Medicom's R2 and 3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say the Sideshow Vader is overpriced exactly -- if it didn't have the flaws I mentioned I would say it was just fine. Cheap even. But with the flaws, it's a little bit of a judgement call.

As I've said above, I agree that $200 is too much for these droids, but I think $150 isn't that outrageous when you compare it to other high-end 1/6 scale figures, and that's closer to what you'll end up paying for these in reality. I'm more impressed with the C-3PO than the R2, since he's chromed and lights up, and looks a lot better than the best thing we've had until now, which is the Hasbro figures. I just hope he's reasonably well articulated. I'm guessing the elbows don't bend, but hopefully the rest will allow for some decent poses.

medicom_c3po.jpg

Let's face it, EVERYTHING both Sideshow and Medicom (and other companies) make is overpriced. I mean, a 12 inch toy action figure for $70-$120 or more? Seriously- it's crazy how inflated the prices are and how regularly they continue to increase.

We should have less arguing here and more letter writing to Sideshow and Medicom telling them that their prices are too high.

Sean

Well, it's really only overpriced if it's more than people want to pay. Technology recently has allowed some amazing things to be done in the 1/6 scale world, and people's expectations have increased a lot compared with just a few years ago, as has their willingness to pay very high prices for these things. I never would have thought I'd pay over $100 for any kind of figure, but I've done it many times now. And for the most part, I don't regret it.

Let's face it, EVERYTHING both Sideshow and Medicom (and other companies) make is overpriced. I mean, a 12 inch toy action figure for $70-$120 or more? Seriously- it's crazy how inflated the prices are and how regularly they continue to increase.

We should have less arguing here and more letter writing to Sideshow and Medicom telling them that their prices are too high.

Sean

I agree..but i think until people keep buying up the figures they will continue.. This past year the prices have skyrocketed...its odd because in a declining economy most products reflect the economy and prices come down..Sideshow doesnt conform to this at all..just the opposite. I started collecting sideshow when they were $49 a figure..which was a huge reason I did..now within a year and a half the prices have doubled..thats unheard of. They need a few more Thrawns to take a hit and maybe rethink thier pricepoints..but until they stop selling out..there is no reason for them to stop increasing prices...its smart business.

HI again people:

Good comments, and SOME good points. However, there is conflicting evidence of his height. I saw him in person, and I don't think he's 5'9". I'm 6'1", and he's more than 3' shorter than me, I guess... but still, the costume would most likely raise his height, so I can see the point. Still, no where else can I find that 3PO's height is anything but 1.67m, the measurement I used. I've attached the only pic I have of 3PO from the concert. I'm at about eye level with him, and he's in a raised case.
Also, there's me and carbonite Han! LOL Also, I took a pic of the two
Ewoks, but a third one sneaked in! LMAO
Anyone else seen any of these? Sometimes they're not as big or small as you think in person.
Next time I see something live, I'll bring a tape measure... I was not allowed to photograph Daniels, nor film anything. I had to put my DSLR back in the car, so the pics are from my crappy Canon point-and-shoot.

As for the price, Lucas Industries isn't exactly known for giving things away. I would imagine licensing fees are steep for these, production is precise and the numbers are low, and they light up(more complicated design and cost), and they have to make some money. So, I'm mixed on the price-a little expensive, but I can see why. Scale? Quite good if they followed ref material, which they seem to have done. A foot to toe incorrect height variance of 3.8mm? Who cares...well, some of you obviously do, but that's SMALL folks. I would like to see these two together though...

By the way, my Hasbro R2 is about 6.25 inches, meaning this one is ever so slightly taller.

That looks like the Don Post C-3PO, which was undersized by a bit from what I understand. Generally speaking, I'm not the kind of person to break out the calipers and ruler to check if something is accurate. What I care about is if it looks right to me, and I'm just not sure about R2's size. C-3PO looks like he could certainly pass when mixed with Sideshow scale figures, but the R2 looks too small (especially if you put him next to 3PO). The same was true with the Hasbro R2, but at least it's under $20.

for a few bucks more, you can pick up the life size versions.

Yeah, only $5799 more! :google I speak from experience. :monkey2

I dont know about the size of the Hasbro R2..i have several of the droids and the sizes seem pretty dead on to me..but I could be wrong...if anything I thought he might be too large. Things in person from the movie arent what you may remember them from the movies.. I saw Luke's Landspeeder at the Magic and Myth expo in Philly..and that thing is small..i mean really small.

As for the price, Lucas Industries isn't exactly known for giving things away. I would imagine licensing fees are steep for these, production is precise and the numbers are low, and they light up(more complicated design and cost), and they have to make some money. So, I'm mixed on the price-a little expensive, but I can see why. Scale? Quite good if they followed ref material, which they seem to have done. A foot to toe incorrect height variance of 3.8mm? Who cares...well, some of you obviously do, but that's SMALL folks. I would like to see these two together though...

By the way, my Hasbro R2 is about 6.25 inches, meaning this one is ever so slightly taller.

That doesn't really mean much because across the board Medicom charges high prices for their stuff. Did you catch the Fist of the North Star figure going for $275? At the pricepoint they're releasing these things, they're more expensive than HT who's considered the industry leader in 1:6. And when you compare the product here with say an Iron man who still comes in at $20-$25 less, it leaves most of us in the "cool but pass - too expensive" or even the hardcore Medi fans saying, "I'll wait until the price drops."

And again, as for the height, it doesn't matter what any other source says. It matters how they look together and with other figures. We already know 3PO's about equal in height to Luke (meaning he's too short) and R2 comes up to his groin, not up to the bottom of the rib cage (which is where he should be based on reference pics from the films). It's quite funny how a lot of us were quick to agree that Vader's taller than he should be but several of you are refusing to admit that these guys are just too small. And if given a choice between two small R2s, a $180 or a $20 with no lights, I'll go with the latter.

That doesn't really mean much because across the board Medicom charges high prices for their stuff. Did you catch the Fist of the North Star figure going for $275? At the pricepoint they're releasing these things, they're more expensive than HT who's considered the industry leader in 1:6. And when you compare the product here with say an Iron man who still comes in at $20-$25 less, it leaves most of us in the "cool but pass - too expensive" or even the hardcore Medi fans saying, "I'll wait until the price drops."

And again, as for the height, it doesn't matter what any other source says. It matters how they look together and with other figures. We already know 3PO's about equal in height to Luke (meaning he's too short) and R2 comes up to his groin, not up to the bottom of the rib cage (which is where he should be based on reference pics from the films). It's quite funny how a lot of us were quick to agree that Vader's taller than he should be but several of you are refusing to admit that these guys are just too small. And if given a choice between two small R2s, a $180 or a $20 with no lights, I'll go with the latter.

Agreed...just because he is $20 doesnt mean he isnt quality.

I dont know about the size of the Hasbro R2..i have several of the droids and the sizes seem pretty dead on to me..but I could be wrong...if anything I thought he might be too large.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. If you look at the picture of Dorgma's repainted droids below, you can see that R2 only comes up to 3PO's crotch. Part of it may be that the Hasbro C-3PO is too large, but that's not the only reason. As you can see in my signature, he should be up past the bottom of 3PO's chest piece.

C3PO-6-1.jpg

Yes, I must agree with many of you here. Still, my Hasbro R2 and R5 look pretty good with my Sideshows, Which means Medicom's will too. I don't have the Hasbro C-3PO as he just looks too big to me.

Pricing will always be open for debate. "Recession" has nothing to do with it, especially with luxury items. If anything, selling less means higher prices for things like this, not lower. The market will dictate the prices to some extent, but only so far. I may order these myself closer to the time there due, but I still want to see the final product with each other and other figures as well. I'm lucky enough that the price of these isn't a problem for me. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Also, keep in mind, with the American dollar doing so poorly against other currencies lately, this drives up the cost of everything. I'm in Canada, and I've actually seen some things drop thanks to the horrible American economy. Prices rarely come down on things until they don't sell, or, like Hot Toys, they sell a lot more product, keep raising the bar, increasing demand, which helps lower prices through quantity, if that's what's happening.

The Medicom doesn't look much better than Hasbro's and what did Hasbro's originally retail for? $25?

Damn that's a big picture (and not of C-3PO by the way). Personally, I think the Medicom is worlds better than the Hasbro. Not that the Hasbro is terrible or anything -- for the price it's good.

Damn that's a big picture (and not of C-3PO by the way). Personally, I think the Medicom is worlds better than the Hasbro. Not that the Hasbro is terrible or anything -- for the price it's good.

And that's what's gonna bite Medicom in the ass. Given the choice between Hasbro stand-ins and Medicom Stand-ins (both being ill-sized), the cheaper is going to win the hearts and minds. Especially that there's a $350 difference in price between the two pairs.

Maybe, but I'd say the droids are superior to a lot of Medicom's other Star Wars stuff and I guess they sold well enough for them to want to continue the line. I've got several Hasbro C-3PO figures and while they certainly are good inexpensive placeholders, they are looking more and more out of place as my collection gets higher end and more streamlined. There's quite a bit of pent up demand for better droids.

That looks like the Don Post C-3PO, which was undersized by a bit from what I understand. Generally speaking, I'm not the kind of person to break out the calipers and ruler to check if something is accurate. What I care about is if it looks right to me, and I'm just not sure about R2's size. C-3PO looks like he could certainly pass when mixed with Sideshow scale figures, but the R2 looks too small (especially if you put him next to 3PO). The same was true with the Hasbro R2, but at least it's under $20.

Yeah, only $5799 more! :google I speak from experience. :monkey2

Did you get 5799 reward points?

I'll stick with the Hasbro droids till SS comes up with something better. If the Medi R2 was taller, I might bite, but at the $$$ they are charging, it would still be a tough call.

Back