Medicom Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS did a much better job with the PF than the 1/6 figure IMHO. After seeing all these pics of the Medicom I think it's a much better representation of Maul.

They're both great representations of Maul. Medicom's is ideal for the DOTF and Sideshow for his Tattooine scenes and early scenes on Naboo, as far as expressions go.

If the Medicom Maul were just a bit shorter and the neck a little smaller, it'd be an incredible representation of the film.

This is my WIP Maul repaint. I'm not even a good figure painter.

maulpaint.jpg

It's a resculpt of the Gentle Giant statue's head.

767864373_f38a284050_b.jpg

Here's my photos. They're full body shots mostly so no close-ups of the head. The images were much larger before I uploaded them. :monkey4 Should still give you a good idea. He did an awesome paintjob.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=659797&postcount=923

awesome AWESOME pics of an incredible sculpt. i must say, the SS clothes look GREAT on that Medi body. may switch my SS clothes to the Medi Maul once i get it. too bad we probably can't get that wide legged stance w/ any of the Maul boots.

so how/where did u guys get the Callous sculpt? didn't think he let his work out much.

image2948.jpg

and

image1575.jpg

As nice as the SS Maul is, these comparisons make it obvious which one is the better. No surprise considering one was $55 and the other was $150.

image2948.jpg

and

image1575.jpg

As nice as the SS Maul is, these comparisons make it obvious which one is the better. No surprise considering one was $55 and the other was $150.

I think the comparison only highlights that the hood on Medi Maul came out better and the articulated neck is helpful as well. I'd almost like to see Sideshow revisit Maul with their new body, but it'll never happen with as long as it took to unload the first one with so many thousands made.

Without having my Maul yet, here's how I see the positives of each one.

Sideshow
-Accurrate Ray Park base sculpt
-Film accurrate silhoutte
-Thinner lightsaber blades
-Authentically replicated hooded cloak materials

Medicom
-Accurrate character portrait
-Sturdy, heavily articulated body
-Accurrate cloak hood shape and size

I have a feeling, based on comments and images, that the inner robe material will feel closer to the PF/1:1 bust materials than the smoother cloth on the SSC figure.

They both have their faults, but both have strengths. As a Maul collector, they each add a value to my collection beyond a lot of other pieces I have of him, so I'm glad they've both been made.

Ok, so I did do more to SS Maul than just his eyes. I painted his upper lip black, increased the size of his chin tats and just now fixed his left horn tat. It looked wonky in my last pic.

That said Medi Maul's paint looks great.

Ok, so I did do more to SS Maul than just his eyes. I painted his upper lip black, increased the size of his chin tats and just now fixed his left horn tat. It looked wonky in my last pic.

That said Medi Maul's paint looks great.

The repositioning of the eyes is great, I'll have to give that a shot.
As for the Medi Maul, it looks really nice.

awesome AWESOME pics of an incredible sculpt. i must say, the SS clothes look GREAT on that Medi body. may switch my SS clothes to the Medi Maul once i get it. too bad we probably can't get that wide legged stance w/ any of the Maul boots.

so how/where did u guys get the Callous sculpt? didn't think he let his work out much.

Here's some more photos. That's the Volks Neo Guy body. The one the new Sideshow body is based off.

darthmaul5mu0.jpg

maultattoo1.jpg

mmaul3.jpg

The sculpt that you guys are referring to is an altered GG sculpt. That's why I only sold a couple as it's not really mine. I did some work on it, re-sculpted the horns, an ear and added more symmetry to the face but it is by no means my sculpt.
maulcast1.jpg

The light gray parts are my alterations.
maulcast4.jpg

GG statue on the left my painted altered sculpt on the right.
I did do my own version before the GG statue release but I really didn't think at the time how much of a difference the likeness would come into play when the face was completely painted. Of course after seeing GG's work I realized how wrong I was.
Here are a couple shots of my Maul.
maulheads2.jpg

maulheads.jpg

Some action shots
TPMdarthmaulforce.jpg

TPMdarthmaulaction.jpg

TPMdarthmaulgrin.jpg

TPMdarthmaulright.jpg

The GG statue, sideshows' figure and medicom's figure are all great and they are all better than mine hahaha. I made my own electobinoculars too.

There are 3 camps of Maul collectors.

1) Maul items that look just like Ray Park as Darth Maul.
2) Maul items that reflect the character created in film and EU materials with no need for pieces to reflect Ray Park.
3) Maul items with Ray Park's look captured preferred, but any interesting or well made piece featuring the character welcomed.

I consider myself camp 3, since I own super deformed Maul's and other sorts of pieces, but when it comes to high end pieces, I always hope for a solid Ray Park in TPM look, but I'll get past that if the piece is nice. I love the Medicom figure, but I don't get a a jumped off the screen vibe from it out of the box.

Hey Callous, do not cut yourself short.Your own sculpt is awesome!!
You are an artist and your interpretation is very worthy to stand up next to anything on the market today. Everyone here (I would think everyone) loves to see your work.It would be great if you posted more often,would love to hear your critiques and see more of your work.........

yo irish, thanks for the price thingy reply..i gess the price here in singapore is rather diff from how its done overseas when we got the chance to get it from the retailers instead..=)

man after one night of sleep TONS OF PICS show up!!keep em coming fellas..i'm stoked!!and its nt just medi's version..even the customed pics from the last few posts are fantastic!!:lol:lol

Can't wait to see your pics ed.Late march for you eh?

This is probably my fave so far but all have been good.

image2952.jpg

image2949.jpg

Back