Mattel: DC Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running a little late tonight, but the week before the holidays is always hectic. I'm working on getting the Poppies ballots set up - yep, we'll be doing the Poppies again during the first couple weeks of January, as well as my own picks for best and worst of the year, plus you'll have an opportunity to vote in the People's Picks!

Tonight I'm looking at the first half of the new DCUC Green Lantern wave, including Kyle Rayner, Mongul and Black Hand. Next week I'll check out the rest of the series, as well as get started (and hopefully finished) with wave 14.

You can find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

Buttmunch - you are gonna love it. I just opened mine right now. I'll post pics tonight, gotta run of to work. I will say that I am pleasantly surprised with the double joints.

One of these days my table will be less cluttered with projects and I will have time to take photos of these new sets but until then, here are a few things from the Green lantern classics that I think deserves some attention.
Dead Abin Sur. Love the head sculpt but more importantly, notice that it has articulation on the wrist. Similar to what Green Arrow had. I really like this particular articulation and wish that mattel would do it more on their line. Also, shows the added range of movement on the double articulation on the elbows.
Picture389-1.jpg

Here's a few more pics showing the difference on the range of motion. For the arms, not too much difference maybe an added 10 degrees. However, what I like the most is that in normal straight pose, the added articulation doesn't detract from the sculpt. Notice the knee joints on both figures. Straight on it looks just fine.

Picture390.jpg

The double joints on the knee actually adds a lot more movement.
Picture391-1.jpg

So a quick informal pole for you guys regarding variants. As my collection continues to grow, I'm starting to ask myself if I really need Mary Batson in white and red? do I really need two Martain Manhunters? or a black or blue Wildcat. You get the idea.

Ideally, I'd just want a definitive version of each figure so I'm going to end up with doubles (I have wave 13 incoming and I'm going to end up with an extra Cheetah) and skipping figures (I don't need a Renegade Nightwing since I already have the blue and black)
So should I keep these variants? Sell em? what are you guys doing?

Im a completist with the line, so I have all of them. I'd say if you see yourself as more of a "selector" with the line, then no, you dont need two Marys, two Cheetahs, Nightwings or whomever. BUT, if you think somewhere down the line you're gonna kick yourself if one of these variants shows up in your favorite mag, cartoon, or trading card set, then play it safe and get as much as you can. In short, it depends on your collecting taste, you know?

I'm not really a completist. I get and keep the figures that are my preferred versions; i.e. white Mary for the Super Buddies, blue Wildcat, classic Fate, etc.

However, because of Mattel's brilliant marketing strategery I end up with variants I DON'T want (Mosaic John, grey-templed Hal, minty fresh Aquaman) due to bad choices for multi-packs or because I want to complete a CnC.

Having said that, I DO have a few multiples in the display. MetalliHal is with the Corps; the TRU Batman (no oval) is with the bat-family.

So it's like Fett said; depends on your preference. My preference just happens to be all over the place. ;)

For me, it depends on the type of variants. If it's a different character, I would keep it. Wonder woman variant - artemis. Starman's variant.
Then again, I might do doubles like Swift with Green lantern as I am thinking of separating him and his cohorts from the main group and I need Jordan for the JL lineup.

Nice pics AJ! You really can see the knee improvement in that shot. Hopefully this will become the new standard articulation in the line. I just can't believe they gave a new body like Black Hand that articulation but cheaped out on Kyle who was shown at SDCC with it. I mean he is on the blank buck body that can be reused till we vomit. And Black Hand is probably a one-off. Weird Mattel. Werid.

And just an FYI to everyone, even though the package says is Abin Sur, its actually Ammon Sur. So we get even one more Sinestro Corps member in this wave, albeit a dead one.

For me, it depends on the type of variants. If it's a different character, I would keep it. Wonder woman variant - artemis. Starman's variant.
Then again, I might do doubles like Swift with Green lantern as I am thinking of separating him and his cohorts from the main group and I need Jordan for the JL lineup.

I don't get why Mattel does that, the two Starmans are completely different characters and sculpts! How is that a variant? All they share is the name and basic powers. :dunno

I agreed there, IC. It would be like making Alan Scott the Hal Jordan variant. Got my Gold and Obsidian today! Opening them as we speak. Went looking for the Will vs. Fear pack today to no avail, though.

Is it already?:thud: Oh man, I love DCUC but my bank account is almost dry. I did talk with Richard at CSC when I picked up Gl Classics and he wasn't expecting it until end of January. At this point, I would actually prefer that.

Is it already?:thud: Oh man, I love DCUC but my bank account is almost dry. I did talk with Richard at CSC when I picked up Gl Classics and he wasn't expecting it until end of January. At this point, I would actually prefer that.

Even though CSC is really fast on getting Sideshow and HT stuff, they are usually dead last on DCUC for some reason. Mattel hates them I think. No really. BBTS and ETC got their GLC like last month and CSC is just getting theres.

And you live near CSC huh? Maybe we should see of Thomas would let you snag your Iron Man parts before sending the rest to me? :lol

And IC, don't worry. Things will slow down. Mattel hasn't even bothered to tell us what is in the next wave! I mean 16 is in stores and 17 is still unannounced? What is up with that!?

Honestly, Brant if we could make that work I would go for it. Save me some shipping money. He should know me by now. You can talk with him or Richard and leave my name, Junior Bacani and if you're go for it and he's okay then I would be great with that. You've got Pm and money, too. :D

I don't know if Mattel should hate them. Last I heard they had 300 orders to fill on their wave 15 set. I figure that makes them a big enough customer. They were getting them earlier b4 but I am cool with them. As long as they get my orders filled I am willing to wait. Plus - they tend to stick by their word. Even if they loose money on something which I think happened on one of the dcuc waves.

We can definately see if that is possible. If they are familar enough with you it could hapeen I guess.

But remember wave 9? CSC got passed over so Walmart and other 'big' retailers could carry the wave. So I think that does prove they don't care about CSC, despite them putting up with their crap wave after wave. And Mattel has never made it up to them by sending a wave to them first or anything like that. I think the guys are CSC are great so I continue to suppor them, despite Mattel's lack thereof.

Back