Mezco One 12: Popeye

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is mean to represent the 1933-1938 Popeye look. I really like the two figures I’m getting both be it 2pk or single. Now bring on a proper Pappy!

View attachment 461354
I think I prefer this colour scheme more than the previous versions, I must've watched a lot of the really old cartoons as a child. Regretting paying (slightly) over retail for the original version now... Oh well, such is the nature of the collecting game...

Bluto and classic Popeye look amazing!
As nice as classic Popeye looks, I really hope Bluto will be sold separately because I can only afford one Popeye, and since he's bigger than the usual One:12 figure, I hope Bluto won't be that much more than usual.

While I might get Mezco's Bluto, if only because the figure I chose as the base has such limited articulation, I am otherwise quite content with the awesome custom Bluto @toyotter created for me:

ToyOtter Bluto V.jpg

I definitely think he got the body shape right in a way Mezco didn't; I suspect they sacrificed accuracy for potential reuse.

Whatever the case, theirs does look amazing. I wish they'd sculpt a new head or two for Popeye!

While I'm here, I also want to share the beautiful dock my buddy Skot surprised me with:

Walker Pier.jpg

So... what do y'all figure are the odds we'll get an Olive Oyl?

Would anyone like Mezco to do a Movie Popeye
Would the Williams family ever allow it :dunno

I know there's lot of derision of that movie, but I for one loved most of it, the ending was really a let down.
Personally I'd love a couple of figures from it!
And Williams was a huge geek, he loved video games and action figures (he even owned 1/6 scale figures) so I think they'd be happy to have them made.

I know there's lot of deriding that movie, but I for one loved most of it, the ending was really a let down.
Personally I'd take figures from it!
And Williams was a huge geek, he loved video games and action figures (he even owned 1/6 scale figures) so I think they'd be happy to have them made.

I read that Neca is planning a Mork version so maybe this could happen for Mezco. As a child watching the popeye film I always thought the only thing was strange was popeye having hair but I found out at later that was Williams choice to keep the hair because I believe he couldn’t wear a bald cap at the time with the technology back then

Popeye had a few hairs in the cartoon. :lol

Very few as Tom Hatten used to say...Few scribbles :lol

Which reminds me ..I wish they would put those Popeye shows on dvd . I used to love it when Tom I think that was his name used to draw Popeye during the commercials. Those shows were iconic..anybody remember :wink1:

Judith Hoag tells a fun story of feeling apprehensive about having signed on for this obscure, stupid movie called Ninja Turtles, and telling Robin Williams about it and him excitedly replying, "Ooh, are you going to be April O'Neil?"

That's a great story! I wish we heard more about William's collection.

I think this is mean to represent the 1933-1938 Popeye look. I really like the two figures I’m getting both be it 2pk or single. Now bring on a proper Pappy!

View attachment 461354

It's interesting because the new one doesn't have buttons on it's shirt. I'd be down for a new Popeye if it was a black and white version like MEZCO does sometimes (ie. Dark Knight, Frankenstein, etc) with the grayed out skin

It's interesting because the new one doesn't have buttons on it's shirt. I'd be down for a new Popeye if it was a black and white version like MEZCO does sometimes (ie. Dark Knight, Frankenstein, etc) with the grayed out skin

It does have buttons they are just blue like the shirt perhaps they will be painted when it’s released.

Back