Action Figure Mezco One:12 Collective - (1:12 scale) DC Comics Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6B5ADE85-59CD-481C-B3AC-432246BFF36B.gif

Figure looks awesome! That sculpt looks really good.

Batman 1989's cape problem is really bad. When I opened mine yesterday, the ring of the cape wouldn't "snap" into the neck area (instructions said it should!). I tried heating it with a hair dryer, then I pushed it into the neck area, but it didn't work. I've been pushing hard for a while to the point that my right thumb actually bled inside! I was getting frustrated to the point that I wanted to throw and smash Batman against the wall, and I've got a ton of patience. It was just extremely frustrating that I couldn't take it anymore. After calming down and not smashing Batman against the wall, I noticed there's too much cloth in the inner ring and that's probably what was causing it to not fit. I used scissors to cut out the excess cloth inside. That worked.

View attachment 643481
Having the same problem. But if I cut away any more of the excess material that's stopping it from attaching to the neck area I fear the cape will detach entirely from the plastic collar - a thread holding one side on has already become undone. So I'm still having no luck and I've manhandled the figure far more than I like.

To me the capes and their method of attachment are write-offs. I'm going to have a capeless Batman here till I order something that actually works.

I have every cape wearing Mezco Batman Mezco has ever made.

Why they didn’t make the capes like the Golden Age Batman, Supreme Knight Batman and Sovereign Knight Batman figures is beyond me.

Their ‘89 Batman suffers from being overdesigned, frustratingly so. Would have been easier to give him ONE thin wired cape like the Golden Age Batman and a simple body suit like the prototype had instead of what they did here. Would have saved money too. No need to make two capes, no need to make a metal armature, etc etc.

It's an OK figure but one that causes frustration right out of the box as you try to get to grips with merely attaching the cape let alone trying to get it (the cape) to look good. I would prefer not to have done so much moving of joints or manhandling of the rubber suit and yet all of this was unavoidable in my ultimately unsuccessful attempt to get the cape onto the figure. Now I'm paranoid that any mark on said suit or any looseness of an arm was caused by me within half an hour of taking the figure out of the box for the first time.

Plus, yes, why a rubber onesie suit, why a thin metal frame underbody - surely it must be well known by now that these things scare collector's ***tless.

The movable eyes head is basically useless - the eyes are too wide open and as a result he looks goofy from the front and has the ugly permanent sliding toggle on the back of the head.

The other heads - good cowl sculpt and mouth likeness but I don't like the way his left eye on each of the heads seems to angle upwards at the outer edge. Looks weird. Not sure Keaton has such an asymmetry so I feel like it's an error in the sculpt.

I don't have much experience with Mezco - just Reeve Superman, this and the Jungle Hunter Predator. I was pretty happy with Reeve but I think he could have been taller perhaps. The Predator sucked a$$ and made me cancel the Big Chap Alien. This Batman isn't bad, just could have been a fair amount better.

Heat up the plastic ring with a hair dryer and it should clip right in. Mine is slightly stretched now that it clips in easily but not so loose that it'll come off accidently.

Thanks but no, that hasn't worked for me. The cape material inside the plastic ring just won't allow it to click home. Meanwhile the threads holding the cape into that plastic ring have either come free or are now severely frayed after all this effort. Truly an awful concept for attaching the cape.

The worst part is that even if you manage to get the cape fully clipped in, it still looks like ****! It can't drape properly at all. It's just the same poofy mess that all the other attempts at this figure have run into.

On mine, the unwired cape had a plastic clip loose enough that I'm able to force it around the neckpiece. The wired cape has so much fabric in there that it'll never possibly fit. But I got the unwired cape completely secured. It still looks like garbage. I added wires to all the pleats which gives the option of having a "flight mode" pose, but it still looks terrible if you just wanna have it draped naturally. I could try bending and forcing all the wires down and around the figure but it just looks like he's wearing a trash-bag.

My solution was to just throw an old extra cape from Black Series Darth Vader on, after I removed the chain. That really is a nicely tailored piece considering how cheap it was. Yeah, it's not the right type of material. It doesn't look like leather at all. And no, it doesn't have the signature "bat-scallops" at the ends, either. But it just drapes around his body perfectly, the way it looks in the movie. That's the most important thing to me. Especially at this scale, where material isn't as noticeable as 1/6th scale. It's not a perfect solution, but I'm satisfied for now. Might attempt to sew the scallop-shape in at least.

I'm unaware of the "best" 3rd party custom cape. I just know they're really damn expensive, and I've sunk so much time and money into this figure already that I don't want to spend anymore.

I really don't articulate it anyway. I think it looks fantastic on the shelf in a museum pose, not unlike the Hot Toys figure it's clearly designed after. I don't regret buying it, but it's nowhere near the home run it should have been. Still the best option we have for that costume at 1/12. I know MAFEX could do better if they ever got around to it, but even if they did, it'll be several years til that happens, so I'm just gonna be happy with what we got.

Who is making the best cape for ‘89 Batman out there?

I made one that drapes nicely but it bothers me that it doesn’t have the seam lines/panels at the cowl scallops. I can’t stitch.

Is that just the Mezco head/custom cape on a Neca body, or is there more to it?

Either way...looks great!!

Never been a fan of pointless shoulder-pads but beyond that he looks good. I'm hoping we get a more comic accurate Nightwing and Robin at some point, though.

Wonder when/ how Nightwing will be up for order and release date?
Impossible to say with Mezco -- could be tomorrow, could be a year from now. They still have figures from last year that they previewed but still haven't put up for pre-order yet (Doc Ock, King Conan).

Back