Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean you guys shouldn't necessarily just go off of what I say. It could just be that it isn't my personal idealized vision of what a Rex display should be.

Someone posted a 2 minute youtube video review a couple of pages back. I havent heard it with the sound on but visually it gives a good approximation of what to expect.

In that video Rex looks like the perfect colour, a deep grey. But lookin at you previous post you say its that light green??:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I really hope it isn't as bad as you said, because if so im gonna sell mine. I spent too much money for what sounds to be a not upto scratch figure :(. I will see soon enough

I think it's hilarious how many people in this thread were so excited for this piece and now that it's almost available and *almost* in their hands, they're looking to get rid of it because it's not exactly how they imagined it...

Isn't that how EVERY toy is?

I find myself doing this all the time - it's not the actual figure or statue or collectible we're so excited about, it's the anticipation of owning the *perfect* figure...and when we realize the real thing doesn't live up to our expectations, we're disappointed...and we sell 'em...

just saying...

I think it's hilarious how many people in this thread were so excited for this piece and now that it's almost available and *almost* in their hands, they're looking to get rid of it because it's not exactly how they imagined it...

I find myself doing this all the time - it's not the actual figure or statue or collectible we're so excited about, it's the anticipation of owning the *perfect* figure...and when we realize the real thing doesn't live up to our expectations, we're disappointed...and we sell 'em...

just saying...

I don't plan on flipping it, but the things that were missed by 3A make no coherent sense at all.

just saying...

I'd like to politely disagree with you there, buddy. Nitpicking is one thing, but I think as consumers we have the right to demand "perfection" given the price we're paying for these things nowadays. I doubt it's the actual anticipation that people get excited about, rather it's about finding a keeper. Look at Hot Toys, there are some figures that are really hard to fault (1989 Batman and Chris Reeves Superman for example). That's what people want.

If Rex does turns out to be a "disappointment", then 3A must not turn a deaf ear towards our grievances, otherwise the same thing will happen to RAY. They have to know.

I'd like to politely disagree with you there, buddy. Nitpicking is one thing, but I think as consumers we have the right to demand "perfection" given the price we're paying for these things nowadays. I doubt it's the actual anticipation that people get excited about, rather it's about finding a keeper. Look at Hot Toys, there are some figures that are really hard to fault (1989 Batman and Chris Reeves Superman for example). That's what people want.

If Rex does turns out to be a "disappointment", then 3A must not turn a deaf ear towards our grievances, otherwise the same thing will happen to RAY. They have to know.

:exactly:

I have a feeling RAY will be plagued with issues as well.

just saying...

i completely agree with you. i loved it from the beginning. im keeping mine no matter what. but i do have my gripes but overall the figure is the balls! what material is he made of again? pvc right???? if thats the case hell be pretty damn tough anyways.

agreed about complaining for future releases. they do listen to forums to a certain extent.

:goodpost:

:exactly:

This is especially if 3A is going to move into more licensed products, such as MGS, Portal, and Halo.

They can't just use the old "oh it's Ash's style" deal anymore, and good for it, because the stuff they've been coming out with in their own line recently has been less than astounding. As soon as they announce they were licensed for MGS, they've opened themselves up for a larger base of criticism, and they will receive it! :lecture

And Ryan Pliskin posts the response I was looking to provoke - thank you!

I agree with you (RP) of course that it's necessary for fans and collectors to post their grievances and voice their concerns as that is one way the companies learn from their mistakes and hear from their fans...though when you say fans demand "perfection" but you and other fans accept what's been released (which is - as many fans have admitted, not perfection), you're simply saying "we demand perfection...but we'll settle for what we get."

There's no doubt everyone must compromise on some things - scale, material, design, color, manufacture, etc. Howwever, anyone who is keeping this figure is compromising as the neck doesn't turn and there are numerous specifics (paint especially) which have been shown to be not game accurate.

Again, there's nothing wrong with compromise, but remember YOU and every fan who pays this kind of money ($500+) for a collectible that's a "compromise" of any type makes it that much easier for the company to compromise on future releases as well.

Now, after all that's said, it's nice to see fans willing and able to voice their dissent and still support a company to ensure future releases (RAY) are produced and made available. Without support for this first release (REX), the second release (RAY) would never get made...

I hope that Ashley Wood and the ThreeA staff visit this thread. They'll have access to a lot more constructive critique here (about REX), than what they allow on their own forum.

And that's the problem (as stated above by Solidus) - a company that's not open to constructive criticism on its own forum is turning a conscious blind eye to the fans. Sure there are going to be those trolls who voice ridiculous complaints and there's really nothing one can do about that...but the main fans who are voicing their opinions aren't having their voices heard where it matters most...and that's simply sad.

To not realize or recognize the need to improve is the issue...

Well, regardless of all the crying about this thing. I still think it looks rad. It doesn't look a far cry different from all the other pre-production photo's, plus the more moving parts and swivel joints the more likely to break. Human nature is to complain, best be said if you don't like it don't buy it.

Well, regardless of all the crying about this thing. I still think it looks rad. It doesn't look a far cry different from all the other pre-production photo's, plus the more moving parts and swivel joints the more likely to break. Human nature is to complain, best be said if you don't like it don't buy it.

According to a person on this thread who recently received REX, the paint and weathering looks sloppy. Also, the features that ThreeA left out seem ridiculous - when they could have been easily implemented. Perhaps you should read back a few pages to see what we were discussing.

As for the "don't like it don't buy it" statement - it's a little too late for that, since most people already paid in full for their pre-order with Bambaland since March.

Edit: Great points by akomei and crowinghorse!!

Last edited:
Looking forward to when the Sideshow folks get theirs. If I don't like what I hear and see I'll just sell this figure online without opening the box.

Back