1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally opened this guy - I didn't realize what I bought was a never-opened EX version, so was pretty happy with that for the price.

This is a quick snap unfutzed out of the box next to the HT Luke wearing the Luke X hairpiece. What you can see of the Luke X face with the helmet on and visor down really does look very close to HT quality in terms of sculpt and paint, so I'm not going to mess with it and try to make a no-helmet pose work. Wasn't a fan of the bare head, but with helmet/visor on, I'm really pleased with how it displays.

Just have to figure out what to do with my custom $100 Luke X-wing now. I ported the EX hands to that figure, but now I have two Luke X's, the only difference one has black gloves, the other bare hands. I'm going to have a play with both to see if maybe I can convert one into a more scene-specific moment, or put one in my ANH Empire cabinet to stand next to TIE Pilot.

ziI1sFr.jpg

Part of me wishes I had this. I see BBTS has it in stock still for $220 which is $20 less than it retailed for at Sideshow. I’m probably in the minority but I much prefer the look of this one versus the Snowspeeder version.

The proportion of the hair looks good. Just dry brush some highlights in. I’ve been wanting to pick this guy up. I actually like this better than the Snowspeeder version.

Part of me wishes I had this. I see BBTS has it in stock still for $220 which is $20 less than it retailed for at Sideshow. I’m probably in the minority but I much prefer the look of this one versus the Snowspeeder version.

I totally agree with you Mike. I was all for wanting the Snowspeeder version, however then I thought about it and realised my absolute favourite moment as a kid was the sequence of Luke flying into the Deathstar trench. I mean that was seriously epic camera work. Just the concept blew my mind to feel like being in the X-Wing !

Anyway, that's where I thought X-Wing Luke is actually great (with helmet on !) and exactly what I need to represent that moment in the film.

I think I also got him with a discount code, but one of Sideshows rare good figures imo.

Yeah, the trench run scene is great, still possibly the best space battle for me, and I love them all. But figure-wise/outfit-wise I would give the slight edge to the snowpeeder version, but it’s close. Just a slightly more involved outfit. Execution is probably equal on both (outfit wise) with a slight nod to snowpeeder Luke on the helmeted Luke paint app.

Hoth attack is amazing but I’d probably agree that the trench run scene is the more impactful — though one point in all of this is that the snowspeeder suit gets much more screen time during the action. Whereas x-wing suit he’s mostly in the cockpit and seen from the chest box up.

If I had to have a Luke from each movie I’d be in a bind. Jedi is easy since to me they’re all just variants of the DS II outfit — but when it comes to the figures empire I prefer both sideshow pilot outfits to their main outfit HT version, so that puts me in a bind as I don’t want the two flight suits.

Yeah, the Luke X-wing is definitely the more iconic look, but as TonTon says, he does do a lot more "visibly" in the slicker coat "Hoth/Dagobah" version of the outfit.

I realized I now have FOUR Luke pilot figures (no kidding, I had three Luke Snowspeeders at one point.) I'm getting a bit like JediJim and his Luke collection - I really need to assemble all my Lukes like he does to see how many I have (I think the only version I don't have is Yavin medal.) I guess I do love the orange outfit.:lol

Still trying to find a pose I like for the X-wing version. I think I'm going to transfer this running pose to my no-gloves custom Luke X-wing and put the black gloves stock SSC figure in a neutral pose next to my TIE pilot.

One thing that most people don't seem to notice is that the HOth figure has a more accurate plum color to the helmet deco versus the muted red the X-wing pilot version has. As per Sideshow's usual "near enough is close enough" ethos, both helmets have a slightly wrong deco layout anyway (one day I may repaint the helmets - there are decals available.)

XpoPp35.jpg

I realized I now have FOUR Luke pilot figures (no kidding, I had three Luke Snowspeeders at one point.) I'm getting a bit like JediJim and his Luke collection - I really need to assemble all my Lukes like he does to see how many I have (I think the only version I don't have is Yavin medal.)

XpoPp35.jpg

LOL! Thanks for the shout out. I do love me some Luke. I still need a Snowspeeder so I am very jealous of your 3 as opposed to my 0.

Finally decided to pick this one up with a discount code I had at Popcultcha. It's definitely a very barebones figure and not the most exciting one to pose, but I've always loved the look and wanted some extra color in my SW collection (and plus the old Kenner version was always my favorite Luke as a kid :D).

I thought I might be able to repaint the SS head, but after taking one look at it decided it just wasn't worth the effort and swapped in my repainted HT head instead. And suddenly the figure seems to look a whole lot better now.

Anyway here he is in one of the only two poses you can put him in. :lol

20180913_194718 (535x925).jpg

20180913_194754 (561x925).jpg

20180913_194827 (542x925).jpg

One question I do have though-- does anybody else have these weird spots on the inside of the visor? It's not nearly as noticeable from the front, but when the light shines through from behind it's impossible to miss. Not sure if it's a problem with the casting or caused by too much heat or what. I thought about returning, but not sure if the replacement would be the same way. And I did notice the same kind of spots in Michael Crawford's old review of the figure...

20180913_195138 (424x600).jpg

Finally decided to pick this one up with a discount code I had at Popcultcha. It's definitely a very barebones figure and not the most exciting one to pose, but I've always loved the look and wanted some extra color in my SW collection (and plus the old Kenner version was always my favorite Luke as a kid :D).

I thought I might be able to repaint the SS head, but after taking one look at it decided it just wasn't worth the effort and swapped in my repainted HT head instead. And suddenly the figure seems to look a whole lot better now.

Anyway here he is in one of the only two poses you can put him in. :lol

One question I do have though-- does anybody else have these weird spots on the inside of the visor? It's not nearly as noticeable from the front, but when the light shines through from behind it's impossible to miss. Not sure if it's a problem with the casting or caused by too much heat or what. I thought about returning, but not sure if the replacement would be the same way. And I did notice the same kind of spots in Michael Crawford's old review of the figure...

That Sideshow hair looks weird with the Ht headsculpt.

I dont have those spots on the helmet visor, looks like fungus :dunno

My Lukes. I was lucky to pick the exclusive gloves and hands loose
luke jedi and pilot.JPG

I read like 50 pages of this thread. The spots are hit or miss.

Nice Luke’s guys. Not much of collecting the heroes except gotta have Jedi Luke and been always a fan of the X-wing Luke. Always wanted to pick this guy up but have been holding out for HT to do him. He’s not a must have for me but if they don’t release him in the next year or so I’ll scoop this guy up. Looks great.

View attachment 426647

I have two Luke X-wings (one stock SSC and the other a custom with SSC gear) and neither helmet has any spots at all. It kinda works though in a sweat/grime weathering kind of way.

And nice paint up on Luke (didn't you sculpt a Luke a couple of years ago...?) Is that the hair from that Medicom and Enterbay Luke?

Great job on your X-wing Luke, davejames.

I do like how that medicom hair looks on him. Definitely better than the stock HT hair.

Back when he was initially broken down, I picked up an extra set of outfit and gear to make a custom "Porkins". I need to work on that soon.

Any ideas on how easy or difficult it is to remove the jumpsuit for a body swap?

I’ve done it. Very easy. You just need tweezers to make your life easy in regards to the tiny buckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip!

Did you use any specific body? I want to change to a neckless body so I have better head options.

Thanks for the tip!

Did you use any specific body? I want to change to a neckless body so I have better head options.

I actually switched from the SSC body to a HT Luke-in-Stormtrooper-Disguise body.

If I recall, that body is neckless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back