MALLRATS 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
I loved this film, I'm psyched Kevin Smith is going back to the well.

mallrats-2-128195.jpg

Kevin Smith said:
We goin' back to the MALL, ya'll! Stan Lee, Jay and Silent Bob and Michael Rooker are making a number 2. Talking about in this picture, not the movie. I'm aiming for the movie to be good. (This pic was taken yesterday, as all four of us gathered to shoot a really adorable Stan-centric spot for Audi that you'll see online as we get closer to the release of Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron.)

CAyFuBuWsAAqth3.jpg

Kevin Smith said:
"Brenda?" On the new BABBLE-ON, @DohertyShannen says she's going back to the MALL, ya'll! 5 down and 7 to go... #MR2

It's been twenty years since Mallrats bombed at the box office and went on to become a huge hit on home video. In the intervening time, Smith has made a number of films in the interconnected universe that Mallrats shared with his 1994 debut feature, Clerks. A second Clerks film was made in 2006, with a third set to begin photography this spring.

No specific details have yet been released about Mallrats 2, although the end of the first film gave Animal House-style endings to each of the characters that may somewhat limit what they can do without breaking "canon." Brodie Bruce, the character played by Jason Lee in the film, also appeared in 2001's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, having given up his job at The Tonight Show to buy and operate a comic book store.

Why is he doing this you might ask?

What Smith did explain was that the idea for Mallrats 2 was born solely out of a desire to entertain himself, as opposed to every thing he’s ever done. “Lately I’ve been doing this thing where I’m like ‘Do you want to do what’s good for your career or do you just want to have fun?’” Smith said of this new experimental phase of total self-indulgence. “Nobody’s clamoring for a Mallrats sequel, but I would love to make one. It’s been like 20 years.”

I couldn't be happier.

Whaaaaat!! So excited about this I named my son Brodie after this character

Cool, I still enjoy his movies. Though come to think of it I've probably seen Mallrats the least of all his films. I'll give it a rewatch if I have it.

Jersey Girl is the one I've seen the least, I like it alright but I just never get that need to watch it. I don't put on Mallrats but if it's on then I'm watching.

Thought Joey Lauren Adams was smoking in Mallrats and Dazed and Confused.

She ain't anymore......

I'll watch it. I like his films and the fact that he can get the original cast back is pretty cool. I know a lot of people give him **** about the movies he makes but there's a lot worse out there.

This should be interesting. Something have changed since the first film. Back when Mallrats came out, Stan Lee was not as famous or as recognizable as he is today, and both Marvel and DC didn't dominate pop culture and Hollywood to the point that non comic fans know about superheroes and comics. But the two main changes are the downfall of comic book shops and Malls just aren't what they used to be in the 90's. The mall should be almost empty in this film.

This will probably play out the way Clerks II did. I'm pretty sure Jay and Silent Bob will still be hanging out at the mall. But...

- Is Brodie still hosting The Tonight Show and is Rene still his drummer?

- Are T.S. and Brandi still married?

- Is Shannon still in prison?

Oh god, I was so in love with Brodie back in high school when this came out.

"What do you like about him? He's just a good-looking rebel who plays by his own rules."

Sigh.

Great news. I first discovered this on BBC2 late night in 1997, taped it, passed it around my class, everyone still quotes it to this day. I'm also gonna get all of Diamond's new ViewAskewniverse figures. Does anyone else listen to Smith's Batman podcasts? His Jim Lee interviews are amazing.

This will probably play out the way Clerks II did. I'm pretty sure Jay and Silent Bob will still be hanging out at the mall. But...

- Is Brodie still hosting The Tonight Show and is Rene still his drummer?

He left the Tonight Show. In the Jay and Silent Bob film, Brodie owns a comic book store, which makes a lot more sense :lol

I was never a big fan of this one. I liked Clerks and Dogma a lot more way back in the day. But, I haven't seen the original in probably 15 years. I don't care nearly as much for Smith's films as I used to, but I may see this just for old times' sake.

I wonder where it'll be filmed? The original mall where it was filmed (Eden Prarie Center) has had a major renovation since this movie was filmed. It's a really nice modern, fancy mall now.

Back