1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but even at $206 shipped. I see some of these in hand pics and im like ooooo no thankyou. I duno how much off id need to order but i just cant bring myself to do it.

You could always sell the body and head and replace them with a knock off HT Farmboy Luke head and a knock off body, and you'd almost certainly make some kind of profit on what you sold on.

Well the people who bought it at $30 off last week must be super happy.:lol

I guess everyone knew it would come to this, and SSC themselves should have known - it's a simple figure with a very mediocre headsculpt that was at least $50 overpriced 18 months ago when it PO'ed. It should have been $170-180, even in the context of the jump in prices over the past 5 years.

How they thought they could get $240 for this is a mystery. In the post-mortem on what sunk SSC's 1/6 SW line, this figure will feature prominently. Greed or cluelessness - the result was the same.

And I'm looking forward to the deep discounts / triple rewards / free shipping they'll have to offer to move the dusty stock of the Snowspeeder Lukes that won't sell at $270+ shipping.

Well the people who bought it at $30 off last week must be super happy.:lol

I guess everyone knew it would come to this, and SSC themselves should have known - it's a simple figure with a very mediocre headsculpt that was at least $50 overpriced 18 months ago when it PO'ed. It should have been $170-180, even in the context of the jump in prices over the past 5 years.

How they thought they could get $240 for this is a mystery. In the post-mortem on what sunk SSC's 1/6 SW line, this figure will feature prominently. Greed or cluelessness - the result was the same.
Yeah. How much you want to bet that around this time next year we'll be seeing heavy discounts on the Han in carbonite and Snow Speeder Luke? Darth Maul just recently released and he's already $50 off too. Same with figures like the AT-AT Driver and Jawas that just released earlier in the year. Sideshow needs to take a step back and look at how they're pricing their figures in my opinion. No one wants to buy simple figures with hardly any accessories for $240 or more and if they only move with heavy discounts there's clearly a problem.

Some of the Hot Toys figures are marked down too but not nearly as many in comparison to how many they release versus Sideshow that has a relatively small output of sixth scale figures.

Yeah. How much you want to bet that around this time next year we'll be seeing heavy discounts on the Han in carbonite and Snow Speeder Luke? Darth Maul just recently released and he's already $50 off too. Same with figures like the AT-AT Driver and Jawas that just released earlier in the year. Sideshow needs to take a step back and look at how they're pricing their figures in my opinion. No one wants to buy simple figures with hardly any accessories for $240 or more and if they only move with heavy discounts there's clearly a problem.

Some of the Hot Toys figures are marked down too but not nearly as many in comparison to how many they release versus Sideshow that has a relatively small output of sixth scale figures.

Interesting too that long awaited OT figures should be marked down. You'd be less surprised at discounts on something from TFA or RO.

Interesting too that long awaited OT figures should be marked down. You'd be less surprised at discounts on something from TFA or RO.
I think people won't/can't pay £200+ for background characters, even if from the OT. I'd love a Death Star Trooper but will have to pass.
Just seen the UK seller who I got the single Rey from at just below £200 now has Old Luke up for £259.99 [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think people won't/can't pay £200+ for background characters, even if from the OT. I'd love a Death Star Trooper but will have to pass.
Just seen the UK seller who I got the single Rey from at just below £200 now has Old Luke up for £259.99 [emoji33]

That's insane. Not long ago £300 was what you paid for something super-desirable and long out of production, like a DX, with all their luxury packaging, extras etc.. In a few months time it'll be the standard price of a new figure, and a barebones one at that.

That's insane. Not long ago £300 was what you paid for something super-desirable and long out of production, like a DX, with all their luxury packaging, extras etc.. In a few months time it'll be the standard price of a new figure, and a barebones one at that.
At least the Hong Kong sellers still have him around £200, so will have to go down that route once he's out.

And I'm looking forward to the deep discounts / triple rewards / free shipping they'll have to offer to move the dusty stock of the Snowspeeder Lukes that won't sell at $270+ shipping.

I have $110 of RP set aside for Luke Snowsp but yeah, you're probably right about discounts. If the headsculpt turns out stellar (yeah right...) it may be different though.

That's pretty amazing about Maul. Further motivation for SSC's regular customers to not PO and wait - I feel sorry for people who paid that sky-high full price. They must feel a bit betrayed. It's not like Maul has sat around six months and they had to move him.

And the Jawas have been around a while - close to 6 months I think, but ATAT driver is far more recent like Maul (started shipping within the past 6 weeks.)

Discounts to the degree of $50 is probably a very bad thing on figures that have only just released in the past 6 weeks. Sets a bad precedent.

They're just not that well executed for the price. If the SSC Luke X headsculpt was a stunner that nailed Hamill (and bettered the very middling HT Luke sculpt,) it would have sold, possibly sold out, even at $240. The problem with SSC has always been QC (very poor paint apps, body issues etc.) and no-brainer inaccuracies, and those problems created "product won't move" problems when their prices jumped $100+ in 5 years - in essence doubled - and HT moved into the neighborhood.

There was a time 5-10 years ago when you could get most of the SW figures you wanted, when SSC figs were in the $50-130 range. Because of the companies' price rise, I've noticed I'm even ordering less parts from Toy Anxiety these days because an order that used to be $50 is now nearly $100.

There's definitely a bit of a 1/6 winter - where new collectors have to settle for a half dozen "most wanted" figs instead of 12-20 in a wider collection, and established collectors have to be ultra-picky.

That's pretty amazing about Maul. Further motivation for SSC's regular customers to not PO and wait - I feel sorry for people who paid that sky-high full price. They must feel a bit betrayed. It's not like Maul has sat around six months and they had to move him.

And the Jawas have been around a while - close to 6 months I think, but ATAT driver is far more recent like Maul (started shipping within the past 6 weeks.)

Discounts to the degree of $50 is probably a very bad thing on figures that have only just released in the past 6 weeks. Sets a bad precedent.
I think it looks bad for any figure released within a year to receive that heavy of a discount personally. If they're doing that regularly there's no point in pre-ordering at all really if there's a chance of a heavy discount shortly after. I'm already less inclined to pre-order Sideshow figures because they rarely turn out as good as I'd like them to.

Actually I think the Snow Speeder Luke would be okay at $220 or so. Still high but not terribly unreasonable considering that it comes with more accessories. The Red 5 figure was a joke for the original asking price.

Actually I think the Snow Speeder Luke would be okay at $220 or so. Still high but not terribly unreasonable considering that it comes with more accessories. The Red 5 figure was a joke for the original asking price.

They shot themselves in the foot by PO'ing a very similar figure so close to the release of Luke X. What was already a tough sell became an instant warehouse-warmer.

I'm hoping to get both Dengar (assume $240) and Luke Snowspeeder to under $200 and I'll be okay with it - and then I'm likely all done with Sideshow unless something incredible comes along. They aren't exactly cranking out the new SW 1/6 product though.

I got a fair few RP during Spook, so in some ways they're like a SSC coupon discount (as opposed to "earned" RP by buying figs.) By the time Deng/Luke Snowsp are shipping, I should have around $120 worth of RP (both earned and bonus) so should be able to get that $240 + $270 total down to $390 total - so both around $195 (the all-important "1" at the start of the price, even if it's $5 to the "2".:lol)

Not leaping for joy at $200 each, but not feeling ripped off either for two fairly complex figs.

Another thing is i just got finn for $175 on black friday. With hot toys being superior in every way this furthermore makes me thing id be crazy to order this.

Ha yeah, it's definitely going to take much more than $50 off for the Snowspeeder Luke to be worth the price.

Yeah, Luke Snowsp is the granddaddy of sky-high prices. The mega-discounted $220 is about what it should have been in the first place and given SSC's quality issues, you'd wait for in-hand pics, especially on those heads.

The Luke Snowsp pricing was/is as strange as the Luke X pricing. How can a HT Snowie be $205 and SSC Luke Snowsp be nearly SEVENTY dollars more (and the Luke price was announced something like 6 months earlier)? The Luke Snowsp price only made sense in comparison to the Luke X price - but the Luke X price was koo-koo to begin with and still is.

These new SSC prices are almost going to become "coupon proof" - where $25 (the most common coupon/discount,) $30 (occasional coupon) and $50 (the mega combined coupons or major discount) just don't even make a dent. The reduced price is STILL crazy. :lol

Yeah, Luke Snowsp is the granddaddy of sky-high prices. The mega-discounted $220 is about what it should have been in the first place and given SSC's quality issues, you'd wait for in-hand pics, especially on those heads.

The Luke Snowsp pricing was/is as strange as the Luke X pricing. How can a HT Snowie be $205 and SSC Luke Snowsp be nearly SEVENTY dollars more (and the Luke price was announced something like 6 months earlier)? The Luke Snowsp price only made sense in comparison to the Luke X price - but the Luke X price was koo-koo to begin with and still is.

These new SSC prices are almost going to become "coupon proof" - where $25 (the most common coupon/discount,) $30 (occasional coupon) and $50 (the mega combined coupons or major discount) just don't even make a dent. The reduced price is STILL crazy. :lol

It's like they've become their own scalpers. Still, the model must be working because they're still in business - there must be enough people who buy this at full price to justify it, and maybe the margins are really high - how much does it cost to produce a figure like this?

It's like they've become their own scalpers. Still, the model must be working because they're still in business - there must be enough people who buy this at full price to justify it, and maybe the margins are really high - how much does it cost to produce a figure like this?

Its prob so minimal, like really dirt cheap. All the real money prob goes into the license. Even the sculpters and designers are prob medium salary based, no bonuses. A gold mine i tell ya.

Back