Marvel LSB vs LifeSize (from Sideshow)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman29

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting into the Legendary Scale Bust 1:2 from Sideshow. I only have one, the Iron Man Exc Red and Gold, and thought that was pretty impressive.

Other than that, all the other Marvel SS busts I have are 1:1.

For those of you who have, have had, both:

1. What is the quality like in the LSB series (paint app, materials)?

2. Are the sculpts in pose as good as some of the top 1:1?

3. Is the representation of the characters faithful to the time period of the character it is supposed to represent?

4. Finally, how do they display? i.e. Do they make a statement, are they noticed by people who visit your display, or do people just go by them without a second look?

Thanks!

LSB's are way better imo. Take a look at Venom and Carnage for example...Paint is awesome. If displayed in a nice cabinet (prefer the ones from Ikea, the ones divided in little squares), it's a super-awesome display!

while i've never had or seen a marvel 1:1 bust, i have seen a Star Wars version thanks to squider's darth maul and i have to say that bust was awesome, but in saying that (keep in mind i've never seen a marvel) i don't like the shape of the marvel bust. anotherwards how they seem to cut off most of the upper torso and shoulders etc. (other than IronMan) but we all know what happened to him with the paint issues.:gah:

as for the 1:2 scale versions quality i can think of only one piece that had any issues and that was the sabertooth bust which seemed quite a bit lighter than even the other hallow busts and some had paint flaking issues like the Iron Man 1:1. mine still seems to be fine though.

for displaying they are of course much easier to show and from others pictures seem to fit into Ikea's detlofs nicely, except for Galactus and Spiderwoman.:monkey2 though if you're a completist like me they will eventually start to take up some room as now with the latest announcements their numbers are 20+:hi5:

price wise of course they're quite reasonable and most can be had for subretail except for Doom and Galactus.

LSBs are top notch! IMO, they are better then the 1:1 busts in almost every way. Even the size is better for displayability. Not to mention more character choices. Honestly...I have seen a couple of the 1:1 busts in person...and aside from Venom...Im not that impressed.

The thing I hate about the 1:1 busts are the name plates and how they are inconsistent in size like Venom compared to Spidey.

It seems the 1:1 marvels have taken quite a nose dive in quality, venom and thing are sweet...I would go with the LSB line, the scale for the 1:1 is not really 1:1 IMO...skinney head ironman and tiny hulk come to mind...just looks off.

I'm a big 1:1 fan and own the Spidey Trio 1:1s. I absolutely love them. I wouldn't sell them for anything. Since I've started collecting those, I left the LSB line behind. With that said though, the LSBs I've owned have been very impressive in terms of quality and detail. Of them, Daredevil was by far my far favorite. The detail was incredible, down right to skin pores. To this day, I still consider getting another one back into my collection. I have not owned Galactus, but I can only imagine how amazing it is in person.

Bottom line: My devotion stays with the 1:1 line, but the LSB line is not shabby in the slightest and certainly delivers the variety that the 1:1 line has yet to show. It's getting there, but I doubt it will get to that level. The 1:1s makes up for that difference though in size and sheer presence. Its all a matter of which quality you look for the most. (I know I'm getting off topic, but I'm hoping that helps.)

Seems that SS will produce a much more robust line of LSBs (to be expected with the size and price), so if it can only be one; I would chose them.

Wow, some great advice!

Here is what I am reading and hearing:

LSB busts are top quality in detail and paint, with the exception of maybe one.

The price is reasonable, and "catching up" in the series is also reasonable for sold out pieces with the exception of Doom and Galactus (I already have Galactus Exc, so that is good).

So, what I am going to do:

1. I have bought two more pieces, the Spiderman Exc, and the SpiderWoman Exc. I had enough points with SS to just about pay off for one of these busts, so I think it is worth checking these out to join the Iron Man and Galactus I have.

2. I am still going to stick with certain 1:1 Marvel busts. The Thing, Venom, and Spidey (International Version) are pretty amazing.

Thanks for the great advice!

Back