1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was anyone actually expecting this to turn out like the proto with SS's history? HT SW will be the death of SS's SW line. (no droids are or aliens will save them) And good riddance.

Was anyone actually expecting this to turn out like the proto with SS's history? HT SW will be the death of SS's SW line. (no droids are or aliens will save them) And good riddance.

Hoping.

This was that first figure with the $240 price tag that included virtually nothing... so one was hopeful that Sideshow was making some 'great leap' forward in their sculpt/paint apps/costuming. Clearly this was not the case. This figure is no better than their Hoth figures -- maybe worse -- and comes with zero extras and no 2nd head -- and yet has a re-useable outfit for Sideshow (TIE pilot suit).

Nail in the coffin. Straw that broke. This was my last hope.

If C-3PO turns out good that will get a lot of buys.... they could do Cad Bane in his Bounty Hunter outfit, Ahsoka Tano.... different R2 units.... BB-8.... any TFA aliens..... they still have some figure releases that can sell well....

There is a river to cross and then there is the grand canyon.
Both are land gaps. :lol

Not sure if you're referring to the Han V1 prototype being pictured on the box when what was delivered was the revised sculpt but it's irrelevant either way. Point is no-one looks at an HT box and thinks they're getting one thing and then opens it to profound disappointment. In general, the production is extremely close to the prototype.

Wasn't meant to be Sideshow v Hot Toys, just a note in regard to the way they manufacture their boxes. The Hoth figures use the prototype, Scout Trooper, prototype, TIE Pilot, proto, every figure they do, prototype.

Just don't know why it would ever be expected that they update the box starting with this figure, that's all. :)

As for the figure, I'm with everyone else that is relieved they never ordered. I can't imagine too many folks ordered after the NRD went up. I'll be interested to see if anyone makes a killer custom out of the outfit, but would be thrilled if a HT Snowspeeder Luke was previewed in the mean time.

This is a bit of a game-changer for me. If Sideshow hasn't figured this out by now, they never will. They've had so many shots at this - but clearly there isn't the will to improve. It just isn't a priority. Even as prices go from $140 to $240 in just a few years. [...]

The technology and means of production are available. They just don't do it.

[...]With this figure it has crossed over into delusional and insulting - as if they think people are stupid enough to accept this for that amount of money.

Some people will. Probably enough people will. Collectors pay more for less all the time. :dunno

I guess HT will do the Luke Snowspeeder soon enough and I'll get that.[...]

I really hope they do.

Have we talked about the jumpsuit? im not seeing alot of room for futz on that jumpsuit. Its tighter on his arm pits and groin then the proto. You may get it to look better but it will not look like that proto. Check out the collar too, looks like garbage.:slap

My main worry is the shoulders, which extends to the tailoring around the armpits, yes...fabric looks questionable but I would hope that could be remedied with hot water and maybe some weathering. But it's maybe the least of this product's issues.

Nope. They always $!@# up the human figures. Sideshow should stick with what they do best, non-human aliens and droids. They are going to milk the droid repaints now like they did the clones. They need to let the real pros like Hot Toys take over sixth scale even though their likenesses still leave much to be desired. At least they don't suffer from amateur paint apps and horrible bodies. I really hope poor sales are going to bite them in the @ss big time.

Wow this figure looks bad, I'll have to see it in person to make a decision...

But most of their figures do sell out, eventually. So I don't think they are in a bad place financially.

My main worry is the shoulders, which extends to the tailoring around the armpits, yes...fabric looks questionable but I would hope that could be remedied with hot water and maybe some weathering. But it's maybe the least of this product's issues.

The upper body of the flight suit looks kinda puffy to me. Really liked how simple and clean the tailoring looked on the prototype. Lots of bunched up spots in the photos we've seen so far. Still curious if other bodies will suit the tailoring better but I can't imagine too many or gonna drop the chunk of change it'll take to get all the parts or the actual figure. Be curious what the parted out pieces go for on TA, but it seems like you'd need everything.

The custom route, I would try the narrow shoulders like the HT Bespin Luke or the new ANH Luke coming soon. Just dont know what the body will look like. Potentially could use the head and neck plug from the Luke in ST Disguise on a narrow shoulder, or use the new luke head and body as it appears to be a 1 piece body with sculpt.

I thought this Xwing Luke was supposed to be a new sideshow body, so I am eager to see if it too is a piece of crap.

I thought this Xwing Luke was supposed to be a new sideshow body, so I am eager to see if it too is a piece of crap.

The body quality might be improved but the arms still stick out on the sides from the look of the photos so far. People will still be dremeling down the sides, etc. :slap

Wow this figure looks bad, I'll have to see it in person to make a decision...

But most of their figures do sell out, eventually. So I don't think they are in a bad place financially.

Hoth Luke and Han still in stock almost 6 months later but with all of the contests and give always they do I'm sure they will eventually get rid of their warehouse stock. :lol

Nope. They always $!@# up the human figures. Sideshow should stick with what they do best, non-human aliens and droids. They are going to milk the droid repaints now like they did the clones. They need to let the real pros like Hot Toys take over sixth scale even though their likenesses still leave much to be desired. At least they don't suffer from amateur paint apps and horrible bodies. I really hope poor sales are going to bite them in the @ss big time.

I am starting to agree that Sideshow is raising the retail price to protect their margins. If you look at the new price point model, they are getting full price from the pre-orders, NRDs from the cancels and then in the case they have to discount even at 50% off of the $240 that is only a 25-30% discount point on what their figures were selling for. Riding on HT's cape tails to charge the relative price since they are selling those figures on the site. Doesn't mean it is right but the optics are good for them financially. As others are stating, for these figures it works because of the low production they always do sell out.

This has been their business model for 1/6th star wars for 10 years.................why change now?

This has been their business model for 1/6th star wars for 10 years.................why change now?

LOL, well its just getting more painful and obvious every time a Team America figure get's launched as of late. :lol
At least they get real doll hair.

1zdw3lg.jpg

It seems pretty shifty on Sideshow's part to preview a prototype that looks great, charge a nonrefundable deposit, and deliver something that turns out looking like crap. It borderline feels like false advertising.

I almost feel bad for the artists who work for Sideshow and are obviously working hard to develop these prototypes, only to have lackluster production spit out final products that in no way live up to their original intent and vision.

Well 10 years ago the price of their first Star Wars figure was $40 and the quality hasn't really improved relative to the cost. I really hope enough collectors out there say enough is enough and drop them like a two dolla ho.

I almost feel bad for the artists who work for Sideshow and are obviously working hard to develop these prototypes, only to have lackluster production spit out final products that in no way live up to their original intent and vision.

I know how they feel. I've worked on films (indie stuff, nothing big) where my hard work was distorted rather than enhanced or improved by the director's and/or editor's vision. It's not a good feeling. But you swallow it, because it's your job and you're not in charge.

Back