Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro_zombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is just a copy and paste from another thread but the offer still stands.

I keep popping in now and then to offer false hopes for my pads. That hope is still there once my life slows down haha.

I am willing though to part with my master if anyone is interested in casting them for the community! I simply just cant find the time anymore to do the things I love but I still want those who have been asking to have them. If anyone is seriously interested please PM me. I will send the mold free of charge granted your intent is to offer them up to the community

Last edited:
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion step by step

awsome jon. great work. ill keep ur pics so when my ray comesi can add the changes to the pack aswel.

btw, my stuff guna be ready for shipping soon or u still got stuff to do mate?

thanks

This is awesome. Mattel did give us a great base to start with but all of these little enhancements make a big difference. Looking forward to the final product.

Looking forward to see your stuff. That ribbon cable looks great, nice job man.

NICE!! Thanks for putting this together! I too have a 1/1 outfit and I really appreciate what you've done in 1/6th for us!

The pads...the ribbon cable- I'm in for that kit for damn sure!

And thanks for all the other tips!

I am also in for 4 kits of ALL extra parts needed to make these babies as accurate as possible. :rock

Thanks for taking the time to put this all together for us Astro! :duff

Interested in the kit also, however, I have a question for everyone: Is the Mattel jumpsuit really that bad enough to be replaced?

Great post Astro,
looking forward to those pads!

Interested in the kit also, however, I have a question for everyone: Is the Mattel jumpsuit really that bad enough to be replaced?

Not really, it can be died I guess, but IMO it looks great!
Though my pic is crappy... :lol

DSC01852.jpg

Nice work!

I'm also in the process of modifying the proton pack. But I'm actually removing all the rubber parts but the ribbed hoses and the boots on the non-ribbed hoses from the proton pack. I need some really thin guage brass rod to use in pinning the replacment wire "hoses" and the boots to the replacment hex pieces. I ended up cutting the rubber brass rod off and using a real one.

Lookin' forward to seeing your replacement pieces!

- TGM

cool mate, ull have toget pics of ur pack when its done!

Nice work!

I'm also in the process of modifying the proton pack. But I'm actually removing all the rubber parts but the ribbed hoses and the boots on the non-ribbed hoses from the proton pack. I need some really thin guage brass rod to use in pinning the replacment wire "hoses" and the boots to the replacment hex pieces. I ended up cutting the rubber brass rod off and using a real one.

Lookin' forward to seeing your replacement pieces!

- TGM

Mattel jumpsuit isn't bad from a technical perspective. It has most of the pockets and faux zipper pulls which IMO makes it better than the Saturday Toys tan coveralls. But it does have a drawback that leaves it a little short (pun intended). The pant legs of the suit barely reach the top of the boots and will not remain tucked in some poses. On a taller figure body (i.e. true-types) this may be a problem. If your going to use a DML body then it shouldn't bother you. There are better flightsuits out there but they require dyeing and replacement patches.

Thanks for all the comments guys so far guys! Ill have an update with the belt in a little bit (hopefully later tonight).

Pretty much what Spook_nukem said

My gripe with mattels suit is when I put it on a hot toys body it looked very lose in the arms. Like a Skinny guy in a large. I think mattels suit isn't all that bad and really just needs a bit of a color change. However I find the giant zipper to dragons suit a draw back. If I could find more of those prison break jump suits I would probably switch out the zippers.

feeling not good now im hearing some bad size issues with this mattel suit. is it that bad of a fit guys??

and i gotta day, i like the prison break overalls the least. im not sure what it is but i jst dont like em. i love the dragon ones as already stated, but im taking a liking slowly to the mattel suit, but it HAS to have changes, the colour to start.

btw astro, regarding the arms, dont 4get once the elbow pads are on that should take away most of the baggyness on the sleeves, and ifu watch the suit in the movie it isnt really tight fitted on the arms anyway.

Thanks for all the comments guys so far guys! Ill have an update with the belt in a little bit (hopefully later tonight).

Pretty much what Spook_nukem said

My gripe with mattels suit is when I put it on a hot toys body it looked very lose in the arms. Like a Skinny guy in a large. I think mattels suit isn't all that bad and really just needs a bit of a color change. However I find the giant zipper to dragons suit a draw back. If I could find more of those prison break jump suits I would probably switch out the zippers.

As promised heres a few updates.

These are the real cloth belts with metal hardware. After some trial and error I ended up finding a way to color them and get it to be the right gray color
100_3890.jpg

Here is my 90% finished belt gizmo. I still have to add the orange round resistors at the top. I got rid of the top row of black resistors to keep the size down. Also pretty much everything but the nixie tubes will be covered by the leather holder so I didn't want to spend too much on the innards. Overall this thing is about the size of a dime
100_3892.jpg

Last is my radio. This is not the radio that will be included in the kit. Instead this is just the mattel radio with my real MT-500. As you can see, all you really have to do is paint a silver trim and add a knob to the top and its pretty much accurate. Sorry about the lighting.
100_3888.jpg

Astro, will you be offering the cloth belts as part of your kits too??? I sure hope so!!! :rock

If the cloth pistol belt is one of the DID belts I would recommend adding a very small dab of Elmers/PVA glue to the rear of the eyelets on the belt. Because they aren't really fastened into the belt as per say and they can come loose/fall off.

They are really tiny so use a toothpick or something to apply it careful like.

- TGM

Last edited:
Back