McFarlane Toys: The Walking Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't get it. For years now toy companies have been trying to hook us on smaller scaled figures while cutting back on the larger 6-7" figures. And now this year everyone is going big? McFarlane back to 7" figures, Hasbro making 12" figures again. What the crap? At least Hasbro isn't axing any of their scales - just adding to them. I do like the look of the 7" figures, I really do, but getting them instead of the 5" line is the wrong choice. I think many would buy both. Right now the reaction is 99% negative toward the scale change (I saw just one guy on facebook happy about the switch). It does't take a rocket scientist to see that they royally messed up.

Keep the 5" line going. Keep the 10" line going. Keep the building sets going (as long as those big heads come with both head sizes, I'm good with them). Just ADD the 7" line to the mix. I'll collect all four. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will gladly add them to the other collections. Just don't make them a replacement for something that wasn't broken. They've just come too far now to do this. After the first two waves starting off rocky it might have been a good move. But 9 waves in was just poor thinking.

Right now I've very torn. I don't want them to get away with treating their collectors like this, but I do love the property and the items. I hope I won't have to choose between taking a stand and enjoying the figures for what they are. I really hope we get an annoucement in the next week saying they'll keep the 5" Walking Dead line going. They've lost Halo and I honestly don't know how many Assassian's Creed collectors are out there, but the Walking Dead seems to be the key focal point here with the scale change. I think most people would be OK with TWD was the only 5" line moving forward (both TV and comic).

I still want to know where the new comic figures are though. Where are those severed heads? :tap

I 100% get why it's frustrating to collectors but for me, size never bothered me, having figures taller or bigger than the other. I do understand the need/want for consistency. I've been a long time McFarlane collector, going back to the first Spawn figures. The Movies Maniacs line is probably my favorite line of figures of all time. I'm in the minority with this opinion but I'm stoked for the 7 inch figure and if we get something along the lines of those Movie Manics figures, I'll be very very happy.

I 100% get why it's frustrating to collectors but for me, size never bothered me, having figures taller or bigger than the other. I do understand the need/want for consistency. I've been a long time McFarlane collector, going back to the first Spawn figures. The Movies Maniacs line is probably my favorite line of figures of all time. I'm in the minority with this opinion but I'm stoked for the 7 inch figure and if we get something along the lines of those Movie Manics figures, I'll be very very happy.

Theres nothing wrong with the 7inch line, as long as it compliments with the whole series. People just dont want it to REPLACE the current 5inch line thats all.

It not like they've been cranking the TV (or comic) line out at a break neck speed. Just two waves a year - one for the fall premiere and one for the spring premiere. They've got plenty of time in the year to keep releasing the 5" line and the 7" line. I just don't get it. Sure making a move as a company back to 7" is all fine and dandy, but don't just cut off something that is actually selling well because of it. I'm thinking Todd has finally become the George Lucas of his company and needs to step away and let more competent hands run the show now.

****ing ridiculous. Boycott the 7in line. I'm in denial and hoping this is a big joke.

ncbFCwv.jpg

I'm really hoping the vastly negative reaction to the 5" line ending for the 7" line quickly gets them to change their game plan. I really don't see why they couldn't continue with both. Is it a licensing thing? I think they really need to explain the whole situation to us because right now its just insultingly stupid. And doing it BEFORE wave 9 hit is just going to guarantee that wave rots on the pegs unless they announce the line's countenance. You NEVER say something is ending before the last wave is out unless its been hyped up as the final wave. If they don't correct the situation quickly and 9 bombs at retail, they might not be interested in carrying a 10th wave should it happen.

c8d75ab8a773d78196fe337fd16968f2.jpg

Found this on Mcfarlane Facebook post.
Didn't carry on looking for anymore comments but surely this is it for the to line.

Now what should I do:/
Buy the remaining Daryl deluxe and series 9 and that's it and just concentrate on comics and 10inch line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF are with those "big heads" for the construction sets? Is it just them trying to get rid of heads they've already made or something? Looks totally random and stupid haha.

They should have done 7" to begin with...what a completely back asswards company

Series 9 can kiss my ass

The shelf space on the Walking Dead line hardly takes any space, yet continue to sell out around me and around the country. Gamestop, Target, Meijer, Toysrus, all get Walking Dead stock and within a week they sell out. Does anyone here see any older figures shelf warming? Does anyone here have a huge McFarlane walking Dead aisle? I don't, usually it is a little box the figures are in or they hang on a single shelf peg. I'm not sure what he means by "retailers want in return of shelfspacing." So, the retailers asked you to end the line because of that 1x1 space you have for your product isn't worth it because you only pump out two waves per year and never restock? Then that space is sitting empty..... even then..... that space they have is not reserved by them. At my stores.... after the Walking Dead stuff sells.... there is other things in that spot where they used to sit. It is never empty. My understanding of shelf spacing is that a company reserves that spot for there line and nothing else can take that spot. When the Star War aisle is empty you don't see Transformers there, it remains empty. I was under the impression that companies basically pay retailers for the shelf spacing and they sell the product. They are making money both ways. I feel like Todd is deflecting the anger of the fans off of him and onto "retailers." I wish he would just specifically say what the issue is with the retailers. They owe us at least a real explanation and not the one that was just posted.

They should have done 7" to begin with...what a completely back asswards company

Series 9 can kiss my ass

I agree with the top line, but I am not sure abandoning Series 9 is the best option. To me, by not buying Series 9, it is proving McFarlane right and that there choice to end the 5" line was a good one. I think we should buy the **** out of series 9 and give the final wave very strong sales numbers. Then come the 7" line, don't buy it. Leave those to rot. Then maybe when they compare sale numbers of the 5" to 7", they will see the 5" sold better and realize the mistake they made.

Just a question in regards to those mini figures with the big heads.... those heads are in scale with the 5" figures, right?

I agree with the top line, but I am not sure abandoning Series 9 is the best option. To me, by not buying Series 9, it is proving McFarlane right and that there choice to end the 5" line was a good one. I think we should buy the **** out of series 9 and give the final wave very strong sales numbers. Then come the 7" line, don't buy it. Leave those to rot. Then maybe when they compare sale numbers of the 5" to 7", they will see the 5" sold better and realize the mistake they made.

Just a question in regards to those mini figures with the big heads.... those heads are in scale with the 5" figures, right?

One of the reps said they are not in scale with the 5inch line. The mini big figs will come with small and big head and are to replace the blind bags. No more blind bags now and those littles cases instead.

One of the reps said they are not in scale with the 5inch line. The mini big figs will come with small and big head and are to replace the blind bags. No more blind bags now and those littles cases instead.

And I've read that one of the reps says the ARE in scale with the 5" line. :dunno

haha beats me then. Anyhows, Im not interested in the mini big figs, so wont be paying much attention to them.

I love the construction sets, but I don't like when any company does blind bag figures. That being said, this big-head thing reeks of a money grab. Obviously the sets themselves won't be that effected, but we'll be going from a $3 blind bag figure, to (I'm guessing) $6-8 big-head figure w/ mini display case. With that much more plastic going into the head and case, that's going to shoot the price right up. I'd take blind bags over that.

The death of the 5" line is complete BS.

Back