Medicom Kubrick Ghostbusters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how these will be sold. Some Kubricks are sold blind-boxed, so you don't know what you're getting, and some (like the Star Wars ones) are sold in marked boxes, but you still don't know for sure if you're going to get a chase figure or not. And then there are others that are just sold in box sets, and what you see is what you get. As for price, you can probably count on them being $8 or $10 apiece, unless there are chases.

I wish NECA continued their line past series 1. Those figures were great.

Well, they tried, they just couldn't do it.

They obviously would have done the Ghostbusters as series 1 if they could have. They weren't able to and hoped doing non-GB figures would generate interest and get the idea of Ghostbusters figures on the necessary radar. It didn't work. Doing a series of non-GB's in a "Ghostbusters" line was a pretty gutsy move that simply didn't pay off in the way they wanted it to. You can get away with selling one series of figures that aren't what people *really* want but two? That's not really in the cards, especially since they probably would have been dipping into "Ghostbusters II" stuff.

The good news? According to a March posting on the NECA MySpace Randy says they're currently pursuing realistic "Ghostbusters" figures even more aggressively than they were the first time around. With the new game coming out this is the biggest year for Ghostbusters since '89 and that could very well be enough to get the ball rolling.

If it's possible, NECA will do it. More than any other company they seem to be able to work miracles when it comes to things like likeness rights and they certainly want to do it, and if they manage to cut through the red tape the licensing floodgates would obviously open to other companies. Cross your fingers.

I'm a sucker for block figures, so these are a must. I'd be hapy if Medicom managed to squeeze out just ONE of the boys in 1:6; custom headsculpts should be doable, but bringing in a custom proton pack for less than the retail of a medi figure is going to be reaslly tricky.

If HT did the GB figs I think we could all forgive likeness issues as they would make up for it on the hardware end!

I could dig that.

Murray HAS been loosening up lately--he took a break from acting after Broken Flowers/Garfield2 and did get back in the GB shoes for the voice work of the game at least. And he just got divorced now too--so that's a big financial hit--even with the pre-nup, he still agreed to give her 7 million. Maybe the game will blow up and he'll lighten up on his likeness--especially when HT is banging out killer toys of great movie properties for $200 a pop.

The divorce isn't likely to be a big incentive to license out his likeness. $7,000,000 is a drop in the bucket to Bill Murray and the money you get from action figures is a drop in the bucket when you're talking $7,000,000.

I think that's the problem. The whole idea of action figures is a very small blip on Murray's radar. Furthermore, Murray is notorious for having no agent or manager. If you want to offer him a part in your movie you need his personal number and you better hope he checks his voicemail (something he's known to be bad about).

Knowing these things about Murray I don't think it's a matter of him knowing the demand is there and refusing to do it. He's lost entire roles in movies because he's hard to reach. If a director can't get through to him to offer him a part what hope does someone from a toy company have?

As for the video game, this happened because Dan Aykroyd was really aggressively pursuing it. Aykroyd has the kind of history with Murray necessary to get something like the video game going. He really took the initiative with the game and got everyone on-board, and the sad truth is that I don't see Aykroyd doing this for other things like action figures.

Ultimately, I think Murray would be game if you could get the necessary papers in front of him to sign. He's obviously enormously talented but at the same time we're talking about a guy who did "Garfield" and "Charlie's Angels". He's not the kind of actor who is "too good" to take a gig for a quick buck, and even though the kind of money you get from something like action figures is really a non-issue to Murray I can't imagine him looking at the concept of a Venkman figure and thinking it would be more harmful to his career than some of the movies he's done.

But like I said, NECA said in March that they're working harder to get the likenesses than they did when they were actually doing "Ghostbusters" figures and they seem to be miracle workers in this respect and if there's one thing we've all learned from these once-impossible "miracle" licenses it seems like once somebody cuts through the red tape the floodgates open and they rights are available to everyone.

Anyways, like I said, '08 is the biggest year for "Ghostbusters" since '89 when the sequel was released, and that's a double-edged sword. When it comes to realistic "Ghostbusters" action figures there's two ways to look at '08: if it is ever gonna happen it's gonna be soon, but if it doesn't happen along with the video game, the Blu-Ray release of the films and the DVD release of the cartoon it's never gonna happen. '08 is pretty much gonna be "Ghostbusters" going out with a bang.

If Medicom made 1/6 Ghostbusters figures they probably wouldn't look anything like the actors to begin with so the likeness rights shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder how these will be sold. Some Kubricks are sold blind-boxed, so you don't know what you're getting, and some (like the Star Wars ones) are sold in marked boxes, but you still don't know for sure if you're going to get a chase figure or not. And then there are others that are just sold in box sets, and what you see is what you get. As for price, you can probably count on them being $8 or $10 apiece, unless there are chases.

At first I thought that it would be in box sets but judging by the # of figures i'm going to say blind boxed in cases of 24. The good thing about that though is the more than likely the possibilty of chase figures! A Gozer, Possessed Louis or Possessed Dana would be cool...

But like I said, NECA said in March that they're working harder to get the likenesses than they did when they were actually doing "Ghostbusters" figures and they seem to be miracle workers in this respect and if there's one thing we've all learned from these once-impossible "miracle" licenses it seems like once somebody cuts through the red tape the floodgates open and they rights are available to everyone.

That's the one thing that gives me hope. NECA were the ones to get Anthony Hopkins signed off on the Hannibal Lecter fig after McFarlane was trying to for years. I don't know what their secret is, but I sure hope it works on Mr. Murray.

That's the one thing that gives me hope. NECA were the ones to get Anthony Hopkins signed off on the Hannibal Lecter fig after McFarlane was trying to for years. I don't know what their secret is, but I sure hope it works on Mr. Murray.

They also got The Exorcist, another one that McToys were trying to secure for the longest time.

By the way, did anybody see this at OSW:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81827

Amazing work!!

Those proton packs look great, but I'm not anywhere near a big enough GB fan to want to pay $69 for such a kit. I might buy well done 1/6 figures, though.

BTW I liked the guy on the gbfans forum who asked if they could be worn. :lol

Damn, those are sick... I really hope that these are just the first step into eventual 1/6 goodness. I would be all over a set of 4, and slimer :rock

Back