemical odor when they first come in. Sometimes takes days to dissapate. I bet they have some leeching aspects to the materials, that are probably not being dried or cured long enough after being molded, when they are first taken and assembled in the plant in China. That way, the fumes degrade the touching materials somewhat, causing a "bleed" or some other type of sweat, that can degrade any surface paints while packed tightly in transport.
Just think of how strong the odors are, and that is chemicals blending and reacting as much as anything. Curing.
Sounds like Hot Toys QC is rushing these out the door before letting the parts cure properly.

I just contacted a buddy I used to work with, back when we did molds and casts in all kinds of materials at the Jacksonville Zoo down here, back in 1996-99, and he said it was his thought that I was right with what I've told you so far, that it's one of two possibilities.

One, that HT is in a hurry to get these out, so they did a sort of bypass to proper curing time, and painted the uncured materials, and that caused fumes to catch under the paint, and actually break down the rubber/vinyl whatever it is they are using (probably NOT a good chemical to begin with!) and that in time, it leached out a portion of the component base, ie, the "oil" and that caused the problem.
OR,
Two, Hot Toys was in a hurry and didn't consider what the fumes would do while still packed in the boxes, and shipped them out too soon. Either way, it's Hot Toys in a hurry and not slowing it down.

Forgot to mention the third possibility:
A chemical reaction of some kind between the paint used (either on the actual skin of the suit, or the belt surface or composition) and the uncured rubber/vinyl.
That may or may not be a time related issue, but if the rubber is not well cured, it would for sure exacerbate it.

It's for sure one of those three reasons."

Thanks, bro! :rock

Man congrats!!! Where'd your order yers from? I wanna know since we live an 1hr away from each other.

So maybe Hot Toys will figure out by the DC Direct wave to NOT RUSH THIS OUT?

i'm positive HT regrets the day they listened to the ****** that suggested to release DX bats early for xmas.

i don't know how the toy business runs, but i'm sure that this whole 'first batch' fiasco may have set them back just a bit. with the amount of exchanges and recalls they had to deal with, it must've hurt them. people are wary about picking up even with the 2nd batch. and i fear that what should've been THE fig to pick up this year, with all the issues with the head, suit, and other QC problems that plagued the 1st batch, where by now it should be sold out, i still see it for sale in GZ china.

granted, a toy like this is gonna be hard for it to fly off the shelf in guang zhou. spending a lot of money on ANYTHING isn't the norm here.

anyway, my point is, i'm certain HT won't ever rush things out ever again. no company wants to lose money, nor do they want their rep ruined.

It really is a shame the release of this figure has been handled so poorly, if there were none of the issues that came up to worry about, it'd just be an awesome figure to enjoy, but when you have the sense to check it for problems that have been mass reported, it's hard to fully enjoy it.

Take a look at my DX. The oil keep reappears whenever I wipe it in 6 hours. When you take a close look, you can see right arm is 1 cm longer than left arm. Something about my DX it just seems unbalanced. And hot toys keep tells me to readjust.

Mine's from a 1st batch, but it has no peeling issue.

Just thought I'd chime in officially, since I was quoted earlier and that quote is me sort of quoting a fella I used to work with, who knows more about all this than I do. Still, it sounds like rushed work to me. I did add a fourth possibility, that it could be mold release agent from the possibly metal (copper?) molds so the rubbers won't stick. Not sure about mold releases on this material or not, but I assume some is used.
Again though, it does reiterate the possibility that HT is not taking time to properly clean the materials before taking them and painting them and so on. Packing also. Whatever is causing all this, it's not just HT. I remember when I got my SS Van Helsing, and his coat smell was STONG for weeks. Some really powerful material that was new, or some coating, or something. And when it was packed in that box, just imagine what it does in time to the plastics.

Anyone who's ever put a rubber or soft item next to plastic for a prolonged time, in storage, knows you can often find them merged, or melted into each other. It can be really nasty, especially with nice collectibles.

Take a look at my DX. The oil keep reappears whenever I wipe it in 6 hours. When you take a close look, you can see right arm is 1 cm longer than left arm. Something about my DX it just seems unbalanced. And hot toys keep tells me to readjust.

Mine's from a 1st batch, but it has no peeling issue.

All figures are standard so it is not possible to actually own a TT that has a longer body part :p
HT should have been more helpful though in clarifying this but since that is not the case maybe we can help here:
The underlying TT body consists of many parts that are snapped together using mostly clips (possibly screws as well). The longer arm is likely caused by one of the parts (hand, forearm or upper arm) not being fully inserted. You can take of the hands off (carefully) on both sides and remove the gauntlet to push up the sleeve to see the elbow joint and compare the underlying limbs and hopefully you will see which part is off.
Somebody mentioned disproportionate legs and I would say it's the same problem as it is highly unlikely that they made a few limbs at wrong length when they use molds to do so.

Back