Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally watched the MOTU movie for the first time. It's a little rocky but goddamn it has some production value. Some really gorgeous costumes, makeup, and conceptual design.

Yes, I watched it recently and was surprised how well it holds up. I think it's underrated.

The Fwoosh has pics and a review of the latest MOTUC disaster, Point Dread and the Talon Fighter.

First Look: Masters of the Universe Classics Point Dread and Talon Fighter | The Fwoosh

The ship is probably the only thing good about this set, but even it has some serious flaws. Paint apps for one thing are terrible, and here we go again with STICKERS. LOL! Choose from 3 different lame display images to use on the dashboard of the Talon Fighter.

Both halves of Point Dread or just that, DREADFUL! Mattel completely destroyed the 4H's vision of Point Dread.

Teela? Well, I just don't know what to say.

The only thing we know now for sure is, the flaws are a widespread issue. At this point the price isn't even important because I wouldn't accept this set for free.

I finally watched the MOTU movie for the first time. It's a little rocky but goddamn it has some production value. Some really gorgeous costumes, makeup, and conceptual design.

Well it's William Stout, Mobeus and Ralph McQuarrie doing all that stuff. You should see some of the stuff that was intended to be in the movie. It was going to be far far grander affair until Cannon went **** up.

I own some of the production art and the Power and Honor foundation have a lot more stuff. So much had to be cut it's crazy to think what might've been.

The Fwoosh has pics and a review of the latest MOTUC disaster, Point Dread and the Talon Fighter.

First Look: Masters of the Universe Classics Point Dread and Talon Fighter | The Fwoosh

The ship is probably the only thing good about this set, but even it has some serious flaws. Paint apps for one thing are terrible, and here we go again with STICKERS. LOL! Choose from 3 different lame display images to use on the dashboard of the Talon Fighter.

Both halves of Point Dread or just that, DREADFUL! Mattel completely destroyed the 4H's vision of Point Dread.

The only thing we know now for sure is, the flaws are a widespread issue. At this point the price isn't even important because I wouldn't accept this set for free.

While the set got a prettydecent score despite the adressed issues, I can see your point. It is sometimes frustrating to see what could have been. Personally I was even disappointed from the teaser. Looking at the Icon Heroes Grayskull statue and the addon release of PD and the lower part of CG, I have decided to skip everything building related from MOTUC (same for Snake Mountain btw). Its just not worth it.

This being said, the vehicles have both impressed me, so I will most likely buy the set because of the TF. Comparing this to the Battle Ram (that featured even a reused front), the askingprice would be well in line for a figure and a vehicle that hughe. So personally I see the PD base just as a nice addon that I will most likely not display anyway.
Summed up the totally missed Teela variant is a bigger issue for me. The head is a joke and Mattel should send out replacements to every buyer. Something must have gone wrong in the casting process over there in China. However even the body doesnt look very convincing. Looks like I will still have to hunt for a second original Teela. I missed a few good prices lately (something in the 40s for a lose one), but it seems as they are out there.

:duff

Nobody quite makes me feel like I'm 5 years old like Mattel does.

While the set got a prettydecent score despite the adressed issues, I can see your point. It is sometimes frustrating to see what could have been. Personally I was even disappointed from the teaser. Looking at the Icon Heroes Grayskull statue and the addon release of PD and the lower part of CG, I have decided to skip everything building related from MOTUC (same for Snake Mountain btw). Its just not worth it.

This being said, the vehicles have both impressed me, so I will most likely buy the set because of the TF. Comparing this to the Battle Ram (that featured even a reused front), the askingprice would be well in line for a figure and a vehicle that hughe. So personally I see the PD base just as a nice addon that I will most likely not display anyway.
Summed up the totally missed Teela variant is a bigger issue for me. The head is a joke and Mattel should send out replacements to every buyer. Something must have gone wrong in the casting process over there in China. However even the body doesnt look very convincing. Looks like I will still have to hunt for a second original Teela. I missed a few good prices lately (something in the 40s for a lose one), but it seems as they are out there.

:duff

Masters-of-the-Universe-Classics-MOTUC-Talon-Fighter-and-Point-Dread-Review-teela-faces.jpg

It's just bad. All around.

That Teela face looks like a blow-up doll and from the side it's worse because everything has been flattened. I wonder if they didn't screw up the mold somehow during production just like the unhelmeted NA He-man head has a really distorted jawline on one side. I am still excited about the Talon Fighter. I think it looks ridiculous on Grayskull because of how large the vehicle is but I believe the vintage was very similar in proportion. It will be a separate display piece in my collection.

View attachment 213516

Mmh... Looking at that pic, I never realized how good bikini Teelas face looks. Maybe it would be worth to resculpt her hair for the classic red look and try to switch the body with Teela 2.0... On the other hand, why bother with Teela 2.0 if you can get bikini Teela and Goddess for a decent price. Some mix and match and a repaint and you will have a perfect Teela variant... :dunno

Mmh... Looking at that pic, I never realized how good bikini Teelas face looks. Maybe it would be worth to resculpt her hair for the classic red look and try to switch the body with Teela 2.0... On the other hand, why bother with Teela 2.0 if you can get bikini Teela and Goddess for a decent price. Some mix and match and a repaint and you will have a perfect Teela variant... :dunno

That's what I thought too. It's like the pretty girl who brings her ugly friends with her to the bar to make her look good.

Well it's William Stout, Mobeus and Ralph McQuarrie doing all that stuff. You should see some of the stuff that was intended to be in the movie. It was going to be far far grander affair until Cannon went **** up.

I own some of the production art and the Power and Honor foundation have a lot more stuff. So much had to be cut it's crazy to think what might've been.

That makes a lot of sense. It felt like that kind of production when watching it. It felt like it had been hacked up quite a bit. You don't happen to know of anywhere online that you can see any of the production art?

Yikes... New Teela looks quite bad indeed... Battleground Teela is the best!
Specially because with a mix and match with regular Teela you got yourself my favorite Teela look of them all! Mini comic Teela:

a5da1f044a665925ffe82fbb6a306e07.jpg

Masters-of-the-Universe-Classics-MOTUC-Talon-Fighter-and-Point-Dread-Review-teela-faces.jpg

I think this photo also really shows how much the line's quality has declined over the years. The original Teela looks so much nicer than even Battleground Teela. The paint in particular seems to have fallen quite a bit. I swear the molding looks a lot crisper as well which actually would make sense as the molds do degrade over time and they all share a lot of the same parts.

I think this photo also really shows how much the line's quality has declined over the years. The original Teela looks so much nicer than even Battleground Teela. The paint in particular seems to have fallen quite a bit. I swear the molding looks a lot crisper as well which actually would make sense as the molds do degrade over time and they all share a lot of the same parts.

The original Teela is the best looking female in the line

So will anyone actually question the 4H or Mattel in person about this fiasco at their next convention appearance or will everyone just be nice so they can get more toys? I don't mean violent confrontation ... but a genuine attempt to call them out in a large public group for what they did here. They won't reissue a corrected version of this playset and they will blame us for not buying it so the only consolation is of course a public shaming of those responsible. Something that can live forever on YouTube.

So will anyone actually question the 4H or Mattel in person about this fiasco at their next convention appearance or will everyone just be nice so they can get more toys? I don't mean violent confrontation ... but a genuine attempt to call them out in a large public group for what they did here. They won't reissue a corrected version of this playset and they will blame us for not buying it so the only consolation is of course a public shaming of those responsible. Something that can live forever on YouTube.

I totally agree with this sentiment. However, not only will anyone have the spine to call them out, but even if they did it would have no effect. Mattel simply does not care, and will continue to cut costs and produce inferior products, while calling it an ADULT collector line no less. Why? because they know people will still buy them regardless. A huge amount of people will need to vote with their wallets, but even then it's a 50/50 shot. They will either make better products or stop making them all together and find a new demographic to swindle.

Grown ass men having temper tantrums during conventions is quite pathetic, seriously, a couple of years ago I was at PowerCon and 2 POP fans made fools of themselves by whining like little babies to the point that even an 8 year old had to call them out.
In any case, most likely they are too far into production to fix anything.
And since it's not a Sub item, well... Too bad, so sad...
Hopefully we'll see an official Filmation Teela sooner rather than later...

That makes a lot of sense. It felt like that kind of production when watching it. It felt like it had been hacked up quite a bit. You don't happen to know of anywhere online that you can see any of the production art?

Indeed there is. Masters Of The Universe (The 1987 Film): Production Art
This barely skims the surface. There was a shed load of art produced for the movie as it was intended to be a huge epic movie and more than enough for a fascinating book. I recommend watching the doc Electric Boogaloo to get the full story behind it all and the equally compromised Superman IV.

Emiliano and I actually acquired some of the art you see. I happen to own the massive pan scan unused intro shot of Eternia. Emil owns much more.

Back