Marvel's Wanda Vision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the 4th one and actually the 8th episode as well. Both were pretty much episodes that looked into the past and unveiled stuff form the character's histories. The finale was the expected action episode IMO. It works better if you watch the 8th and 9th together much in the same way episode 1 and 2 works better together.

Yes, episode 8 is right up there for me too and arguably the most significant given what it reveals about Wanda...as well as what it doesn't reveal about Pietro. We find out that Wanda had latent powers that the Mind Stone amplified, but it's not clear why Pietro survived the experiments and became QS. Perhaps "It Was Wanda All Along"?? - i.e., she somehow protected him during the tests and channeled the energy to provide him super speed?

Agreed on the finale - thinking of 8 as Part 1 and watching them together is the way to go.

Well, I'm baffled by the show. For me, I got nothing out of it. Olson and Bettany did good with what they had. Show looks good with all the money thrown at it... but in the end it was about as deep as a WB show. No important information was given -- still don't really know why she is. She just is. Nothing was really settled. The drama of the hostage situation was slapped aside with minor mention and an I'm sorry. I don't think time will be kind to this series.

Why was Monica wearing that Star Trek suit? And how come these superheroes outfits all look like they came out of the same factory, yet, for instance, Scarlet Witch's just materializes? I would like an 8-part series on that. At least I'd have an answer by the end.

In regards to the missing mutants... didn't miss them. What I missed was a truly involving story about... something. Not just a meandering tirade on grief counseling. And in the end, she didn't even beat that.

I do think we learn a great deal from this show:

- Wanda's past
- Wanda's power
- Vision's future
- We also get introduced to Monica Rambeau/Photon/Spectrum as well as SWORD.

I also thought there was a good progression at least for Wanda. While you are right she doesn't really beat her grief, she learned to accept it. And she also gained an important tool moving forward (the Darkhold).

Given the interconnectedness of the MCU, and given that this is now the first entry into Phase 4, I think all the D+ MCU series will be doing a lot world building. I don't think you'll be seeing any definitive conclusions to a lot of storylines until DS2 I think.

- Wanda's past - we knew it before the nursery tour
- Wanda's power - never explained
- Vision's future - he's going to come back, somehow... shocking?

We knew part of her past, but the series in my opinion was able to expand on it nicely. We did not know she had her power from birth (there was always a mystery as to why only her and Pietro survived the Mind Stone). Also, it sheds some light on how a Stark bomb failed (which doesn't happen than often).

Her power was also slightly explained here: she was born with it but she would have lost it eventually since it wasn't nurtured (probably the same for other witches). However, her exposure to the mind stone amplified this power to what she is now. The Darkhold would have more answers to this so while it wasn't completely explained here, maybe by DS2 we'll get something more definitive. This is Marvel anyway, they don't give answers straight away (it's always a few films down the road).

Vision is probably back but he's probably not the same Vision. It would seem like he has no attachments to his memories. So while he may remember what happened to the previous Vision, lacking the mind stone probably means he lacks the emotions of the previous Vision.

This is a series of missed potential.

Agatha all along was lame, nothing more than a meme. She is sort of presented as the main villain but she really isn't. She just turned up to see what was going on and then decided to act much later. The real villain was Wanda, transfixed by grief she had essentially enslaved an entire town and was subjecting them to horrific mental torture. I wanted that explored but Disney just teased the idea and gave us Agatha all along so that we could have our sky beam fighty fight. Man that was really hollow.

Wanda creating her own family to replace the ones she had lost so violently before, her parents, Pietro and then Vision (and I guess the avengers too) should have made the final battle (because this really should have been framed as the real battle, not Agatha all along) of her struggle to give it up so much more compelling and emotional. She is prepared to use all these people against their will (whether or not she did it subconsciously at the beginning, not really explored) just so she can enjoy her perfect life with NuVision and her boys.

There were sub-themes of addiction and the destructive effect it can have on those around you with the literal despair of the townsfolk, but this was barely touched on. On one level Wanda craved her family so much that she was numb to the suffering that it brought to others until she wasn't. Giving up her family should have felt like a much tougher struggle. As a father of two young children, it would be an impossible choice and I quite possibly would end up the super villain to save them.

I understand the stinger implies that Wanda has not given up at all. So perhaps she only ever felt like it was a temporary good bye until she could become more powerful to make the 'perfect spell' but it's not guaranteed that she will ever manage to do so. I just don't think the finale landed emotionally. My wife didn't even shed a tear and usually anything with kids, being a mum and loss is guaranteed to leave her in tatters.

Perhaps it was lost in all the background noise. Padme's sidekick making lame jokes, being obnoxious and very un-sciencey was so out of place. Rambeau lady was totally superfluous with no impact on the narrative (she was basically an extended BVS level introduction tacked on to get her ready for Captain Marvel 2 and OH BOY can't I wait for that one). The good guy agent man just felt so unbelievable in his role as a top agent (I can barely remember him from Antman was he this wisecracking and seemingly inept in that film), very CBS level / agents of shield - I expect better from an actual MCU streaming show.

The main villain older white guy needed a moustache to twirl. Why oh why would he try to shoot the kids if not to show us that he really was a bad guy. If you think about it he really was within his rights to take Wanda out. She was unhinged and a serious threat, trapping all those people against their will and altering reality. Who knew what else she would do especially after she grew the Hex. He should have been like general Ross and Hulk, where we don't necessarily like him or his objective but acknowledge that neutralising the threat is obvious and should be his number one responsibility (we didn't need white vision at all). That would have created real drama.

Sword have to take Wanda out because her actions are those are of a supervillain, she is a massive threat (I mean she beat the crap out of Thanos, who knows what she is capable of). Yet, we have lived with her character for 10 years or so and fully understand what she has been through (unfortunately most of us can relate to loss) and why she might have a psychotic break with reality (which due to her powers has literal altered reality). We can all identify with the desire for a family and those with kids will understand that you would do anything to protect them. That's a powerful premise and sadly it was wasted and dumbed down.

The Fietro reveal was so wasted. It was so interesting and had us all hyped only to be TLJ subverted for a **** joke. They should have left it an unresolved mystery so we were all still speculating until the next movie rather than answer it now like that groan. I fear the MCU is not for me post end game.

Well, I'm baffled by the show. For me, I got nothing out of it. Olson and Bettany did good with what they had. Show looks good with all the money thrown at it... but in the end it was about as deep as a WB show. No important information was given -- still don't really know why she is. She just is. Nothing was really settled. The drama of the hostage situation was slapped aside with minor mention and an I'm sorry. I don't think time will be kind to this series.

Why was Monica wearing that Star Trek suit? And how come these superheroes outfits all look like they came out of the same factory, yet, for instance, Scarlet Witch's just materializes? I would like an 8-part series on that. At least I'd have an answer by the end.

In regards to the missing mutants... didn't miss them. What I missed was a truly involving story about... something. Not just a meandering tirade on grief counseling. And in the end, she didn't even beat that.

I think a big part of the show's charm was the journey. Granted, the sitcom premise got tedious at times but as they started to peel away the layers to reveal what was going on IMO it became quite engaging. Allowing yourself to be spoiled before watching it probably subjected you to others' biases that you otherwise may not have had going in.

As I recall, the Star Trek suit was the jumpsuit that Monica was wearing underneath her high-tech space suit when she attempted to drive into the Hex in her SWORD Uber-Rover. Then she stripped off her spacesuit and went through the barrier like that. So an overly elaborate way to give a nod to her Photon/Spectrum superhero colors. As for Wanda's outfit, weren't you paying attention? She wields chaos magic, so she can create stuff as she sees appropriate. Like the hooded cape - there was probably rain in the forecast. :)

Regarding your other critiques, I'm in e30ernest's camp. Wanda came to terms with her grief & that what she did was wrong, otherwise everyone in Westview would still be under her control. And we now know that her being The Scarlet Witch is the stuff of prophecy and goes beyond what happened to her in Strucker's lab, and her studying The Darkhold is her trying to understand/control her powers.

Wor-Gar is now

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think a big part of the show's charm was the journey. Granted, the sitcom premise got tedious at times but as they started to peel away the layers to reveal what was going on IMO it became quite engaging. Allowing yourself to be spoiled before watching it probably subjected you to others' biases that you otherwise may not have had going in.

As I recall, the Star Trek suit was the jumpsuit that Monica was wearing underneath her high-tech space suit when she attempted to drive into the Hex in her SWORD Uber-Rover. Then she stripped off her spacesuit and went through the barrier like that. So an overly elaborate way to give a nod to her Photon/Spectrum superhero colors. As for Wanda's outfit, weren't you paying attention? She wields chaos magic, so she can create stuff as she sees appropriate. Like the hooded cape - there was probably rain in the forecast. :)

Regarding your other critiques, I'm in e30ernest's camp. Wanda came to terms with her grief & that what she did was wrong, otherwise everyone in Westview would still be under her control. And we now know that her being The Scarlet Witch is the stuff of prophecy and goes beyond what happened to her in Strucker's lab, and her studying The Darkhold is her trying to understand/control her powers.

Actually didn't like that bit. I mean, as stories go, make up your mind and don't undermine what came before. But the MCU doesn't seem to have a problem undermining itself.

E.g., Pietro and Wanda through the effort of sheer will/grief survive the Mind Stone. A lot of AOU revolves around the Twins' anger and their coming to terms with it, especially Wanda. But nope, no, no - scratch that; reminds me more of those YA teen witch movies with this prophecy stuff. Plus, in theory, all of the Infinity Stones are some kind of distilled chaos magic.

Series started losing me a bit over things like that at the end. Guess that's like comics that jog all over the place.

Actually didn't like that bit. I mean, as stories go, make up your mind and don't undermine what came before. But the MCU doesn't seem to have a problem undermining itself.

E.g., Pietro and Wanda through the effort of sheer will/grief survive the Mind Stone. A lot of AOU revolves around the Twins' anger and their coming to terms with it, especially Wanda. But nope, no, no - scratch that; reminds me more of those YA teen witch movies with this prophecy stuff. Plus, in theory, all of the Infinity Stones are some kind of distilled chaos magic.

Series started losing me a bit over things like that at the end. Guess that's like comics that jog all over the place.

I can see how you might think that, but I never believed they survived through sheer will driven by grief or anger. I doubt they were the only test subjects with pent up issues, so in my mind there had to be more to it. One supposition by Ultron wasn't definitive for me. Of course I assumed Marvel left it vague so they could come back to the mutant gene explanation if circumstances allowed. Now maybe they feel there's no need to revisit it for Wanda & QS?

I can see how you might think that, but I never believed they survived through sheer will driven by grief or anger. I doubt they were the only test subjects with pent up issues, so in my mind there had to be more to it. One supposition by Ultron wasn't definitive for me. Of course I assumed Marvel left it vague so they could come back to the mutant gene explanation if circumstances allowed. Now maybe they feel there's no need to revisit it for Wanda & QS?

And I can see why folks would think there had to be more too it, tho IMO in theory a lot of the MCI revolves around people with remarkable will surviving - Cap and Bucky, Nat, Bruce Banner etc. and the choices they make. Even Tony Stark.

I think that's why these characters are relatable; even inspirational. "Pre-destiny" and being a "chosen one" while a popular, even legitimate, idea for me, has to be handled carefully; otherwise it's perilously Mary Sue-ish.

Actually think Star Wars handled "predestiny" well; aside from the midichlorian BS; that a lot of it is pretty vague and mysterious; that the Force itself created a being that could balance the Force; that there isn't a linear path to fulfillment of the prophecy (e.g. Qui-Gon gets it wrong; but not completely).

I get what the series was trying to do; but for me I didn't need it over-explained. It was enough that Wanda was slowly becoming more comfortable with her powers - enough to go head to head with Thanos by the end.

Overall, tho, I think the series set a high bar. Not unbeatable; but handling Wanda and Vision in a narrative probably isn't as easy as Falcon and Bucky, Loki, and Hawkete, etc., so kudos to Marvel.

This is Marvel anyway, they don't give answers straight away (it's always a few films down the road).

That's the thing though -- Wanda has been with the MCU for a long time now and the series should have explained a lot more instead of dribbling a few more tidbits: she likes old sitcoms.

I don't understand why the Exposition Witch conjured up the book and gave it to Wanda.

I'm sorry, I like a lot of the MCU, and I particularly like the Scarlet Witch from my childhood, but I am disappointed in this series. MCU movies are better. Perhaps their sensibilities and comedic timing is served better in a 2-hour encapsulation rather than dragged out into 9 episodes where you can truly see how slim these stories are. Either that or Marvel has to stop holding back for the next show.

That's the thing though -- Wanda has been with the MCU for a long time now and the series should have explained a lot more instead of dribbling a few more tidbits: she likes old sitcoms.

I don't understand why the Exposition Witch conjured up the book and gave it to Wanda.

I'm sorry, I like a lot of the MCU, and I particularly like the Scarlet Witch from my childhood, but I am disappointed in this series. MCU movies are better. Perhaps their sensibilities and comedic timing is served better in a 2-hour encapsulation rather than dragged out into 9 episodes where you can truly see how slim these stories are. Either that or Marvel has to stop holding back for the next show.

Well, Wanda was never the focus of the narrative in her other appearances - she was always within the Avengers ensemble, so there was only so deep they could go (especially considering she wasn't one of the original "core" members).

I didn't think Agatha conjured The Darkhold, and she certainly didn't give it to Wanda. I gathered that Agatha obtained it at some point in her travels (perhaps way back in Salem) & it was a prized possession she wasn't leaving anywhere too far away. Wanda obviously took the opportunity to snatch it after defeating Agatha, but it was never Agatha's intent to hand it over to her.

I think COVID may have derailed plans to have the show's episodes drop all at once. I was thinking that might be contributing to your issues, but given you binged it I guess that's not the case. I guess there's just no pleasing you old guys! :rotfl

How freaking hilarious is it that this:

wandavision-finale-recap.jpeg

was a more epic and poignant moment than this:

v1.bjsxNzY3OTQ3O2o7MTg3NDA7MTIwMDsyMTQ1OzEyMDA

:lol

And was anyone else a little bummed that they didn't just go all out and do a full pan around Wanda's family in that moment with the Avengers score blaring, lol.

Here?s the question..if they ever come back in the films..would they cast these two kids again. after the show..I’m sure these boys stock has gone up and their parents and agents will probably want big coin for them to appear in any future projects :rotfl

Sometimes no. Seen a lot of stuff in my time so nothing here was very innovative to me. Perhaps to younger eyes this seems fresh. If only I could watch these through younger eyes.

But that is the penalty for growing older: experience.

Ultimately I enjoyed WandaVision, even though it failed to stick the landing. The premise was too thin or they were unable/unwilling to do it justice, I don't know which. Will I re-watch this? No chance. Was it a fun diversion? Definitely.

I maintain that the MCU somehow manages to be greater than the sum of its parts. Taken piecemeal, it's as sketchy as the kids' comics it's based on but overall, it remains one of hell of an achievement in the realm of pop culture. Easily better handled and executed overall than Star Wars ever was.

I think opportunities for greatness remain, albeit more attenuated as time goes by.

Back