Marvel to sell digital and print comics same day

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar_the_Gungan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just found this. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Marvel to sell most digital, print titles same day
By MATT MOORE, Associated Press – 21 hours ago
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Marvel Comics said Friday it will start selling nearly all its comics digitally the same day they are released in print, shoring up a growing platform for readers who want their superheroes — and super-villains — on the go.
Peter Phillips, senior vice president and general manager of Marvel's Digital Media Group, said the publisher of characters such as Spider-Man, The Avengers and the Incredible Hulk has been gravitating toward the policy starting last year with its Ultimate imprint and introducing more titles since then.
The move was first reported by the digital and tech products website Gizmodo.
By April 2012, nearly all Marvel titles will be available, save for its Max imprint and others, including Stephen King's "Dark Tower," among others.
"I think this is an augmentation," Phillips said. "It's an offering to the customer to allow them to enjoy the graphic fiction in a better way."
Phillips said the move integrating titles available digitally on the same day they come out in print — dubbed day-and-date by the industry — won't take away from physical retailers or fans of the 32-page comic books, nicknamed floppies. He said it won't marginalize buyers, either.
"My philosophy in general is that you can't force consumers down a path; you want to give them the best opportunity to consume content that they have," he said of the push to more digital offerings.
As for contentions that offering titles for download could "cannibalize print," he said that's not the case.
"I see it as an augmentation and a way to continue to grow the business," he said. "Our print business is holding very strong."
Marvel is not alone in embracing day-and-date. Other publishers — including Archie and DC Comics — have adopted it as a way to bring in new and lapsed readers already used to reading books on smartphones, tablets and computers.
Like them, Marvel is offering its comics through its own app for iPhones, iPads and Android devices as well as through Chrome. Its comics also will be offered through the comic book website comiXology, among others.
Marvel's senior vice president for sales and publishing, David Gabriel, said a slow, steady path toward complete day-and-date digital has helped abate fears from retailers and increased interest not only in digital titles but in print ones, too, "because we went slow and meticulously chose titles to do this with."
He said Marvel also is aiming to drive consumers of digital books to brick-and-mortar comic shops.
"We're looking at couponing programs that would actually drive the digital customer to the comic shops," he said.

Just found this. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Marvel to sell most digital, print titles same day
By MATT MOORE, Associated Press – 21 hours ago
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Marvel Comics said Friday it will start selling nearly all its comics digitally the same day they are released in print, shoring up a growing platform for readers who want their superheroes — and super-villains — on the go.
Peter Phillips, senior vice president and general manager of Marvel's Digital Media Group, said the publisher of characters such as Spider-Man, The Avengers and the Incredible Hulk has been gravitating toward the policy starting last year with its Ultimate imprint and introducing more titles since then.
The move was first reported by the digital and tech products website Gizmodo.
By April 2012, nearly all Marvel titles will be available, save for its Max imprint and others, including Stephen King's "Dark Tower," among others.
"I think this is an augmentation," Phillips said. "It's an offering to the customer to allow them to enjoy the graphic fiction in a better way."
Phillips said the move integrating titles available digitally on the same day they come out in print — dubbed day-and-date by the industry — won't take away from physical retailers or fans of the 32-page comic books, nicknamed floppies. He said it won't marginalize buyers, either.
"My philosophy in general is that you can't force consumers down a path; you want to give them the best opportunity to consume content that they have," he said of the push to more digital offerings.
As for contentions that offering titles for download could "cannibalize print," he said that's not the case.
"I see it as an augmentation and a way to continue to grow the business," he said. "Our print business is holding very strong."
Marvel is not alone in embracing day-and-date. Other publishers — including Archie and DC Comics — have adopted it as a way to bring in new and lapsed readers already used to reading books on smartphones, tablets and computers.
Like them, Marvel is offering its comics through its own app for iPhones, iPads and Android devices as well as through Chrome. Its comics also will be offered through the comic book website comiXology, among others.
Marvel's senior vice president for sales and publishing, David Gabriel, said a slow, steady path toward complete day-and-date digital has helped abate fears from retailers and increased interest not only in digital titles but in print ones, too, "because we went slow and meticulously chose titles to do this with."
He said Marvel also is aiming to drive consumers of digital books to brick-and-mortar comic shops.
"We're looking at couponing programs that would actually drive the digital customer to the comic shops," he said.

Interesting to see what these programs would be.

I haven't used the Marvel android app, but I think the ipad app is good enough that I rarely go for print tbh. Day one ditigal copies finally means you still get your comic fix even on hols. I think it's a step in the right direction. Its interesting that unlike glamour magazines like Marie Claire and Cosmo that see paltry digital sales, the sales of comics are actually strong enough for Marvel to start prioritizing (at least to some degree) its online/digital strategy

Marvel is following DC's suit, they already sell digital and print the same day with even some issues containing "Digital Combos" that have a code within the polybag for a Digital download.

It'll be interesting if Marvel can one up them by making it beneficial to go to a brick and mortar but last month DC has 7 titles in the Top 10 while Marvel only had 3, they are definitely feeling the New 52 a little harder than anyone thought they would. Should be interesting to see their strike back.

Being a huge comic fan I'd say this is great news as it'll let Marvel be more accessible, but it isn't for me. Does anyone else prefer to have and actually own a physical copy of what they shelled out money for? I mean, buying digital just seems so unsatisfying especially when they are similar/the same in price.

I actually prefer digital because I can carry multiple books, even download a past arc without much issue and read it on the go. That is something that you can't theoretically do without a whole lot of baggage with physical books. I do though for certain titles I like or certain "milestone" issues like to buy them in print.

They should offer a free download for every physical copy you buy, like they do with a lot of movie releases.

That would keep me in the comic shops for the forseeable future I think (not that I'm planning on quitting anytime soon anyway :lol )

One of my big questions I have about this is is what this means for the Marvel Digital Unlimited service. For $60 a year to have access to 10,000 comics, I think its a pretty good deal. I've caught up on so many storylines with it. Once an issue that was sold as digital and print on the same day reaches six months old does it transfer over to the Unlimited service for those subscribers? Will the new program complement the Unlimited subscriptions or replace it?

I really miss the DVD-ROM sets they use to put out. I had every one that was released until they pulled the plug. What's a bummer was the company that produced them had Thor and Daredevil sets ready to go before Marvel plugged the plug.

Love the idea and have been looking forward to it for a while. Don't get me wrong, I prefer physical copies but am simply running out of room.

Now I have another problem. I currently buy all my comics from DCBS which offers awesome discounts on every book. Now if I choose to go digital I'll save the space, but then I'll actually be paying MORE (full retail) for digital copies than I would for physical copies. Kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

Man, tough choice. I prefer the option to hand down the physical copies to my son someday, but for some, this great.

I prefer to buy the physical copies myself.

I have a routine of heading down to the LCS every week to pick up my books. It also allows me to pick up the new toys that week while I'm in store.

My LCS is run by two brothers and there cool to shoot the ____ with so I enjoy the personal interaction. Plus I'm a regular so I get perks and discounts when I shop there.

Plus I want to support Canadian businesses.

I might go digital in the future. My work might take me to another state and hunting down comics is a chore.

They will reboot the whole universe like DC Comics too....

They tried that although with a much safer route in the Ultimates universe and it failed, they rebooted that universe already. Marvel I don't think has the cajones to pull that right now, they are already going to #1s without the reboot itself.

They tried that although with a much safer route in the Ultimates universe and it failed, they rebooted that universe already. Marvel I don't think has the cajones to pull that right now, they are already going to #1s without the reboot itself.

Bought 2 of em Blanks variant UnCanny X-Men #1, so I can get a full sketch of Phoenix or Magneto or Apocalypse in the future.

Digital formats will never take off unless they give the customers more control over the item(s) they're buying.

I dont know much anout this but i'm reasonably sure that the comics you buy will only be viewable in the app itself, without the option of backing them up or using them on different devices you own.

If i want to put a song i paid for from iTunes on my PS3 to listen to with surround sound, i can't unless its a DRM free format (rare). Same with digital copies with my Blu-Rays, i can't transfer them cos they wont read cos of "copy protection" :mad:

Digital formats will never take off unless they give the customers more control over the item(s) they're buying.

I dont know much anout this but i'm reasonably sure that the comics you buy will only be viewable in the app itself, without the option of backing them up or using them on different devices you own.

If i want to put a song i paid for from iTunes on my PS3 to listen to with surround sound, i can't unless its a DRM free format (rare). Same with digital copies with my Blu-Rays, i can't transfer them cos they wont read cos of "copy protection" :mad:

Well I believe apple now let your re-download your purchased items for free, and as many times as you want. Digital is here to stay; it's the print format that will become less popular, although print has been here a while and isn't going away without a fight because of the powerful interests behind the format; even if it is less popular with newer generations. The distributive potential of digital for starters, combined with a practically infinite shelf life and zero need for shelf space (or even local storage space on a PC) because pretty much every major vendor -- amazon, apple, DC, marvel etc-- have gone cloud, mean that the value proposition for digital distro is already hard to beat. Considering how short it's been around and how quickly cloud, broadband, and similar technologies are improving, digital is certainly becoming more, rather than less, viable in many ways.

Anyway it's interesting that marvel distributed Avenging Spider-Man digitally on day one with the print version just like they said. The cool thing is if you get the print you get a digital copy for free. That's the first time any comic vendors done that apparently... It might be one of those incentives they mentioned.

And the ultimate line is all going to be with a digital copy, I think this is definetley a good call as I like having in hand copy but also like having easy access out and about on my iphone

If DC or Marvel wants the Digital formats to really take off they need to do two things, one up the price of the hard formats BUT also include a free DL of it digital to get those folks to start experiencing it. Then they need to cut the price of their digital copies (no way in hell they should be anywhere near the same cost) to make it worthwhile. It'd only be a matter of time before they widdle down the base to the format they desire.

That will never happen though, the Comic Industry would never kill brick and mortars as that is their real customer base, how many shops you hit and see merchandise rotting on the shelves? It's all a moot announcement.

Back