Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Hope they don't subsitute quality for action like X-Men 3 did...that was just an abomination...

X-3 wasn't nearly as good as the first two but it was no where near an abomination. Still a very enjoyable movie. But there were certainly things I would've done differently.

Spider-Man 3 falls into that category much easier than X3.....

Smallville is a much more complex and complete characterization of Clark than we've seen before. Sure there are true dog episodes, but the mythology ones are always the best.

The Superman story is fiction, so different authors can reimagine it anyway they see fit. There are so many reinterpretations in Smallville that I like much more than the "canon".

All of these things are smarter and more interesting on Smallville than in the movie or comics:
-Clark and Lex as friends first
-Red kryptonite
-Phantom Zone
-Bizzaro
-Zod possesses Lex
-Zor-el as a rival for Lara and hater of Jor-El
-the Kents were chosen by Jor-El

I could probably make a list of things I don't like, such as every Kryptonian and their brother (literally) have been to Earth. But the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Me and Darth Caedus are probably the few people that loved Returns. I love everything about that movie. It was so much more of just an "x-men" movie...:monkey4. The cinematography of the airplane scene blew me away like nothing else. Watching that ++++ in Imax is AMAZING. not to mention the awesome score and underlying feel of the movie.

We need The Man of Steel ASAP!

I loved it and I loved Routh as Supes. I hope they do another one and the sooner the better.

The only thing I didn't like about Returns was that I found Lois to be a bit unlikable, but other than that, it rocked hard. Who needs non-stop action in a film with so much emotion?

Routh was perfect. I hope he reprises the role.

Smallville is a much more complex and complete characterization of Clark than we've seen before.

The thing I hate about Smallville Clark is that he's so directionless. He's well past the point that he should've realized his destiny and gotten the hell off of that farm. I know they have to keep him there to keep dragging the show along, but in doing so, they make him look clueless about what to do with his life. There's people suffering all over the world that he could be helping, staying in Smallville and hanging out at the farm makes it seem like he doesn't give a damn unless it affects him directly. It's hard for me to imagine him becoming Superman at this point.

They should go get Kevin Smith's script... Brainiac with Luther... Doomsday... Eliminate the stupid R2 like robot (Brainiac's sidekick there only for comedic effect) and they'd have both a good action/superhero movie and one that had some good dialogue...

Just a thought...

They should go get Kevin Smith's script... Brainiac with Luther... Doomsday... Eliminate the stupid R2 like robot (Brainiac's sidekick there only for comedic effect) and they'd have both a good action/superhero movie and one that had some good dialogue...

Just a thought...

Sounds good, as long as we get Brainiac wrasslin' polar bears and a giant spider.

All of these things are smarter and more interesting on Smallville than in the movie or comics:
-Clark and Lex as friends first
-Red kryptonite
-Phantom Zone
-Bizzaro
-Zod possesses Lex
-Zor-el as a rival for Lara and hater of Jor-El
-the Kents were chosen by Jor-El

I could probably make a list of things I don't like, such as every Kryptonian and their brother (literally) have been to Earth. But the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Here are the things that negates all of that for me.

1. Lois Knew Clark before Metropolis
  2. Clark has been walking around Smallville sans Glasses

Attaching Lois to Smallville is the second worst ++++ing idea I've ever seen occur, it totally destroys the chemistry and play that they gain once he hits Metropolis, making that occur in Smallville does NOT make it better.

Second? Where the ++++ are his ++++ing glasses?!?!? So I'm supposed to believe that eventually when he is walking around Metropolis in Superman garb everyone will suddenly forget what he looked like? What about yearbooks, press clippings or more importantly Lex and Lois?!?!?!? What the ++++! They couldn't slap a pair on Welling from the beginning and just make it work? Jesus ++++ing Christ! Dumbest ++++ing ++++ I've ever seen and completely makes Smallville instantly removed from canon because then the writers of Smallville would have to eliminate all the Superman history and change how Superman gets around to avoid the ID or what? Some magical spell that makes everyone forget? No, that's the dumb ++++ they pull with Spidey.

++++!!!

Attaching Lois to Smallville is the second worst ++++ing idea I've ever seen occur, it totally destroys the chemistry and play that they gain once he hits Metropolis, making that occur in Smallville does NOT make it better.

Second? Where the ++++ are his ++++ing glasses?!?!? So I'm supposed to believe that eventually when he is walking around Metropolis in Superman garb everyone will suddenly forget what he looked like? What about yearbooks, press clippings or more importantly Lex and Lois?!?!?!? What the ++++! They couldn't slap a pair on Welling from the beginning and just make it work? Jesus ++++ing Christ! Dumbest ++++ing ++++ I've ever seen and completely makes Smallville instantly removed from canon because then the writers of Smallville would have to eliminate all the Superman history and change how Superman gets around to avoid the ID or what? Some magical spell that makes everyone forget? No, that's the dumb ++++ they pull with Spidey.

++++!!!

I have to say that emphatically disagree with both those reasons.

They may eventually have to come up with some explanation about how and why people don't recognize him later. It shouldn't be difficult to do - whether it's super hypnosis or something smarter - that's the magic of a fantasy character - you can just make it up! But there's absolutely no reason for him to be wearing glasses as Clark - he's not hiding his identity and he certainly doesn't need them to improve his eyesight.

I think the character of Lois has been the best thing to happen to that show. Not just because Durance is so much fun to watch, but her and Clark's relationship as antagonistic brother and sister types makes the life-partners that they later become more believable for me. A relationship that has a firm basis in other things besides romance has a greater chance of surviving. It's also fun to see Lois fall for every super hero and villain that passes through Smallville.

++++!!!

lol mike, i feel your passion bro. but i never assume that smallville and the movies go hand in hand. I take one for what it is and the other for what it is. I enjoy smalliville just because it gives us an ongoing story of superman's early years, not because it's cannon.

They may eventually have to come up with some explanation about how and why people don't recognize him later. It shouldn't be difficult to do - whether it's super hypnosis or something smarter - that's the magic of a fantasy character - you can just make it up! But there's absolutely no reason for him to be wearing glasses as Clark - he's not hiding his identity and he certainly doesn't need them to improve his eyesight.

Here's the funny thing Dave, the writers of the show said "No flights, No tights" because it would ruin the reality and make it too campy. Saying that he is a fantasy character so they can introduce Zatanna and have her snap her fingers wiping out memories is completely retarded. It ruins the original idea of the show and makes a lot of what is been considered acceptable because it was rooted in realism as much as possible a wasted amount of investment. The only reason for him to be wearing glasses???? Easy, the Kents knew they need to protect their son, the deep blue of his eyes was in the original tales a giveaway because they didn't look human, they put thick rimmed glasses on him with thick glass not to improve his vision but stop the light from showing off the deep blue in his eyes...it was part of the reasoning to disguise who he was, this is also why he would slouch and comb is hair a certain way to allow him to assimilate as much as possible. You have to remember that its not a Clark and Superman duality but Kal-El at all times playing Clark in a desperate need to fit in amongst the people of Earth. From the get go Smallville ruined pieces of this but even more so when the Kents only half ass stop him from exposing himself and with Clark being so out and about amongst Smallvillites. Clark was typical shown as timid being afraid of being caught, exposed and taken and while the Welling portrayal didn't flush that way it really wasn't thought out well enough IMHO with making a connection with existing Superman mythos it seems like they were content in just rewriting it. The hypnosis idea was what was occurring in the 1970s being emitted from his actual glasses, was dumb then is no less dumb now.

I think the character of Lois has been the best thing to happen to that show. Not just because Durance is so much fun to watch, but her and Clark's relationship as antagonistic brother and sister types makes the life-partners that they later become more believable for me. A relationship that has a firm basis in other things besides romance has a greater chance of surviving. It's also fun to see Lois fall for every super hero and villain that passes through Smallville.

It destroys the Love Triangle plain and simple. Lois has no respect for Clark because of his act and this is a tough situation for Clark because he has to keep up the fasade. Lois and Clark shouldn't have a brother/sister relationship IMHO, she gains respect for him over time because Clark never down plays his Journalist roles but he gets to really experience his love as himself.....its a benefit to the fact that Lois loves him not his secret identity.

You dont like Smallville because of the glasses, thats crazy, and I do see Smallville different from the movies, you gotta take smallville for what it is, not a 250 million dollar budget movie. The movie which lets Lex out of jail becuase Superman wasn't around to be a witness, the stupid child, Lois again, the stupid kid, etc., what was good about it, the effects, they better be for that price. The Story sucked, and it dont have to be action or violence, just a good story. I'll get back to this, I'm on the run right now.

Back