Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Loved Watchmen and 300. Of course, both of those movies had an already written script. Snyder's talent lies in the visual, the music direction etc... not necessarily the writing. So for that I am happy that Nolan is involved.

Eh I think Snyders record is mixed at best - the only thing that gives me confidence in this film is the writers and the cast

Snyders experience with VFX and comic books in general is a plus that's about it

I hated Watchmen. A film about a bunch of boring c-list superheroes just doesn't appeal to me. I dont care at all if it's "faithful" to the comics, that doesn't mean the movie was good. And im sure there are very few people that care about nightowl the 4th. :lol

Loved Watchmen and 300. Of course, both of those movies had an already written script. Snyder's talent lies in the visual, the music direction etc... not necessarily the writing. So for that I am happy that Goyer is involved.

Since he's the Director and not the writer i think it's safe to assume he's in his zone.

GOYER as the writer is a good thing, the first two Blade movies written by him were AWESOME

Since he's the Director and not the writer i think it's safe to assume he's in his zone.

GOYER as the writer is a good thing, the first two Blade movies written by him were AWESOME

It's NOLAN and GOYER. And Goyer also wrote GR:Spirit of Vengeance. :lol

Did Goyer write the dialogue for the Nolan Batman films? Because I hate every piece of dialogue on those films, except bits by Joker and Bane.

My single biggest gripe in the film version of Watchmen was how Rorshach dispatched the murderer with the dogs. Much more poetic (and humane) in the book. In the film, I lost all sense of sympathy for Rorshach at that point.

Actually it's BOTH Nolans, Goyer and Kurt Johnstad

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=41974

Irish should be able to confirm. Goyer's original third act was a disaster according to what I've read

Seems David Goyer wrote the bulk of it or all of it and had to leave for another project so 300 writer Kurt Johnstad came in to polish it up with rewrites while Jonah Nolan got a chance to look it over but "took a pass on it too."

That to me says two writers and a third who passed on the project, i google Man of steel writers and there was only David Goyer and Kurt Johnstad listed :wave

Chris Nolan and Goyer came up with the story upon which Goyer first draft was based - fact

Jonathan Nolan also worked on the third act according to a number of sources. But yes , that bit is not confirmed. Like I said Irish should be able to confirm - he's got inside info.

Actually it's BOTH Nolans, Goyer and Kurt Johnstad

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=41974

Irish should be able to confirm. Goyer's original third act was a disaster according to what I've read

Correct. And despite what the hundreds of Nolan haters (nova) in this thread say, Nolan is heavily involved, which I am thankful for. Im way more concerned about having Snyder at the helm than I would be if Nolan was directing. Snyder isn't even in the same league as far as i'm concerned, compare the twos résumés, not even close. :lol

The actress playing feora is Yummmm

12311409_ori.jpg

My single biggest gripe in the film version of Watchmen was how Rorshach dispatched the murderer with the dogs. Much more poetic (and humane) in the book. In the film, I lost all sense of sympathy for Rorshach at that point.

Considering the mans crime, the punishment was adequate imo

Last edited:

All that said it was still a better adaptation than the recent animated adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.
Better than any other attempt at translating Alan Moore to movies IMO (including the only other decent one--V for Vendetta). But while I think Snyder took the appropriate approach in at least striving for source accuracy, as I have thought more about it I wonder whether it was needed or contributed anything good or new to the experience I had reading the comic. And ultimately, I don't think it does. In fact, for some of the reasons you point out (and others) it doesn't approach the brilliance of the original comic series. Moore wrote the story so that it was tailored to the medium of comics. The pacing, drama, and nuance all work so perfectly there, as much of Moore's work does. When you try to take that and stick it into a different medium, something is lost, no matter how much to attempt to stick to the source.

For that reason, if I never read the comics I would probably love the movie a lot more than I do. But I have read them. Same with the Animated Year One, which added nothing new to my experience of processing that story. I haven't been very interested in Dark Knight Returns because of the lackluster result of Year One.

That's one positive about Nolan's Bat-films--did he take liberties? Yes, but I think all filmmakers should. The question is of whether he took too many liberties. Discarding all but the most superficial components of Batman's villains was annoying, but the films were still great. Personally, I would rather a filmmaker take lots of chances, and redefine properties their own way while giving us something new and memorable than a filmmaker sticking so closely to something we all know so well that the experience provides us with nothing really new.

I completely agree except that I think V for Vendetta is the more accomplished adaption

Watchmen should have been done as a TV miniseries including all the Black Freighter stuff

A pure Nolan Superman would be 95% dialogue focusing on emo Superman sad about being super and from another planet. Then we would get a quick 3 minute action scene, then more dialogue followed by more introspective dialogue....ugh.

Hopefully Snyder can inject something visual, heart pounding and exciting. Something no Superman movie has ever had.

I completely agree except that I think V for Vendetta is the more accomplished adaption

Watchmen should have been done as a TV miniseries including all the Black Freighter stuff

I don't necessarily view "V" as a superhero though. A hero, most definitely. But superhero, no. I looked at that as more a "Constantine" type film.

Back