Marlon Wayans, in my G.i. JOE?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is Billy Dee when you need him :)

Totally off topic but is something up with Billy Dee where he can't walk/stand? The last few times I've seen him on the big or little screen (LOST, FANBOYS, Jimmy Kimmel Show) his character (or him in the case of the Jimmy Kimmel Show this past week) has been seated.

I don't believe/feel Marlon Wayans is even deserving . . . much less worthy of being a GI JOE character.

Ving Rhames (when he was younger), Wesley Snipes, Terrence Howard could have made a good STALKER.

Vondie Curtis-Hall or Don Cheadle would be a good choice for DOC.

With the possible exception of Don Cheadle Marlon Wayans is a better actor than any of the guys you mentioned.

Sure, most of his movies are painfully dumb comedies but put him in something like "Requiem For a Dream" and he shows amazing talent. I'd say he's the most talented of the Wayans. Furthermore, entrust his comedic talents in the hands of someone like the Coens (their remake of "The Ladykillers" is a lot better than people give it credit for) and he can be hilarious.

But hey, if you wanna say someone with a performance as great as his in "Reqiuem" under his belt isn't worthy to play a small piece of plastic then good for you.

I don't believe/feel Marlon Wayans is even deserving . . . much less worthy of being a GI JOE character.

Ving Rhames (when he was younger), Wesley Snipes, Terrence Howard could have made a good STALKER.

Vondie Curtis-Hall or Don Cheadle would be a good choice for DOC.

You left out Michael Jai White for Stalker. I apologize for gayness of this shot.

MichaelJaiWhite.jpg

Morris Chesnut would work too.

morris-chestnut-1-sized.jpg

You left out Michael Jai White for Stalker. I apologize for gayness of this shot.

MichaelJaiWhite.jpg

Morris Chesnut would work too.

morris-chestnut-1-sized.jpg

Unfortunately, poor Michael's acting is worse than that of a Disney Park employee. I can't remember his name at the moment, but the guy who played David's lover :)yuck but he's a great actor) on Six Feet Under would be a good shot.

I just do not know why Marlon's black ass was cast in the movie. And this is coming from a black man. Who ever did the casting is just plain stupid. Just cast the character the way it was meant to be cast, you wont hurt our feelings. I don't care if he's black, just cast that ^^^^ right. :lol

I have about 6,000 problems with Marlon Wayans. Not one of them is is skin color. He just sucks PERIOD.

I just do not know why Marlon's black ass was cast in the movie. And this is coming from a black man. Who ever did the casting is just plain stupid. Just cast the character the way it was meant to be cast, you wont hurt our feelings. I don't care if he's black, just cast that ^^^^ right. :lol

I can see how it's actually borderline insulting. Which is more sad than funny.

I can see how it's actually borderline insulting. Which is more sad than funny.

Yeah it is kind of insulting. People have to remember not every black person is like Al Sharpton or Spike Lee who complains about everything and makes a ruckus over some bull^^^^. I cant stand those dudes. They make us black people look like a bunch of whiners. Trust me the majority of black people are not going to get all mad just because you didn't cast a black man in a certain part. :duh Especially if his ass don't deserve it.

I'd also be insulted that black actors almost always are the "comic relief" in these films. I mean, TRANSFORMERS was downright ridiculous about it.

Unfortunately, poor Michael's acting is worse than that of a Disney Park employee. I can't remember his name at the moment, but the guy who played David's lover :)yuck but he's a great actor) on Six Feet Under would be a good shot.

A true thespian, Michael is not. But as a guy who looks the part and given few spoken lines, he'd be okay. "Okay, Michael, for this scene we need you to stand there and look hardcore. And ACTION!"

You mean like how Todd McFarlane succumbed to the studio pressure and allowed Terry Fitzgerald to be played by D.B. Sweeny in order to make it look less like a Black superhero movie? :lol

McFarlane has explained that this was done by the studio to avoid having too many black leads and creating a perception the film was aimed at just a black target audience.

McFarlane should have told New Line to go screw themselves. Yeah, I hate it when visual continuity is compromised for bullhsit reasons.

Last edited:
I'd also be insulted that black actors almost always are the "comic relief" in these films. I mean, TRANSFORMERS was downright ridiculous about it.

Half of TF's mostly white cast was comic relief (Shia's parents, Shia himself for the most part, the cop down at the station "You eyeballing my piece 50 cent?", John Turturro, etc.). Just because the two funniest guys were black doesn't mean the film was insulting to them. Bernie Mac and Anthony Anderson were just playing themselves. It isn't their fault or Michael Bay's fault that they happen to be funny as hell. :)

TRANSFORMERS also showcases that black dudes apparently like yelling at their grandmas. Because that's funny, I guess.

He could work great as an Alpine in a pure GI Joe comedy with, say, Will Ferrel as his buddy Bazooka. But I don't like Wayans in any role in a serious GI Joe movie. I've seen Requiem for a Dream, and I still don't care.

lol, that would be kind of funny...

I think if you wanna re-imagine something, it should be for a good reason. There was not good reason to re-imagine Ripcord. There are already enough black dudes in Gi Joe to pull from that fans would appreciate (Yes, most of us bought and played with Stalker, Alpine, Doc, Roadblock & Heavy Duty..they were cool Joes!)

I think the Joes from around '82-'84 should be portayed as "older" in the movie. Duke, Snake-Eyes, Stalker, etc. should've been the seasoned Joes, then they could've pulled ideas for new Joes from the Joes that came later down the timeline like Low-Light, Mainframe, Jinx, Tunnel Rat, etc.

Duke looks like he just left a High School football game and Storm Shadow just left an emo rave.

You mean like how Todd McFarlane succumbed to the studio pressure and allowed Terry Fitzgerald to be played by D.B. Sweeny in order to make it look less like a Black superhero movie? :lol

McFarlane has explained that this was done by the studio to avoid having too many black leads and creating a perception the film was aimed at just a black target audience.

McFarlane showed have told New Line to go screw themselves. Yeah, I hate it when visual continuity is compromised for bullhsit reasons.

That actually REALLY pissed me off. I was a huge fan of Spawn and actually thought that this would be one of those few movies where having the leads true to their comicbook counterparts would've worked wonders and it would've upper-cut the critics. Sadly all DB's bad acting did was make Michael's look even worse. :mad:

I think the same will be true for G.I. Joe, given the fact that Marlon will likely add his unfunny comedic spin to the already groaner lines.

I recollect reading online that McFarlane wants to "reboot"/"retcon"/"re-imagine" SPAWN (i.e. the same manner as how there are three PUNISHER films with each one being a reboot, retcon, re-imagining).

If GI JOE fails . . . looking very likely . . . maybe it'll be retconned as if the first one never happened and/or ignored . . . provided if any chance/opportunity exists for a next one.

Personally speaking, I'd be happy with a live action TV series using the storylines from the original Marvel Comics run with additions from the cartoon series, but I digress.

Back