Marvel Fakes on EBay Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but here's a logical assessment... you're being a gigantic ******.

Look up the definition of fake, then come back and try arguing that these aren't fakes.

"https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fake

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fake
"
https://www.yourdictionary.com/fake

I already said this:
"however in the broad concept of fake, like a duck decoy is a fake duck, yes they are fakes."

The first definition you listed:
fake 1 (fk)
adj.
Having a false or misleading appearance; fraudulent.
n.
1. One that is not authentic or genuine; a sham."

A recast isn't a FALSE appearance of anything unless it is represented as an original of something else.
A recast isn't authentic or genuine if it isn't represented as an original ONLY in the sense that it isn't authorized.

The third definition you listed:

fake Hear it!
Related Forms · Idioms · Synonyms · Synonyms · Synonyms · Usage Examples · Quotes
fake¹ Definition

fake (fāk)

transitive verb, intransitive verb faked, faking fak′·ing

1. to make (something) seem real, satisfactory, etc. by any sort of deception or tampering
2. to practice deception by pretending or simulating (something)"

To make something seem real. If a recast is represented as an original, it is made to SEEM like a real original. If it is NOT represented as an original, it is not trying to seem like anything, other than the statue it is, and the character it represents.
To practice deception- again, if it isn't represented as something else, it ISN'T a deception.

A recast could be considered a REPRODUCTION, much like automotive parts that are rare and thus sell for a lot of money as originals, and thus are remade to look or act like the originals did, but are not SOLD as originals, they are just sold as replacement parts, or parts to complete what you have. I've been familiar with NOS and reproduction car parts for decades. Everyone knows that NOS commands higher prices, and that repros never look exactly like the originals, but are very close. The repros always sell for less money. NOS=New Old Stock. I think the difference between original statues and recasts are essentially the same thing.

Last edited:
You sir, are a moron. Semantics aside, it's a fake.

I think that they are reproductions. I don't think a reproduction is a fake unless it's represented as an original, in which case it is blatant fraud. If you want to stay by the broad concept of fake, which, concisely speaking, is not a definition, because it's not DEFINITE, then I understand where you are coming from.I maintain however, that there is a HUGE difference between reproducing something and representing it as an original and reproducing something and representing it as a reproduction. If something is represented as a reproduction, then there is full disclosure and thus there is nothing being "faked". To me, to be a fake, there has to be intentional deception.

Lets say someone sculpts a Marvel character in a totally new statue and starts making and selling copies without Marvel's permission. They would be unauthorized statues, and because the maker made them without permission, it is an illegal infringement upon Marvel's copyright. These statues wouldn't look like SS statues, just like recasts don't look exactly like SS statues. I think that a recast of a SS statue, as long as it is represented as a recast, is essentially no worse than making a new statue of a copyrighted character without permission.
A statue of a character made without permission is a fake then too, because if it is a Marvel character, the implication is that it is a representation of that character, which implies that Marvel approved it, because they approve EVERY depiction of their characters so as to control not only the profits derived from selling goods with that character, but by controlling/determining the way in which that character is portrayed or depicted. If a statue is made without permission, it is NOT an authentic representation of the character, and thus must be a fake. In that sense, all unauthorized statues are fake, whether recasts or others which are made into copies.As far a I know, one offs are still considered original art, and thus are immune from copyright infringement.

Last edited:
To put it simply, if a statue is a recast of a statue by SS or bowen, and it isn't represented as an original, then it isn't a fake SS or Bowen statue, it is a fake MARVEL statue. Whether it is made up of parts cast from a SS or a bowen statue or it is the entire statue in the same pose, or it is a totally new statue, the fact of whether something is a recast isn't the real issue. The real issue is copyright infringement of Marvel's characters. It doesn't matter HOW the statue is made, whether its made from SS or Bowen molds, or even eggshells. The issue is unauthorized Marvel Statue. Now, if it is a recast of a SS statue, is that any different than if someone made a statue from SCRATCH to look exactly like a SS statue? I say no. If the statue says SS or Bowen if it wasn't made by SS or Bowen, then the issue is that there is misrepresentation of the SS or Bowen statues, and NOT how it was made. If a statue doesn't say SS, then it isn't a fake SS statue, regardless of how much it looks like a SS statue. However, it is DEFINITELY a fake Marvel statue.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :rotfl

I stopped taking Blackthornone seriously a long time ago. I am surprised he hasn't started talking about how recasting is the natural product of evil, greedy, capitalistic flippers.

Lets leave this thread to:
  1. questions about recast items
  2. ways to detect recasts
  3. auctions/dealers of recasts

i agree completely. i just skimmed that last few pages and realized that he's a ****** that is probably behind some of the recasts. sorry, but its SS property, they paid for the licensing fees, they paid for the R&D, and they are in their own right to call them fakes if that's what they deem.

i agree completely. i just skimmed that last few pages and realized that he's a ****** that is probably behind some of the recasts. sorry, but its SS property, they paid for the licensing fees, they paid for the R&D, and they are in their own right to call them fakes if that's what they deem.

I am not behind any recasts. It isn't SS property. It is Marvel property. SS is just licensed to produce items based upon Marvel property, probably only with approval from Marvel for each item SS makes. By the way, shouldn't THIS be considered a recast, too, considering it is made with SS molds? :https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47204

They're recasts of SS Marvel items or Bowen Marvel Items. They're fake or recast either way they're wrong and SS or Bowen should be notified to take care of it as they see fit.

the hulk spidey dio is a hard one to tell the difference with, since paint apps from one statue to another can differ. and shinny surface is a dead giveaway but without having the piece on hand it's hard to see how shinny it is, because of cameras, lighting and flashes will all leave difference degrees of shine.

well i have several hulk spideys and they are all very close in shine, paint apps (except the gray hulk of course is totally different) but the one thing that i really noticed to be different for one statue to the others, (and i have four to compare) was spidey's hand that usually has broken fingers.

well his fingers are what the dead giveaway was for me.:horror

on the original statues spidey's hand has actual recessed/indented lines that the black line are painted into, while the finger's black lines are painted onto the smooth painted red surface of the fingers.

where as the one i believe to be fake also has the black lines recessed on the main hand itself, BUT the fingers also have recessed lines on them that are painted black.

other than that the only other differences between the two would be that the original pieces all have a very dark mounting flange for the traffic lamps where the lights attach to the pole, and again back to the hand the originals all have very lady like fingers (thin and pointy), while the recast (again i believe it to be) has slightly thick fingers and more rounded finger tips.

hope this helps, also don't buy from the asian part of the world. and that will eliminate most, but not all the fakes. since some have obviously made their way of here. as i believe my first one is.:(
the packaging is next to perfect imo, excellant art box, grey styrofoam insert etc.

on the original statues spidey's hand has actual recessed/indented lines that the black line are painted into, while the finger's black lines are painted onto the smooth painted red surface of the fingers.

where as the one i believe to be fake also has the black lines recessed on the main hand itself, BUT the fingers also have recessed lines on them that are painted black.

U lost me Doug, well I just came back from the gym so I'm sort of tired but yet lost :confused::lol

U lost me Doug, well I just came back from the gym so I'm sort of tired but yet lost :confused::lol

yeah it's kinda a tongue twister. i'll try to take pics of each side by side.
not to sure how well the pics will pick up the ridges on the fingers of the fake version.

Well the reality is that people bought these things from all over, so you can't just look at the Asian countries. I'm not surprised that a Sacramento person was selling fakes in fact I'm more surprised more "domestic" fakes are surfacing around.

ok, i hope the pics more easily show the difference in the fake and original hands (so to speak)

first hand has ridged/recessed painted black lines on the fingers.
fingers are also noticably thicker and more rounded finger tips

f50sc8.jpg

while the second hand has more delicate and pointy fingers that don't have the ridged/recessed lines that of course would be painted black.

nd37s0.jpg

Back