Marvel Studios/Sony - SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvel Studios/Sony: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN

We've gotten 3 movies of that, I'd say that's a good amount. Anyway in the comics, adult Peter leaves the bugle, I guess that's a route they could have taken but probably wouldn't have been as popular. I'm sure JJJ will be in the new Spidey film.

To be honest, there's a lot more the movies missed regarding his HS years than his adult years.

Re: Marvel Studios/Sony: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN

We've gotten 3 movies of that, I'd say that's a good amount. Anyway in the comics, adult Peter leaves the bugle, I guess that's a route they could have taken but probably wouldn't have been as popular. I'm sure JJJ will be in the new Spidey film.

To be honest, there's a lot more the movies missed regarding his HS years than his adult years.

Anything will be more popular than going back. Trust me.

Having him maybe comeback as SM in his 30's would be a route, but old hat is old hat. Point is new direction either way. They need to reinvent the wheel, not go back and try a do over.

I now want a 60 year old Spiderman who comes out of retirement to reclaim the city from a mutant villain, the Green Goblin, and in the end Capt America, who is fighting on behalf of the president of the united states. The film ends with Spidey faking his death. Sounds like a really cool original story that's never been done.

Well I for one would love to see teenage parker trying to keep his own against Vukture and Kraven.

A kid, not a college student or intern with resources. The original Ultimate Spider-man never saw Peter graduate high-school, even dieing as a teen, and during that time sales rivaled, sometimes selling more than the norm 616 who at that point was already working at Horizon.

Teenage Pete would have the same if not more interest than an adult one.

Bendis and Bagley's initial run from Ultimate Spider-Man perfectly made Pete a teen and deal with all the adult villains and the "teenage angst" without making you want to punch him in the head. I'm confident here.

Some more from Crave Online (more of the same) but for those who don't want to read the whole thing:

The upcoming Marvel Studios reboot of the Spider-Man movie franchise will arrive on July 28, 2017. But many fans of the wall-crawler have been wondering if a third retelling of Spidey’s origin story is really necessary, after the Sam Raimi version in 2002 and Marc Webb’s Amazing Spider-Man in 2012. Some have even been suggesting that the upcoming Spider-Man movie should eschew the superhero’s origin altogether… and they are going to get their wish.

“In Spider-Man’s very specific case, where there have been two retellings of that origin in the last whatever it’s been – [thirteen] years – for us we are going to take it for granted that people know that, and the specifics,“ Kevin Feige, the President of Marvel Studios, told CraveOnline in a one-on-one interview at today’s junket for Avengers: Age of Ultron.

“It will not be an origin story,“ Feige continued. “But, with great power comes great responsibility. It is inherent to who his character is. But we want to reveal it in different ways and spend much more time focusing on this young high school kid in the MCU dealing with his powers.”

“There is a young kid [already] running around New York City in a homemade version of the Spider-Man costume in the MCU, you just don’t know it yet,“ he said, laughing.

Interesting this tidbit too:
When asked about whether his compliments about “the look of Spider-Man” meant he favored any of the earlier iterations of the superhero’s costume, Kevin Feige responded, “Well, yeah, I mean look, I was more involved in the Raimi ones, and think they did a very good job. But that being said, we’ve already designed the costume, which is different than any of the ones that have come before. And yet ours is classic Spidey, as I think you’ll see.”

No thanks to everything Cixx said, in fact, I'd take Miles Morales over all that :lol

But SpiderMAN is an awkward teenage boy who has everyday problems, relationship issues, and trouble balancing his life with his alter-ego Spiderman :lol That's his whole gimmick :dunno I think they will skip his origin this time and show him as Spiderman since people already know the story.
Exactly, he's an eternal teenager/young adult, anything else is even more alien than Miles Morales, hell, he's still a teenager in the current show isn't he? :lol

I'm glad they're skipping the origin, and I'm also glad he's still a kid.

Bendis and Bagley's initial run from Ultimate Spider-Man perfectly made Pete a teen and deal with all the adult villains and the "teenage angst" without making you want to punch him in the head. I'm confident here.

:lecture:goodpost:

I don't know why they just didn't make Raimi Spider-Man canon, especially considering

1. Feige was involved with those, as he stated
2. you wouldn't have to worry about how Spider-Man manages to fit into the MCU. Why? Because he would have been the first modern hero preceding Iron Man.
3. He'd be active well before the Avengers, before the Chituari battle in NY
4. J. Jonah Jameson mentions Dr. Strange in Spider-Man 2
5. In 2002 Spider-Man was the first film to utilize the now iconic "Marvel Comics" film logo in the beginning of the film

They had a perfectly good origin for it and a classic costume design. I actually could see the Raimi Spider-Man swinging around New York around the time before Stark is captured in the desert.

Marvel Studios/Sony: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN

Wouldn't they have to bring Toby back then? Fans are already split on who the best Spider-Man was, which could cause an uproar. Also, Ock is dead, Goblin is dead, Harry is dead, Eddie Brock is dead, and their perfect origin story was ruined by making Flint Macro the real killer of Uncle Ben.

Then there's things that would have to be explained like, where has Spidey been this whole time? If he was the first known superhero, why hasn't Fury recruited him? Why didn't he help against the Chitauri and Ultron?

It seems much easier just to restart, and since the MCU is mostly based on the ultimate comics, it makes sense why they're going with a teenage Spidey. He fits better into their universe, and the comics and show have a perfectly good reason why he's not an Avenger yet, that I expect will be the same in the MCU.

Last edited:

Yeah, no Raimi Spiderman either, reboot is the best way to go.

I love Raimi Spidey movies though, hell I take Spiderman 3 over the ASM movies any day.

I love Spider-Man 1, Spider-Man 2 I have issues with but I like it, Spider-Man 3 was horrible, yet for some reason I can enjoy watching it even though I know it's terrible. The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't terrible, it was much better than Spider-Man 3 and Garfield was just as awesome as Toby. Amazing Spider-Man 2 I just can't ever watch again though.

I think Tobey was a better balanced Peter/Spidey than Garfield, yet Garfield was the better Spiderman.

It's too late to retake the Raimi trilogy and like you say, it's too ****ed up and advanced to even try, and I don't want the ASM canon either, so yeah, I'm glad it's a reboot.

Wouldn't they have to bring Toby back then? Fans are already split on who the best Spider-Man was, which could cause an uproar. Also, Ock is dead, Goblin is dead, Harry is dead, Eddie Brock is dead, and their perfect origin story was ruined by making Flint Macro the real killer of Uncle Ben.

Then there's things that would have to be explained like, where has Spidey been this whole time? If he was the first known superhero, why hasn't Fury recruited him? Why didn't he help against the Chitauri and Ultron?

It seems much easier just to restart, and since the MCU is mostly based on the ultimate comics, it makes sense why they're going with a teenage Spidey. He fits better into their universe, and the comics and show have a perfectly good reason why he's not an Avenger yet, that I expect will be the same in the MCU.

:exactly: :goodpost: Plus I'm pretty sure Marvel/Disney wants to put their "stamp" on this Spiderman and make it their own.

I just don't see how Marvel will be able to magically rid people's fatigue with another origin, another actor, etc. We'll have had 3 Peter Parkers in less than a decade. We'll have had two reboots in the span of less than two years. That's nuts to me.

What "stamp" can they possibly do when the last two versions were opposite ends of each other? You're really going to try the Green Goblin again? Go through the Uncle Ben situation again? Well, alright.

I'm actually surprised Marvel just didn't leave Sony by the way side. Obviously their current movie production plans of 2014/2015 didn't "need" Spider-Man.

I think by stating it isn't an origin story they magically got rid of people's fatigue :lol

And they only need to mention Uncle Ben once, they don't even need to go into it again.

Yeah, but that's the thing, if you're looking to cast for a 15-16 year old Peter Parker, how isn't it an origin story? Feige is mentioning how "great power/great responsibility" should come into focus and they want Spider-Man to debut as a sophomore. If that ain't the beginnings of Spider-Man, I don't know what is. If they're true to their word and it's not an origin, how long has he been Spider-Man? A month? Two months tops? Unless of course Peter got bit in elementary school or something when he was a tween, I dunno.

I think by stating it isn't an origin story they magically got rid of people's fatigue :lol

And they only need to mention Uncle Ben once, they don't even need to go into it again.

Oh, but you know they will have at least one flashback scene. I can already see a bunch of well known actors in their 60's getting ready to audition or expecting a phone call from Disney :lol

Yeah, but that's the thing, if you're looking to cast for a 15-16 year old Peter Parker, how isn't it an origin story? Feige is mentioning how "great power/great responsibility" should come into focus and they want Spider-Man to debut as a sophomore. If that ain't the beginnings of Spider-Man, I don't know what is. If they're true to their word and it's not an origin, how long has he been Spider-Man? A month? Two months tops? Unless of course Peter got bit in elementary school or something when he was a tween, I dunno.

As long as they don't show him getting bit and going into Uncle Ben's business again, I'm good to go, they can use a new villain and it will be something we'll never seen before.

Feige said something like "At this very moment, there's a kid swinging across NY in the MCU but you don't know it yet", which makes me think at the moment they make the movie, he'll already be familiar with being Spiderman and we can move on from origin story ground.

Oh, but you know they will have at least one flashback scene. I can already see a bunch of well known actors in their 60's getting ready to audition or expecting a phone call from Disney :lol
They don't need to, they just need to mention him once or twice, hell, Peter doesn't even have to mention him, it can be Aunt May.

If he appears on screen though, I hope it's Sean Bean.

Back