Maglor's Official Introduction

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my 200th post and I wanted to do something special for the occasion! So, as I have not yet officially introduced myself, now is the time!!! :)

I have loved action figures all my life. When I was a kid my “people” as I called them, were always my favorite toys! I played with them everywhere, including the bathtub and in the dirt around the tree in the front yard. Even at that age I was fascinated by the look of the figures and would set them up in cool poses. I also liked to throw them in the air and see what position they would land in when they fell!:D

As I got into my teens I started really looking for realism in action figures and I started collecting a lot of McFarlane stuff. Never got heavily into Spawn but was a member of the McFarlane mailing list and some of my favorite figures are McFarlane club exclusives.

I can’t pin a date on it, but somewhere around 10 years ago I discovered 1/6 scale figures. My first such figure was Nosferatu. I saw him on display at a local movie theater. It is an “art house,” and they play the 1922 silent Nosferatu (often with live music) every October. I thought the figure looked so cool in its purple coat!

I found him later by chance at a local horror themed collectibles shop (which has since gone out of business). I found the original receipt for that figure the other day... I paid $25 for him! At the time that seemed like so much money, because I had never spent that much on a figure before! Now to pay that little for a 1/6 figure is extremely rare for me!!! :rolleyes:

At first, I still liked the smaller figures that were all molded, because to my eye at the time molding could capture the scale of clothing better then actual cloth. And for a while my ratio of small molded figures to 1/6 scale figures was about 20:1. I got really big into Lord of the Rings figures, and to a smaller extent DC stuff.

However, my preference changed as I got better at futzing my 1/6 scale figure’s poses and clothes into perfection!!!

Now I almost never buy any of the small plastic variety of action figures. In fact, I have a huge plastic trunk filled with these guys in ziploc baggies! Not sure what to do with them now. :eek:

I joined the Sideshow Freaks in January of 2009 because I had an accident with one of my figures. The Dr. and Nurse figures from the Twilight Zone episode: Eye of the Beholder were attacked by the books on the shelf with them as the bookend I was using was way too weak to hold them up! As a result, the Nurses syringe tip broke off!!!:horror

I joined this site under the advisement of customer service at Sideshow Toys because they did not have any spare syringes for me to buy. I started a thread looking for advice and it helped me solve my problem! You can read all about it here:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1412703#post1412703

For the most part my figure buying had slowed down to almost a halt until I saw the announcement of the new DX Joker from Hot Toys! I had to order it!!! When I received it, I loved it so much that my hobby was re-energized! Unfortunately, Hot Toys has spoiled me a little and I am in danger of a very expensive addiction!

Here are some details about me;

1) I have been married since September 1st 2002 (7 years now)

2) I was born on November 9th 1977 (32 years now)

3) I became a massage therapist in August of 2000. I have my own business and I specialize in Neuromuscular Therapy. If you are reading this and are a 1/6 scale collecting massage therapist, let me know! There can’t be very many of us!!!

4) I play guitar, and compose my own music.

5) I have diverse tasted in music but tend to enjoy Metal the most. Especially Symphonic Metal!!! :rock Look up Epica for an example of the kind of music I mean.

6) I am a huge Ringer! Meaning I love all things J.R.R. Tolkien.:gandalf_w:gollum::ring:balrog

I may come back and up date this post, but I need to go for now, as I am eager to make more posts and I can’t until this 200th one has been made!

See you in the forums FREAKS!!!!!!!

[Edit: Nice, now I am a Freakazoid!!!]

Last edited:
Thanks all! Glad to be here.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my "real life" friends have only a token interest in my collecting hobby at best. So I don't get to share my childlike excitement with them in any meaningful way when I get new "toys".

So it is really nice to have a community like this where I'm not the only freak! :eek:

welcome-1.gif

Can you think of anything more self serving than bumping your own introduction thread?

...oh, what the heck it's my 400th post!

BUMP!

:fireworks:fireworks

[Edit: aw nutz, still just a "Freakazoid":mad:... when's the next user title 'upgrade'? Maybe I'll have to come up with a custom one. I'm gonna sleep on that.]

Last edited:
Back