MaulFan's Illustrations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, good good. You should sell them as prints on Deviantart when they are all perfected and finished to your liking.

I'd hate to get bagged on copyright infringement, that's the only thing stopping me from selling this stuff.

My goal once I've done all 4 is to try and get them to Stallone himself to see, I know an artist that is friends with him that I hope might help me get my work to Sly somehow, that'd be the ultimate for me, if I could know Sly saw my work it'd be a highlight in my life.

Ah yeah, I totally forgot about the copyright part.

Well I do hope it works out because that other one is turning out to be quite a piece. I hope it will become really detailed.

It's in a very raw stage, it's just my process, block in all the areas of tones in a vector style first, then use various tools and methods to blend it.

Don't forget, this:

R20.jpg

Started as this:

R13.jpg

It's my style, all the Rambos will look like the Rambo 4 when I'm done.

It's in a very raw stage, it's just my process, block in all the areas of tones in a vector style first, then use various tools and methods to blend it.

Don't forget, this:

R20.jpg

Started as this:

R13.jpg

It's my style, all the Rambos will look like the Rambo 4 when I'm done.

U know what u should do on ur next piece that I think would look cool.

After u blend the the objects together and all the shading and hilites are complete....u should go back and add really white sharp hilites to it. Like on areas that you think would have the most shine....for example...the tip of his nose....on the eyes to make them look wet.

I dunno....i think it can add that extra depth....but whatever....it looks awesome regardless!

Look this is what i mean:
R20copy.jpg

I just added a couple more hilites.

U know what u should do on ur next piece that I think would look cool.

After u blend the the objects together and all the shading and hilites are complete....u should go back and add really white sharp hilites to it. Like on areas that you think would have the most shine....for example...the tip of his nose....on the eyes to make them look wet.

I dunno....i think it can add that extra depth....but whatever....it looks awesome regardless!

I just added a couple more hilites.

It certainly raises something that I find with some of my work. I think I get too caught up in trying to match shade for shade or get afraid if highlights or shadows are too strong, but I think for dimension I need to do that, I'm actually going to look at the skin tones on the portrait there and pop some of the shadows too to make his face more dimensional.

Latest update on the Rambo 2 piece, face has been bothering me and been a bit of a struggle, particularly his teeth and left eye, as I put more detail in he's been looking a bit neanderthal-ish and I don't want that so I've been going back and forth a bit with lots of tweaks and attempts to lose that effect. Also starting to apply some of the highlight and shadow boosting to this piece.

9.jpg

Tonight was all about the right arm :lol, spent time reworking parts that were already there and filling in more of the empty space, trying to darken the dark areas to really make them pop against the lighter stuff.

10.jpg

Small update tonight, didn't get much done today, but, each update I post is to show that day's work so, I'm posting this regardless, went in and started to add some highlights in his hair to give it a little more life.

12.jpg

How do you do the hair, and I am surprised you don't use illustrator. AI is more of a vector program. It's much better actually for vector work than PS is.

I do the vector work in Photoshop because I'm just much more comfortable in the program, plus you don't see it, but almost everything has layer masks. The skin tones are all masked to never go outside the body shape, if you took the mask off the edges would all look sloppy, with AI I'd have to be precise. If I want to do pure vector art I do work in AI, but for these, the AI style stage of my process is just easier for me to work with Photoshop. Another thing I do that needs PS is creating channels for selections out of some of my vector shapes, so PS just offers me all the tools I need.

There'll be some detail to it, but it's actually pretty shadowed.

3117559rambo2.jpg

I'm just really happy with the eyes and mouth after today's work, I've been struggling to get that intense, pissed off look with his left eye and his mouth and I finally feel like I've got it.

Been on a bit of an illustration break, and still on break from Rambo, don't want to force that and do bad work, but I'm in the mood for other things so onto a new project.

1.jpg

Back