Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that's actually my point! :D
None of us can know if that was enough time or not enough time. Whether the some of the things turned out the way they did because of the time frame, or not. As a creative person working in a creative field that involves some manufacturing as well, I CAN say that sometimes you're called upon to do something in a short time frame simply because that's all the time that you can allot to it, and that the results can be just as great as they would have been with a longer period with "all hands on deck." In the end, it doesn't matter if it WASN'T enough time. The realities of business make you grow up fast and accept things that are imperfect. Or you don't make it long in the business world. That's my experience, at least. Again, it's not about saying the Castle is perfect. It's about being realistic about what the issues might be, what can be fixed, and what is just going to amount to fandom *****ing. :)

But this highlights one of the things I find most amusing about all of this. I think a certain amount of skepticism is very healthy. But some people want to have it both ways. They want to be totally skeptical of everything Scott says, but when it comes to the changes made to the Castle, they want to act as though, back then, they believed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING he said to a tee. :rotfl

I just don't get it! Maybe that's why I don't have an issue with this castle? At least not as much as some people do? I thought it was made abundantly clear changes could happen, so when they did... while I don't love all of them... most I can live with and I certainly wasn't surprised. If they can lower the jawbridge to make more room for figures in the doorway while it's open, I think it's awesome. I'd also love for them to eliminated the floating platform above the computer room that I think looks awkward and encroaches on the floor below. But I haven't seen a ton of people talking about that so I doubt it's even on their radar.

I also have faith in certain fans who saw it in person and thought it was huge in person. So that alleviates my worries, somewhat. I do feel like there's some "furniture shopping" going on here. You know how you can go pick out a couch and it seems reasonably sized at the store, but HUGE once you get it home? I think there's a little bit of that too, though of course there's no denying that there are still clearance issues, and the dungeon door is very silly where it's placed now.

Believe me, if they cut a ton of crap or the paint deco turns out crappy at SDCC I'll be cancelling my pre-order too! I'm not going to just blindly shell out money for this thing. But, at the same time, I just see a lot of people jumping to a lot of conclusions because they don't know the full score. And I've been on the other side of this. I'm a Senior Art Director for a large hobby company, and they have VERY passionate fans with message board after message board full of people with all these theories and assumptions that are SO far off base. And we just turn to each other and say "if they only knew!"

So I tend to keep that in mind when I'm the passionate fan talking about stuff where I don't have a ton of insight into the realities of producing something. :)

Well you explain your points well and I understand your view better

I just think they need to make this the best it can be and stop threatening of removing more accessories...

I was really excited for this,but after all these changes,I lost quite alot of excitement for this to the point where I just don't care now.I still want it,I am just not as thrilled anymore.So SDCC is going to be the end all be all (and that is even for the line as a whole).after this year,Two Bad is the last character I will really need to say I'm satisfied with MOTUC

That doesn't make any sense to me. What it sounds like you're saying is that because someone lies and are caught doing so we should not hold them accountable for lying?

Just because someone expects a lie doesn't mean that they should accept a lie.

I have to agree

lying gets you nowhere in life...whether its work,business,friends,relationships etc

when someone lies and repeats them often,its hard to trust a person anymore of what they have to say

Last edited:
I just think they need to make this the best it can be and stop threatening of removing more accessories...

I agree they definitely should not cut more. Or if there was a chance of stuff getting cut, they should have taken "at risk" items out that they didn't show in the b-sheet. That would have made a lot of sense to me. I really did not expect the jetpack or the suit of armor to be there. So if they kept them out at NYTF, it would have been a nice surprise if they made it later.

I don't think they are really "threatening" to remove accessories (which makes it seem like they would gain something by doing this) but just putting it out there that it's still possible. I am frustrated, though, that it went from $200 to $250 (for wiggle room) and we're STILL here with stuff possibly being cut. It really does seem like some poor forecasting. Prices from China are skyrocketing, etc, etc. But at least we KNOW they are skyrocketing. So it feels like they should have taken that into account.

The problem is, it's very possible that it wasn't an issue with forecasting. Again, this is ALL very speculative, but sometimes the spokesperson for a product can take the brunt of the criticism (it's kind of part of a Brand Manager's job) but the truth is in a big corporation you can have a lot of stuff taken out of your hands. It's very possible that Grayskull was costed out with a margin of X. And then once they got into the project there was a decision made by management that actually, they need to make it with a margin of Y (which was a greater margin) which led to cuts being made. Now, if you're in that situation and are a Brand Manager at Mattel, you're not going to go outbound saying that Senior Management made me increase the margins. So... I'm just wary of shooting the messenger. :)

I was really excited for this,but after all these changes,I lost quite alot of excitement for this to the point where I just don't care now.I still want it,I am just not as thrilled anymore.So SDCC is going to be the end all be all (and that is even for the line as a whole).after this year,Two Bad is the last character I will really need to say I'm satisfied with MOTUC

That's the saddest part to me! That there are people out there who's excitement is diminished about this. I can understand it. Call me a Pollyanna, though, but I really think once more people have this at home (barring any terrible disaster when the reveal at SDCC happens of the more final product) I think a lot of people will be excited.

You know, we're all here looking at pictures, and when you're shown this big mock-up and get all hyped up, any reality that doesn't match that is going to seem disappointing to some extent. I just think it's easy to get caught up in it all and when you hear the same criticisms over and over it starts to seep into your brain and maybe magnify things that, once we all start experiencing it first hand, won't be so bad.

All this bickering is pointless, and in my opinion quite pathetic...
Specially because it's just people trying to see this fail, and feel good about themselves...
These are toys... if some people get so worked-up about this, maybe they should re-think their priorities? :dunno

Yes it's a couple of inches smaller... yeah we're not getting the dungeon grate, boo-hoo!
Nobody is being forced into buying this, and there's plenty of alternatives for folks who want a humongous Castle that most likely they won't have the room to display... :lol

I'm getting sick of the temper tantrums by some members @ the .org, and apparently it's spilling over here too...
*sigh*

These are TOYS people... I can only imagine if when we were kids and we knew about all the mess going on backstage with the vintage figures, if people would've still complained?... :dunno...

Probably yes... :lol

Specially because it's just people trying to see this fail, and feel good about themselves...
These are toys... if some people get so worked-up about this, maybe they should re-think their priorities? :dunno

Yes it's a couple of inches smaller... yeah we're not getting the dungeon grate, boo-hoo!
Nobody is being forced into buying this, and there's plenty of alternatives for folks who want a humongous Castle that most likely they won't have the room to display... :lol

I'm getting sick of the temper tantrums by some members @ the .org, and apparently it's spilling over here too...
*sigh*

These are TOYS people... I can only imagine if when we were kids and we knew about all the mess going on backstage with the vintage figures, if people would've still complained?... :dunno...

Probably yes... :lol

I think its a weeeeeeeeee bit more than "just Toys". its a dream, people buy into their dreams to full fill their passion and childhood memories and if its not just perfect or something that causes a disruption in our force then by all means go crazy because another thing people love in their lives is drama, i know i do to go crazy from time to time whether it be toy or video game related because if you can't be passionate about something then why do it at all';

if i had to theorize, people who complain about people complaining wish they had something to complain about because everybody loves to complain about something... just saying. hi five :hi5:

Yeah and being critical about people being critical and calling them pathetic and misguided is a lot better. Everyone here is thus far pretty much talking about a products but you have resorted to name calling. Not cool man.

No, he is saying that people are saying " I trust nothing this man says"
While at the same time saying " he said it was going to have 14 solid jade turrets. And now it's not there!"

Well, if you don't trust him, why did you believe him in the first place?

To me that's kind of a semantic difference. But I can see it being a difference of reactions. The difference between being surprised when this happens or being angry. Being angry even when you're expecting something bad to happen makes sense. Maybe being surprised doesn't.

In this case though I think it's the intermittent reinforcement thing. Video games do it a lot. You reward the target not all the time, but some of the time and you get even stronger responses. Now I don't think Mattel is doing that on purpose, I wouldn't give them that much credit, but that would be my guess as to what is going on here.

Sometimes Mattel comes through, so most people always hope that this will be one of those times and get really upset when it's not. The Windraider is probably a pretty good counter example to Castle Greyskull. It pretty much delivered on all fronts.

Gotta question! Has anyone used the Early Access? If so, are you only able to log in during the early access day or can you log in any time to see what will be available? I've tried to log in and it doesn't allow me. Can anyone else with a subscription attempt a log in? Just curious before the Early Access comes up this month for Strobo!

When I pay 250.00 this is no longer simply a toy. Sorry, but I'm not part of the ORG fan boy drooling over a message board post by Scott Neitlich.

Critque the castle and Scott's statements on it all you like, after all this thing will esentially cost you the price of two Hot Toys figures with shipping included so, much thought and criticism should be part of a potential buyer's decision here, especially when so much is unclear at this point determining if this really is a good value or not, i don't think it is.

like I said...SDCC production reveal will be the final test

Those who are so excited for this "flawless" Castle better hope there is not a flux of customers cancelling in July/Aug....because just enough cancelations could result in you not getting the Castle at all

I think its a weeeeeeeeee bit more than "just Toys". its a dream, people buy into their dreams to full fill their passion and childhood memories and if its not just perfect or something that causes a disruption in our force then by all means go crazy because another thing people love in their lives is drama, i know i do to go crazy from time to time whether it be toy or video game related because if you can't be passionate about something then why do it at all';

if i had to theorize, people who complain about people complaining wish they had something to complain about because everybody loves to complain about something... just saying. hi five :hi5:

:pfft::lol:lol:lol

Yeah and being critical about people being critical and calling them pathetic and misguided is a lot better. Everyone here is thus far pretty much talking about a products but you have resorted to name calling. Not cool man.

Not calling names on anybody... I just said that the bickering is pointless and pathetic, not the people... :dunno Because, you know there are certainly more important things to be upset about...
I mean, I LOVE MOTU!! After Star Wars it is my MOST beloved franchise since I was a kid.
But I guess I just don't overanalyze things... either I like something or not. So I buy what I like and I don't buy what I don't like. (or sell it due to the sub... :lol)

Nobody's being forced into getting this Castle, yes, you can bring up the issues, but it is pretty clear that Mattel won't budge, so why waste energy on something that is pointless? :dunno

IF it really makes someone THAT upset, then take legal action or go ahead an protest outside of Mattel's HQ, make petitions and rally people up.

Castle will be awesome and I have no doubt about it... after all, "it's not the size that matters but what you do with it" :wink1:

Just kidding...

Sorry if I offended anyone... not my intention at all :peace

I don't think there will be enough cancellations for Mattel to stop production on Grayskull at this point. There will be some but I think a lot of people realize this is their only chance at Grayskull and if they decide to cancel and reorder later they are going to pay at least $50 more.

I am more concerned about the 2014 line though. I think it would be a good idea to reduce the sub to 12 monthly figures only and offer the Battle Ram, Stridor, and maybe a 2-pack outside of the sub during the year. It would also be smart to announce that either Clamp Champ, NA He-man, or Castaspella will not be available outside of the sub prior to SDCC.

I don't think there will be enough cancellations for Mattel to stop production on Grayskull at this point. There will be some but I think a lot of people realize this is their only chance at Grayskull and if they decide to cancel and reorder later they are going to pay at least $50 more.

I am more concerned about the 2014 line though. I think it would be a good idea to reduce the sub to 12 monthly figures only and offer the Battle Ram, Stridor, and maybe a 2-pack outside of the sub during the year. It would also be smart to announce that either Clamp Champ, NA He-man, or Castaspella will not be available outside of the sub prior to SDCC.

I agree...I would rather start seeing a 6 figure sub now vs 12 in 2014,though it sounds like a 2014 Sub is going to happen either way.

They also should start making certain figures exclusive to the Sub throughout the year (like you said).

My ideal 2014 lineup would look like this:

Twobad
Ninjor
Blade
Rio Blast (if he doesn't show up this year)
Rokkon
Stonedar

2 Quarterly- Battle Ram and Stridor :lol

this wouldn't happen at all,but I wouldn't mind

I expect the REAL lineup early '14 to be Two bad (bank on it),Glimmer,Scorpia,either Stonedar or Rio Blast and if they go oversized-Modulok

Not calling names on anybody... I just said that the bickering is pointless and pathetic, not the people... :dunno Because, you know there are certainly more important things to be upset about...
I mean, I LOVE MOTU!! After Star Wars it is my MOST beloved franchise since I was a kid.

Ah yes. That makes sense. It's like if I say to a runner "your running is pathetic" it's unreasonable for the runner to assume I'm insulting him. I'm insulting the running not him.

I don't think it's a stretch to consider insulting someone's actions more or less the same thing as insulting them directly.

Gotta question! Has anyone used the Early Access? If so, are you only able to log in during the early access day or can you log in any time to see what will be available? I've tried to log in and it doesn't allow me. Can anyone else with a subscription attempt a log in? Just curious before the Early Access comes up this month for Strobo!

It'll just give you a message reminding you about Early Access until it goes live. When you say it doesn't allow you to log in, does it kick you back into the sign-in screen? Or does it come up with some text about Early Access dates and times? The latter is correct? But you should still be able to get past the log-in screen.

Ah yes. That makes sense. It's like if I say to a runner "your running is pathetic" it's unreasonable for the runner to assume I'm insulting him. I'm insulting the running not him.

I don't think it's a stretch to consider insulting someone's actions more or less the same thing as insulting them directly.

Whatever dude... sorry if you felt offended...
I guess if the shoe fits... :horror j/k I was talking about the bickering @ .org and how it's spilling over here...
Again, sorry if you were offended, not my intention, just pointing out what I felt towards the bickering... :peace:wave:1-1::hi5:

Let's move on shall we?

Man if you're going to be a jerk just own up to it. Stop trying to pretend you're not by copious use of smilies and saying you're joking and/or immediately apologizing after insulting someone.

Dude, don't take things personally... I wasn't even referring to you in the first place... let it go... jeez...
Again, sorry if I offended anyone but that's how I feel about it... it's not new... I always see knee-jerk reactions anywhere for Hot Toys, Sideshow, Hasbro, Mattel, etc products, which to me personally is a bit amusing since we're talking toys.

With that said, I'm not saying that if you paid good money for something and are not completely satisfied with it, to complain about it with the company.

BUT, CG is not even the final prototype and people are beating a dead horse... Nobody has paid a penny for this, we haven't seen the final product. honestly I don't see Mattel doing much to improve this but I still have the chance of canceling it if I don't like what I see during SDCC.

I've seen plenty of crap from Mattel, but long ago I decided not to get worked-up about toys... and just enjoy them.
Is that a crime? :dunno

Back