Medi-Com VS Sideshow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of Medicoms, dating back to their Connery Bond (no one will disagree that SSC wins that one hands down). Luke is probably their weakest figure of all I own. It's a bad sculpt and the clothes don't fit right.

However Rocketeer and Sparrow are excellent. If they could do likenesses they would definitely be the company to beat. However HT has them well beat in likenesses and I prefer the HT body over Medi's as well.

Rocketeers a good example of their skill, i also think their vader is great, but both are examples of figures that dont have human faces, which as you said is their biggest weakness.

The other is the size of the body, can ANYONE explain why they use such a small body? Do they just wanna be different? I've never understood it.

The prevailing argument is the height difference between the average American and Japanese. Which is fine and dandy for Japanese characters, but when you have 1/6 scale, that means 1/6 of what you are making. Sure no one makes it perfect (except maybe customizers) but Medicom is closer to 1/7. Except of course that some of their figures (like Marvel) really are 1/6... its all very confusing :confused:

I believe it breaks down like this:

Medicom figures based on comic book characters = 1/6

Medicom figures based on movie characters = <1/6

I think Medicom can do Likeness fine. Their Human forms of thier Tokusatsu characters have pretty decent likenesses. I'm not sure why they go for a more stylistic approach with US characters but someone on their team can definetly replicate likenesses well.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
I think Medicom can do Likeness fine. Their Human forms of thier Tokusatsu characters have pretty decent likenesses. I'm not sure why they go for a more stylistic approach with US characters but someone on their team can definetly replicate likenesses well.
The X-3 Wolvie also proves that Medicom can excel at true human likeness' as well.

pixletwin said:
The X-3 Wolvie also proves that Medicom can excel at true human likeness' as well.

Maybe it just depends on which sculptor on their team does it

People always bring up the Rocketeer figure as Medicom at their best, and rightly so. I also think their Phantom of the Paradise figure was stunning as well. :D

No chance of Sidehow doing a version of him, eh? :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Not much of a 12" guy, but a few from each have crossed my path over the years. I would say that SS has Medicom pinned as far as likenesses, it really isn't much of a comparison. I also prefer SS's materials, esp the hands, the plastic isn't as "plasticy," it certainly appears more life-like. The costuming on Medicom however is quite nice, that may be a point in their favor.

For the $$ however, I would certainly rather go for SS most of the time.

darthviper107 said:
Let's see, if we go to googlefight, Sideshow wins with 7,370,000 hits compared to Medicom's 1,750,000.

Sideshow wins
527,000,000 = Teh W1N

michelangelo-finger-of-god-lg.jpg

pixletwin said:

Or they end up looking the same like the same guy like Luke and Superman.

I like a few of their figures but I feel Medicom are largely overrated and very overpriced and it seems some (not all) of their collectors seem to think that because they cost so much that automatically makes them better than other 1/6 figures such as those from Sideshow. The only thing I think they have over Sideshow is a superior base body.

bcm77 said:
I like a few of their figures but I feel Medicom are largely overrated and very overpriced and it seems some (not all) of their collectors seem to think that because they cost so much that automatically makes them better than other 1/6 figures such as those from Sideshow. The only thing I think they have over Sideshow is a superior base body.

And even the body has it's flaws because it's so much shorter than the average 12" figure, which would be great for a large collection since you could fit more on a shelf, but not at $150+ a pop.

For me, it's Sideshow. I just prefer their products. However, Medicom is a good company as well. I think there is a fine line between the two. Sideshow is just my personal preference.

MEDICOM HAS NO APPEAL TO ME,ALL OF THEIR FIGURES ARE TOO CARTOONISH.SOMETIMES SIDESHOWS 12'' LOOKS LIKE MINI STATUES ,WHILE WITH MEDICOM,IT ALWAYS LOOK LIKE A TOY.

I love both I don't get the fight. I love cartoonish, TOY LOOKING toys, they have an appeal to me that reaches back to being a kid. I love realisict looking sculpts with tons of accesories too. I love both, why the big debate all the time? I hate this crap. It's maybe the lamest argument ever, it pops far too much, and all anyone is doing is flinging their opions around like they're facts half the time.

Sideshow-Amazing realistic sculpts, cheaper prices BUT poor articulation (in comparison)

Medicom-Cartoonish/stylized sculpts, priceier, but better costumes and articualtion (generally, NOT ALWAYS, but imo, most of the time.)

Looks like I can't lose, great figures from both.

And as far as scale goes, it doesn't matter to me, Medicom figs with Medicom figs, SS with SS. It works. You can say Medis too small, you can SS is too big I can say who cares?

Same ****, different forum eh?

Medicom and Sideshow cooperate in their sales so I don't get the whole Medi vs Sideshow thing. I'm an action figure collector rather than a company collector, I like certain figures a company makes and don't like others for example.

Medi Luke, I don't really like it.
SSC Luke, I really like it.
Medicom Stormtrooper - love it
Medicom X3 Wolverine - love it can't wait to own it
SSC Han Solo 12" - terrible figure IMO

So you see it's not really about the company it's about the individual products they produce for me. A company is only as good as the next product they put out, if it's a good product, I'll buy it and sing their praises. If not I won't buy it and point out in a constructive manner how I think it could've been done better in my humble opinion as a collector.

There is no Medi vs Sideshow there are just the figures:emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back