Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Haven't we all been totally unanimously clear on this? NO Lex Luthor!! :lol Well a small role is fine I guess but not as the central villain anymore.

family of the creators of superman are still going to take there character to the highest bidder...warner brothers are going to lose the rights...it's a joke.. zod again.. we can't get a fresh idea...

family of the creators of superman are still going to take there character to the highest bidder...warner brothers are going to lose the rights...it's a joke.. zod again.. we can't get a fresh idea...

Can you imagine Disney/Marvel ponying up the dough for Superman?:horror
I bet they just might.
Now that would be some reboot!

Can you imagine Disney/Marvel ponying up the dough for Superman?

The families won't take it there unless it's out of pure spite. The families want money, most analysts on the situation have said that Marvel isn't the best spot for Superman mainly because he'd be part of a lot of A listers instead of one of the only A listers at DC. Let's be honest, DC as far as the film world is concerned has Batman in terms of financial success. Marvel has X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Blade and soon Captain America and the rest of The Avengers. In the books there is the Trinity at DC (Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman) with the rest of the Big 7 (Aquaman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Martian Manhunter) rounding out the B Tier. At Marvel you've got more than enough A and B listers running about.

Superman would be lost in the mix. The leading thought is that Superman would be sold to small publishing company that would pull all of their resources towards him alone and that they'd outsource to a company like 20th Century Fox or even Sony/Columbia to handle the film license aspect.

Moot point. DC/WB will settle with the families because more to lose than there is to gain by moving houses.

Let's be honest, DC as far as the film world is concerned has Batman in terms of financial success. Marvel has X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Blade and soon Captain America and the rest of The Avengers.

How interesting it is that times have changed so much over the last 10-20 years with regard to the two companies. In the early 90's DC was king with Donner's Superman and Burton's Batman films on the big screen. Marvel was a joke with little more than a failed Lundgren Punisher and straight to video crapfests in the form of Captain America and a bootleg Corman Fantastic Four.

Batman has stood strong but the rest of DC is a joke compared to the cinematic success of Marvel.

Batman stood strong because when they rebooted, they went a completely different angle than what failed before. They tried to revive a past franchise with Superman which was a colossal mistake and Green Lantern had waaaay too many cooks in the kitchen. Interestingly Thor had 5 writers all working off a J. Michael Straczynski storyline (the current writer of the books). Green Lantern had 4 total writers, none connected with the comics and those who wrote the story, also wrote the screenplay whereas Thor had new eyes on it, and none of which have an comic background at all.

DC is making the same mistakes Marvel made a decade ago with some films and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Yeah rebooting Superman with new (and much younger) actors and setting it in 2006 as a direct sequel to a dated 1980 film was one of the oddest moves I've seen a studio make for a big budget franchise.

Just got off a pre-production conference call.

Obviously can't say much of anything, but I suppose it's safe to share these small tibits:

- Filming will begin the first week of August, with possibility of a few small shots taking place before then.

- Because of the timing, they won't be at Comic-Con. No word on whether Warner Brothers plans to do anything at all there (like a teaser poster or something) but I suppose that's possible.

- This will be Zack's first film since DAWN OF THE DEAD that will feature on location shooting (300, WATCHMEN, and SUCKER PUNCH were all entirely filmed at studios in Vancouver).

- Shoot locations will include Chicago and other Illinois areas, Southern California and at least 1 other locale. Studio shooting will be done up in Vancouver again.

- Cavill, Zack and other key players are signed for 3 films. So unless the film completely tanks the plan is for this to be a trilogy with Zack directing and Nolan producing all 3.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting tired of seeing Chicago being used in movies. It has too much of a distinct look to think it is something else. For instance in TDK, did not believe it was Gotham for a milisecond.

Agreed to some extent about Chicago, but who looked at the New York skyline in Superman the Movie and thought "Metropolis"?

The Dark Knight had some fantastic car chase sequences. Ever since "The French Connection" and later "The Blues Brothers" film-makers have used Lower Wacker Drive as their way of saying "Top that!"

Gotham is Gotham. You need to suspend your belief for these films, if you sit there and say "Pssh, that is Chicago. Pssh now that is Vancouver. Pssh, that is so fake." You'll never enjoy yourself. TDK was so engaging I never thought about the background once, so I don't really care where Nolan films it as long as I'm engaged.

A city is a city.

Sure the 89 Batman city was unique, but all the action took place on that same city street over and over and over and over.

A city is a city.

Sure the 89 Batman city was unique, but all the action took place on that same city street over and over and over and over.

Yeah, and BATMAN RETURNS was even worse. That Gotham seems like it could fit in my basement.

So no more Meloni news other than he is saying he is a "general"?

Thanks for the tid-bits Carl.

Chicago makes sense as a mid-West metropolis. It's the closest big city to Kansas.

Meloni as Sam Lane makes sense, but I hope we see Luthor in some form in this film (although not as the big bad).

Back