Mattel: DC Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of points:

As Swampy and Etrigan are my favorite characters after Batman, I am absolutely overjoyed with this announcement.

I wish they had stuck to canon, and had given Swampy only one ear. His design is an interesting blend of Wrightson, Bissette, and the latter-day Vertigo iterations.

UnMen are a fantastic touch - let's have a mutant Arcane as a CnC down the road.

In the video that unveiled the figure, a seamline is clearly visible that encircles the face. Could this be an indication of possible variant portraits?

swampy1.jpg

That's a painting of Swampy I did as a demo in my digital painting class.

We have entire threads devoted to Joker socks for God's sake, so the mod who closed the Swamp Thing thread needs to reconsider their decision.

I don't think there is enough interest in that type of toy for a specific figure to warrant its own thread here. Whatever you think about Joker customs, 1/6th scale figures are a focus of this forum, and smaller, Hasbro and Mattel type toys just aren't. Better for a single thread per toy type for those types of things in my opinion.

Joker customs are fantastic (got one myself,) but really, a socks thread?

DC finally wresting Swamp Thing away from Vertigo and allowing Mattel to bring him to the fans is worth it's own thread, IMO.

I disagree with your assertion that this is a 1/6 scale-centric forum, as there seem to be loads of threads dedicated to 1/4, 1/2, and full-size pieces. Maybe DCUC is too close to " kids' toys" for some of the "sensitive" types around here...

I didn't say this forum was 1/6 scale centric, but that 1/6 scale figures are a focus of the forum. As are statues and other types collectibles as, primarily, sold through Sideshow's website. Fwoosh is more focused on smaller scale figures, so it would make more sense to have a Swamp Thing thread there. I'm personally a huge fan of Minimates and Kubricks, but starting a thread for the newest wave of Marvel Minimates just wouldn't make sense given what this forum is and who frequents it (in general).

For custom socks, there is a thread where a customizer is making those socks and so it warrants its own thread. Same would go for any custom piece being sold.

There is no sensitivity to terms like "toys" or "dollies" or anything else from my perspective, but the fact remains that this forum caters to certain types of collectibles and is structured to reflect that.

Talking about Swamp Thing in general in his own thread is fine, but if its the figure, then it needs to stay in this thread. As you pointed out, we have enough threads of individual figures/items as it is. And those are only allowed because they are from individuals, not a massive company like Mattel that has their own line.

So SDCC figure Swampy stays here. If you want to talk about Swampy's Brightest Day return, etc, etc you can open a thread about that.

Maybe Mattel has certain plans on having rubber skin on an articulated armature and this is their way of testing the procedure and product. Maybe they are smart enough to challenge Hot toys into the 1/6 scale figures. There are some great sculptors here, state-side and all they need is ramp up the paint quality post production.

I don't know. Judging by the 1/6th scale Ghostbusters, there's a whole heck of a lot more that Mattel's gonna need to work on other than paint if they want to contend with the big boys.

And I really doubt that is their aim.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that there is still a wide gap between Mattel's product and HT but we also have a host of great sculptors that can do great sculpts: i.e. Adam, Erick, Trevor, Bobby... That Mattel needs to tap into. I guess I just want a different alternative than HT's import prices right now. I mean, 30 dollars for a 10 inch, rubber coated figure. That is a steal, in my book. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't say that out loud where Mattel can see it. :D 60 dollars for a decent 12 inch figure. Mattel is doing right by my book, bank book that is...

As for Mattel's experimentation, I like that they are not resting on their butts getting comfortable. I would like them to listen more to feedback on their experiments, just in case it doesn't go great.
Like the new ab articulation on the female gl figures. Horrible articulation with no movement. I mean, isn't that the meaning of the word, "articulated"?

I'm fine with them experimenting, but just don't do it on a SDCC figure where any QC issues can't be dealt with. They'll just say SOL to any dud Swamp Things.

The problem is, collectors keep buying Matty's stuff despite horrible QC problems and Digital River apparently being the most incompetently run business in the country. Folks keep buying. So, why would Matty change their behavior? They don't give a ____. They're getting paid :lol

I'm willing to bet that since it's rubberized and mostly one big piece, the problem will happen in the joints. Maybe broken joints or loose joints inside the rubber?

I'm willing to bet that since it's rubberized and mostly one big piece, the problem will happen in the joints. Maybe broken joints or loose joints inside the rubber?

I NEED that Mattel: DC Universe Classics Swamp Thing SDCC 2011 Exclusive Figure! :D :rock

View attachment 35772

Can someone pick me up one maybe two of these at the show?

A BIG thanks to my good buddy (Anton Phibes) Richard who showed me this. :D You rock buddy!:D :rock

Nick

I love the package with the mask peeking out. Wonder if people will be wearing the masks around at the Con.

So far I've seen two exclusives I'll be going after at the Con, this and the Indiana Jones cancelled wave.

so I heard this will be sold on matty..If anyone knows...Is that the same $30 price tag as at the con? Just wondering since it won't feature his little pet friends.

Also, I've never ordered anything from matty..is it normally hectic and hard to actually place an order?

Matty will probably be impossible to order from when the SDCC stuff immediately goes up, (for the first couple of hours) because their site can't handle the traffic that it gets. But if past history is any indication, the DC and Ghostbusters-related stuff will stay in stock long enough for you to be able to order. MOTU. . .not so much.

A SDCC DCUC figure goes MotU fast too Kar. Swamp Thing won't be easy to get on Matty or the con. I'm going to the con and I'm even worried about getting one.

Seems like the Wonder Twins and Plastic Man were up for plenty long enough for me to order them (several hours after being listed, at least) while the MOTU guys seem to sell out in 2 minutes. But I don't know how much the line has grown in popularity over the last year or how popular Swampie might be compared to those other guys. My assumption is that he would be comparable to Plastic Man, who is another cult-type character who also had some nifty features that distinguished him from other figures.

Back