McFarlane Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: What happened to Mcfarlane Toys?

recession....it's a muda f'er
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JskzAYySy3c[/ame]

The action figure market a couple years back resembled the comics market in the '90s, everyone was making every little thing they possibly could because people were figure crazy and it would sell. Eventually the bubble burst and unless you were NECA, who profits mainly on their merchandising rights i.e. Twilight shot glasses and such, it was hard to do figures of anything aside from established/hot properties and make any sort of profit. Hence why McFarlane is mainly sports and Halo now. They sell.

Todd's retarded business sense happened. I piss on their Walking Dead figures. What a dropped ball, right next to BifBangPow's Lost licence and MAC's X-Files line.

The main culprit was the closing down of alot of the mall retail specialty shops like Suncoast etc. that sold his stuff. When that happened he tried to get his figures into Wal-Marts and Targets which meant the gore had to go, and it was just one misstep after another trying to find mass retail friendly properties, Napoleon Dynamite, Hannah Barbera, Guitar Hero, Baeouwulf, all flops. The Spawn market being played out, and the shift of collectors moving into 1/6 didn't help matters.

Really sad thing is my oldest Son discovered Jaws. I remember Mcfarlane had released a really cool little Jaws/Orca playset diorama. Ten years ago I had it in my hand and said "its cool but not for $40". Now they go for insane amounts on Ebay...They made some cool great stuff...Maybe Mcfarlane should take a stab at the 1/6 market!:wink1:

Cause Spawn sucks.

And because of what he's done with Miracleman, him and his ego can rott all the way into the red.

What happened is he went bankrupt.

Ego got a little big, paid silly amounts for baseballs, got into fights with other creators that he then got destroyed in court for, and he put all his eggs in one basket with Spawn so when that trailed off there was nothing to pick up the slack.

Cause he went off the rails and made 800 different Elvis figures and a bunch of random rubbish nobody wanted.
Shoudlve stuck to the Movie maniacs, Spawn, Music, Horror and movies figures.
I was eagerly awaiting the 2nd Motley Crue box set, until it was cancelled and removed from the websites coming soon list.
Still have all the old figures, but all the new stuff he releases is just poodoo.

at some point in there, the quality went to trash too. they became more action figure than collectible in my view (thats not a compliment). paint and sculpts went to crap.

The main culprit was the closing down of alot of the mall retail specialty shops like Suncoast etc. that sold his stuff. When that happened he tried to get his figures into Wal-Marts and Targets which meant the gore had to go, and it was just one misstep after another trying to find mass retail friendly properties, Napoleon Dynamite, Hannah Barbera, Guitar Hero, Baeouwulf, all flops. The Spawn market being played out, and the shift of collectors moving into 1/6 didn't help matters.

This sounds like the best argument.

Some interesting points...I never really thought of the fact that Media Play and other specialty stores which heavily stocked his products went under...

...I find it amazing that people still buy sportspicks...how many Albert Pujols do you want??

Back