1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before he worked for Sideshow, Wan Lee turned this ...

rM2HCyI.jpg

... into this ...

JwENn0X.jpg

So he can do great things as a one-off, but the proof will be in the production piece.

"OK Wan, no need to build a factory template for this - you'll be painting the sculpts for all eight pre-orders"
Lol. Well, if SSC is now finally upping their game to compete head-to-head with HT in regards to human likenesses, good for them. That is a fantastic sculpt and paint. In fairness, maybe the newly developed body is also bumping this figure's cost up quite a bit, too. I wouldn't buy it for $150.00, because X-Wing Luke has just never been something I wanted to see on my shelf, but I do hope they are able to pull the above quality off in production. Would be nice if SSC and HT were about on par. Who knows, maybe HT is subletting their facilities now to SSC and charging them for it? Would love to see an internal breakdown of that $240.00 MSRP.

Last edited:
Just me taking an educated guess, but perhaps. . . hopefully. . . the reason SSC is hiring a Korean (Eastern-located person) to do the painting, is to be there, in the factory, overseeing the paint, showing the workers how to do it. That's the main advantage all these other companies have, DAM, DID, Hot Toys, Enterbay, all these companies that have realistic paint applications, are over there at the factory watching it be completed. Meanwhile Sideshow is sitting in their comfy Los Angeles offices, pulling their hair out via e-mail and Photoshop pictures trying to show them how to paint it properly.

Maybe, if he's close enough to the Chinese factories.

Ever notice all the best painters are Korean? Wonder why that is ...?

Sculptors, too. Perhaps they have a school, or at least an active mentor-apprentice group of model sculptors and painters? I noticed that SSC's latest human sculpts are done by Korean sculptors, including Snake Plissken (which Wan Lee also headpainted).

If Wan Lee/Lalla becomes SSC's JC Hong then we can hope that SSC's paint apps will be much, much better. While he did the headpaint for Nathan Drake I guess the production wasn't supervised well. If I'm not mistaken Lalla painted the proto for the armor of HT's Mark I 2.0.

This still is my favorite among his works:

m5.jpg

m7.jpg

Lol. Well, if SSC is now finally upping their game to compete head-to-head with HT in regards to human likenesses, good for them. That is a fantastic sculpt and paint. In fairness, maybe the newly developed body is also bumping this figure's cost up quite a bit, too. I wouldn't buy it for $150.00, because X-Wing Luke has just never been something I wanted to see on my shelf, but I do hope they are able to pull the above quality off in production. Would be nice if SSC and HT were about on par. Who knows, maybe HT is subletting their facilities now to SSC and charging them for it? Would love to see an internal breakdown of that $240.00 MSRP.

It looks fantastic. If it turns out like that I'd pick one up for sure.

With a coupon.

If this comes out looking as good as that picture I'm in. The Hoth figures should give us some indication on whether Sideshow's quality has improved or not.

If this comes out looking as good as that picture I'm in. The Hoth figures should give us some indication on whether Sideshow's quality has improved or not.

But those weren't done by Asian artisans they will prob be the last of SS's old American artists, and maybe the new frontier is this and higher prices.

WOW the pic from the Luke head was very hammer nice :panic:
When that comes and Sideshow push up the quality to the HT standard, then good night.
The Price is high thats right, but when it comes so, almost ok.
I have already said we must wait for the Hoth Han and Luke.
When we have in hand pic´s than we can make a real discussion over the new way and quality from Sideshow.
At the moment, I must say, I have done right to order anything this figure. :yess:

It looks fantastic. If it turns out like that I'd pick one up for sure.

With a coupon.

Come on let yourself be seduced by the dark side Sideshow. :hi5:

easy pass for me ill stick with my Hasbro one $240 is way to much ,he doesn't even have a blaster or Lightsaber. HT Bespin Luke was a far greater value ,plus all of the display options. At that price he should at least come with the cockpit of his xwing!

Back