Medicom's R2 and 3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, but i kinda doubt it. Most that collect SW figs(and post here) know how outrageous the price's are.

I mean 180 for a normal fig, and then these come out with oooooooo lights - Yeah gonna be more. I would not of been surprised to see 200+. Then, i bet you'd really see some posts about price :)

Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've only been collecting in this hobby for about 6 months, so I only have about 40 figures so far. However, I would like to talk about these droids for all you people out there that think they're so far off. I did some research today, and as far as I can tell, if the measurements given by Sideshow/Medicom are correct, then these droids ARE quite accurate, more than even Medicom says, and I'll prove it:

Ready for some math?

According to any Star Wars database I can look at online,
C-3PO has an actual height of 1.67 meters. R2 has a height listed as
0.96 meters in every source I could find.

Therefore,

C-3PO=1.67m=0.278m in 1/6 scale, which is = to 10.9 inches.
Medicom lists his height as 11"; therefore he's only about 1/10 of an inch(2.5mm) from being perfect, I consider that a negligible difference.
I met Anthony Daniels at Star wars in Concert last year; he's not that big, and I believe the listed height.

R2-D2=0.96m=0.160m in 1/6 scale, which is = to 6.30 inches.
Medicom lists his height as 6.25"; therefore, he's only about .05"
too short, or 1.27mm(negligible). I saw R2 as well, but I didn't measure him. Seems about right.

Conclusion- these ARE the droids you're looking for, and they are much closer than most figures I've looked at today for accuracy to scale.
Bottom line, stop whining, they look great, AND they're sized right.
Is the price too high? I really don't think so. They're not cheap, but
these aren't really toys people, they're art work, collectibles, whatever,
and I think they look good. Not totally sure about 3PO's face; I think the, "cute" look is more a matter of the lighting in the photos, but if I can, I'll measure that too and compare some time.

Want some more?

Sideshow Vader:

Listed height is 2.02m which = .337m in 1/6 scale which = 13.3 inches.
He's listed at 14 inch on Sideshow's site; Not even close folks.

Medicom Boba:

Listed height=1.83m=.305m in 1/6 scale, which is pretty much exactly 12". Actual figure is 11.5, so yes, he's half an inch too short.

Luke? Cutting out the math, he should be 11.26 inches in 1/6 scale.
Old Ben is a little taller.

Want more? Do the math. It's the only pure language in the universe, people! lol. More importantly, stop arguing until you have something to back it up with.

What do you guys think now?

Last edited:
The heights of people and things in Star Wars are far from exact, so the idea of calculating things to the thousands of a meter is pretty silly. Things can change in apparent height from shot to shot. But if you want to get down to specifics, I think your height for C-3PO is off by quite a bit. You say he's 1.67 meters tall. That's about 5'6", but I can find a lot of sources saying that Daniels is 5'9" and in fact that is roughly the height of my life size C-3PO statue.

I also don't see anything in your measurements that addresses the apparent scale problems between the two droids, with R2 being noticeably shorter than he should be in relation to C-3PO.

I'm with you in that a lot of people are being overly dismissive about these figures, when they are in fact hands down the best C-3PO and R2 figures ever made. I don't think anyone can dispute that. That doesn't mean they are perfect, though. They're going to be too expensive for a lot of people, and some niggling problems will probably make a lot of people sit them out in hopes that Sideshow will do better.

Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've only been collecting in this hobby for about 6 months, so I only have about 40 figures so far. However, I would like to talk about these droids for all you people out there that think they're so far off. I did some research today, and as far as I can tell, if the measurements given by Sideshow/Medicom are correct, then these droids ARE quite accurate, more than even Medicom says, and I'll prove it:

Ready for some math?

According to any Star Wars database I can look at online,
C-3PO has an actual height of 1.67 meters. R2 has a height listed as
0.96 meters in every source I could find.

Therefore,

C-3PO=1.67m=0.278m in 1/6 scale, which is = to 10.9 inches.
Medicom lists his height as 11"; therefore he's only about 1/10 of an inch(2.5mm) from being perfect, I consider that a negligible difference.
I met Anthony Daniels at Star wars in Concert last year; he's not that big, and I believe the listed height.

R2-D2=0.96m=0.160m in 1/6 scale, which is = to 6.30 inches.
Medicom lists his height as 6.25"; therefore, he's only about .05"
too short, or 1.27mm(negligible). I saw R2 as well, but I didn't measure him. Seems about right.

Conclusion- these ARE the droids you're looking for, and they are much closer than most figures I've looked at today for accuracy to scale.
and I think they look good. Not totally sure about 3PO's face; I think the, "cute" look is more a matter of the lighting in the photos, but if I can, I'll measure that too and compare some time.

Want some more?

Sideshow Vader:

Listed height is 2.02m which = .337m in 1/6 scale which = 13.3 inches.
He's listed at 14 inch on Sideshow's site; Not even close folks.

Medicom Boba:

Listed height=1.83m=.305m in 1/6 scale, which is pretty much exactly 12". Actual figure is 11.5, so yes, he's half an inch too short.

Luke? Cutting out the math, he should be 11.26 inches in 1/6 scale.
Old Ben is a little taller.

Want more? Do the math. It's the only pure language in the universe, people! lol. More importantly, stop arguing until you have something to back it up with.

What do you guys think now?

I think with all that math, you forgot to go to IMDB and look up the actors' heights for a proper comparison. I could care less what a company tells me the characters' heights are to justify the height of their figures. What matters is the difference in height between the actors in their costumes. When you take that into account, despite Medicom's measurements, looking at both Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker in costume, side-by-side, Medicom's heights are off and no amount of flashy math and decimal points is going to change that.

R2 should come up to the center of that circle on 3PO's abdomen. but in all the pics i've seen of the medi figures he barely makes it to the top of 3PO's codpiece. medi's R2 is also smaller in general. not just height wise. you could slap a handle on his head and 3PO could carry him around like a 5 gallon pail.

I think the prices are insane for these, I would definitely think SSC could nail 3p0's likeness much better then what we see here, i also think R2's blue is a little too light,especially on the dome panels, i think the only parts that were a lighter blue were on the body with the trim on the legs again a darker blue.

StarWarsR2-D2Wallpaper800.jpg

and I think they look good.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I'll state mine again. $200 a piece for these is beyond ludicrous.

Welcome.

Once a SW 1/6 goes beyond $100 (and I don't care what the company is) the quality and character captured have to be beyond reproach (Vader a good example)... I wouldn't pay $100 for either of these.

Maybe $60-80... But that's a big maybe.

Wow. Okay, I think that helps me understand where you're coming from at least. For the record, I'd say that Sideshow's Vader is at least as flawed as these are. The dome pretty much ruined the figure for me, to say nothing of the excessive height.

Wow. Okay, I think that helps me understand where you're coming from at least. For the record, I'd say that Sideshow's Vader is at least as flawed as these are. The dome pretty much ruined the figure for me, to say nothing of the excessive height.

There was nothing in the Vader that made me second guess the price (the same could be said for HT's Iron-Man-- both versions I and III which I bought without hesitation)... The droids (for the price they're offered at) are simply not that appealing... again, that's to me and it's an opinion. I'd have a really hard time paying $400 for these two when you look at the other SW collectibles that are being offered for a similar price point. I find the price tag quite ridiculous :monkey1 but if that's where the market's going then that's fine... As soon as SSC ask $200 for a 1/6 cantina character or ice-cream man that'll be fine with me-- I'll just stop collecting.

The size difference bugs the heck out of me. If I ever score a 1/6 3PO and R2, I want them posed with 3PO's arm on R2's head (like icruise's sig) and it would just look SO wrong with R2 being so obnoxiously short.

Once a SW 1/6 goes beyond $100 (and I don't care what the company is) the quality and character captured have to be beyond reproach (Vader a good example)... I wouldn't pay $100 for either of these.

Maybe $60-80... But that's a big maybe.

LOL You go on with yourself about overpriced when the very definition of overpriced is SS Vader. Overpriced AND flawed. Change the record Neil:rolleyes:

I have intercede here...the medicom prices are F'n ridiculous...if you have so much money you can buy these..then go for it..I have a Kenner R2 that I dirtied up a bit and it looks just as good as this and I got it for $20. It has no lightup but im sure i could rig it pretty cheap if it mattered to me..I am not going to display it lit up all day long..most likely they would light up once in awhile and then hardly ever again. Same thing goes for 3PO..the kenner one is decent with some dirtying. I will wait to see what SS can throw our way. But again..to each his own...just my two cents.

Back