Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

Irish, I love the new suit and believe it works very well also. In response to Lerath666, It doesn't "need something" to break up the blue, and a belt that holds up nothing is a fail. You said Nolan gave the Batman costume a gold belt to break up the all black suit, not true, the belt is an integral part of Batmans costume/arsenal. Superman's belt was just... shiny.

This time the filmmakers actually decided to come up with a reason for the suit and I love it, it makes sense. It really feels fresh, for today, honestly the red underwear look is just silly.

I'm not a parent. Gotta get that one out of the way real quick. . :lol

But it's not that I can't relate. It's just the characters just didn't engage me. Which is why i'm more interested in the directors cut then anything else.

If he's going to add 30 minutes of good stuff, that is.

Has Snyder or anyone said there will be a director's cut? Cause if so, That is awesome! I love the film and 30 additional minutes in this world would be fun.

Spill.com did their Spoilers podcast where they discussed the film in detail with fans asking questions.

Funniest question is someone saying he had many problems with the film, one being he didn't understand how Superman could fly. :lol...what the hell.

The suit design works fine in the movie.

What does that even mean? It's purely subjective. Those scenes have plenty of heart and emotion for many of us. Results and opinions will vary.

You're starting to sound like an AICN Talkbacker, dude. :lol This whole thread started to make that turn a few pages back. DBOK is the relentlessly negative troll and you're playing the part of pretentious film enthusiast (though one that comes with baggage of liking Michael Bay movies ;) ).

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

This movie had more H&S for me than IM3's failed attempt at PTSD and forced friendship with Happy and Generic Kid.

Last edited:

Iron Man 3 wasn't about heart and soul. That wasn't the core of the film.

wut

awf cawrse it was

Stark had just as much angst as Kal-el, for different reasons, but just as much.

To bring a character back from angst requires heart and soul from a movie.

It's a journey thru all the emotions.

I'm calling your Film School professor and telling them you loved Wolverine Origins.

Spill.com did their Spoilers podcast where they discussed the film in detail with fans asking questions.

Funniest question is someone saying he had many problems with the film, one being he didn't understand how Superman could fly. :lol...what the hell.

My dear boy, do you ask a fish how it swims? or a Wonka how it makes chocolate? Of course not. They do it because they were born to do it... just like Superman was born to fly

Nolan's Batman did kill Ras. By not saving him, he murdered him. No real way around that one. And all the cop cars he pancaked or caused to crash had people in them. I find it hard to believe he didn't kill anyone. I love TDK trilogy, but it isn't the flawless example of respecting the character people treat it as. Nolan took liberties to fit the story he wanted to tell. Much like all comic writers do.

Kal killing Zod isn't that bad. He has done it in the comics. Even if it was Zod, Ursa, and Non from another universe, he killed them. Zod with his bare hands. So Big Blue has killed before. It's not unprecedented. Hell, Grant Morrison had Batman mentally torment Joe Chill, then hand him a gun in order to kill himself(I hate the story because i hate the character of Joe Chill). But technically Batman killed Chill in that story. Even DC plays fast and loose with the rules when it suits them.

Batman is mortal and can only do so much. Are you going to say that not helping someone is the same as murder? It's not. But I agree, obviously the collateral damage was killing folks but its generally more excepted when its the authorities or soldiers. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Nolan's Batman stopped being Batman the second he tried to murder his parents killer with a gun. From that point on, I didn't view him as anything but an alternate version of the character.

Superman only killed the Phantom Zone criminals when they had already slaughtered billions of lives and were about to do the same in his universe and Superman stood no physical chance against them. Even when that was done, people hated it. So you're telling me, they thought it was a good idea to do something that was already universally panned within the comic world?

Irish, I love the new suit and believe it works very well also. In response to Lerath666, It doesn't "need something" to break up the blue, and a belt that holds up nothing is a fail. You said Nolan gave the Batman costume a gold belt to break up the all black suit, not true, the belt is an integral part of Batmans costume/arsenal. Superman's belt was just... shiny.

This time the filmmakers actually decided to come up with a reason for the suit and I love it, it makes sense. It really feels fresh, for today, honestly the red underwear look is just silly.

...Yes and no.

Yes, Batman's belt is an integral part of the character.

But from a logial standpoint, when he Spryapinted everything of the suit a matte black....

why did he leave the reflective, shiny, gold belt gold?

There isn't one. They ( the costume designers) left the belt gold for two reasons.

1) people expect to see him wearing the belt as it's an established part of his character and costume ( even though he barey uses it on film, but that's another discussion in and of itself)

2) It serves to break up the costume from a design standpoint, showing a clear separation in the costume from top to bottom.

YES, I get where you're coming from in a logical standpoint, in that Giving him a belt that serves no purpose seems silly. And for a small percentage of people, there is no issue with him having nothing to break up the monotony of the unicolored suit.

This is either becuase

a) your eyes are more sensative to the color shifts, and you are capable of descerning the sublte shifts in the light, faded colors.

b) You Don't have an eye for design, and as you have not seen an alternative, are pefectly fine with the design as it is presented.

It's worth noting that there is nothing wrong with either one of these, but from a design standpoint, ESPECIALY when dealing with a super-hero, B old, Bright colors that cause them to stand out are ideal.
Unifying, SOLID colors are a general no-no, unless special care is taken to Break them up in some way.

As I said before, I ADMIT I'm nit-picking. this is a MINOR issue at best. and it's not in any way a deal breaker for me ( except that it keeps me from wanting to buy the hot toys figure, or any of the merchandise relating to this guy, but that's a different topic, sorta).
Loved the film, I get what Zack was trying to do, and I can't wait to see more of what he has planned.

Even if i percieve the costume as kinda wonky

( and no, this isn't a stealth plea to bring back the red trunks, I'm cool with those getting ditched :lol)

Batman is mortal and can only do so much. Are you going to say that not helping someone is the same as murder? It's not. But I agree, obviously the collateral damage was killing folks but its generally more excepted when its the authorities or soldiers. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Nolan's Batman stopped being Batman the second he tried to murder his parents killer with a gun. From that point on, I didn't view him as anything but an alternate version of the character.

Superman only killed the Phantom Zone criminals when they had already slaughtered billions of lives and were about to do the same in his universe and Superman stood no physical chance against them. Even when that was done, people hated it. So you're telling me, they thought it was a good idea to do something that was already universally panned within the comic world?

Batman flat out says: "I'm not killing you, but i don't have to save you." Leaving someone in a situation where you know it will lead to their deaths, is still considered murder. Legally he would be charged with Manslaughter at least. More likely second degree murder.

Superman has killed more than just those three in comics. And he killed Zod in Superman 2. Remember Zod is powerless when he gets tossed into the artic abyss. Kal has always been willing to go there if he saw no other way to resolve the situation. It's one of the things that make him and Bruce so different. Hell in the Bruce Timm version of Justice League, he was going to kill Darksied had Batman not interferred and teleported him away. And he was pissed at Batman for stopping him! He doesn't kill willy nilly, but it is in character for him to do so, if there is no other alternative, and Zod left him none in MoS.

Batman flat out says: "I'm not killing you, but i don't have to save you." Leaving someone in a situation where you know it will lead to their deaths, is still considered murder. Legally he would be charged with Manslaughter at least. More likely second degree murder.

Superman has killed more than just those three in comics. And he killed Zod in Superman 2. Remember Zod is powerless when he gets tossed into the artic abyss. Kal has always been willing to go there if he saw no other way to resolve the situation. It's one of the things that make him and Bruce so different. Hell in the Bruce Timm version of Justice League, he was going to kill Darksied had Batman not interferred and teleported him away. And he was pissed at Batman for stopping him! He doesn't kill willy nilly, but it is in character for him to do so, if there is no other alternative, and Zod left him none in MoS.

You find me somewhere in a court of law that would convict a person for murder by leaving them in a "probable" fatal situation. It's impossible to convict someone on a murder charge for something like that cause it isn't "murder", so it's a moot point.

Murder is defined as the premeditated killing of one human being by another. That's not what Batman did, but that's neither here nor there.

He didn't kill Zod and company in Superman II, it was just cut out that they were taken to jail. Plus, doesn't that make Lois a "murderer" too, cause didn't she kick or push Ursa off a ledge as well? :rotfl

On to the Justic League episode you're talking about. Whether Superman is physically capable of actually "killing" Darksied remains to be seen. But yes, he wanted to "finish it". But he didn't, cause Bruce knew he would regret it. No one is saying Superman isn't capable of killing, but he and everyone else around him knows, for the good of the world, he can't. Which was explored, just recently in the Injustice comic.

...Yes and no.

Yes, Batman's belt is an integral part of the character.

But from a logial standpoint, when he Spryapinted everything of the suit a matte black....

why did he leave the reflective, shiny, gold belt gold?

There isn't one. They ( the costume designers) left the belt gold for two reasons.

1) people expect to see him wearing the belt as it's an established part of his character and costume ( even though he barey uses it on film, but that's another discussion in and of itself)

2) It serves to break up the costume from a design standpoint, showing a clear separation in the costume from top to bottom.

YES, I get where you're coming from in a logical standpoint, in that Giving him a belt that serves no purpose seems silly. And for a small percentage of people, there is no issue with him having nothing to break up the monotony of the unicolored suit.

This is either becuase

a) your eyes are more sensative to the color shifts, and you are capable of descerning the sublte shifts in the light, faded colors.

b) You Don't have an eye for design, and as you have not seen an alternative, are pefectly fine with the design as it is presented.

It's worth noting that there is nothing wrong with either one of these, but from a design standpoint, ESPECIALY when dealing with a super-hero, B old, Bright colors that cause them to stand out are ideal.
Unifying, SOLID colors are a general no-no, unless special care is taken to Break them up in some way.

As I said before, I ADMIT I'm nit-picking. this is a MINOR issue at best. and it's not in any way a deal breaker for me ( except that it keeps me from wanting to buy the hot toys figure, or any of the merchandise relating to this guy, but that's a different topic, sorta).
Loved the film, I get what Zack was trying to do, and I can't wait to see more of what he has planned.

Even if i percieve the costume as kinda wonky

( and no, this isn't a stealth plea to bring back the red trunks, I'm cool with those getting ditched :lol)

Actually, having the red panties would've been a distraction for me. :monkey3

I think the suit is a HUGE success. It does not look like pajamas to me. The old-fashioned strong-man undies would have been a mistake. Reeves totally pulled it off, but I don't really think any of the other Supermen have since him.

The current suit looks like something you might see on someone engaging in a sport that requires a body suit. It's definitely much more "now" design-wise. The best part of it is that they broke up all the blue with the tone-on-tone design work and the pop of gold on the "belt" area. I think it's much more successful than the New 52 suit, for sure.

Back