1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just opened this up and I'm really annoyed. I swapped out helmet for the hair piece and then back to the helmet.
This is what the full hairpiece did to the sculpt...

5e2e0797aea36971d8472be7e016ea72.jpg

7dc5e58ab748654ce54c1f2c7d567e57.jpg

3e379c90db1cb8da1fbde1be3e135825.jpg

e28b3fdfcb038193b2276feca034735f.jpg

0adc92c42b3901cb936038a94f8ba4bb.jpg

The paint just rubbed off on the sculpt and the hair also chipped the ear.

That happened to me also. It's just a horrible design. Too many steps. For the price it should have had two separate portraits; one with a helmet and one without.

Got this guy today, and I was truly surprised by it. My expectations were low, but after unboxing, I'm really pleased with it. Even the helmet-less sculpt is not nearly as bad as I thought, and I'm actually considering displaying him holding his helmet. I guess pictures don't really do him justice. One thing that sucked as soon as I took him out of the box and took off his helmet, I managed to knock off the tiny metal part on the chin strap that the magnet connects to. Of course it fell into the carpet...but after 10 minutes of crawling around on the floor I found it, and some tweezers and super glue later its back on. Some quick cell phone pics...
Luke 1.jpgLuke 3.jpgLuke 5.jpgLuke 6.jpgLuke 7.jpg

Arrived today. I'm working so I could neither futz nor photograph properly.

First impressions:

1. Very over-priced.
2. Not bad.
3. Not sold on the body.
4. Very evocative.
5. Paint and texture inferior to HT.
6. Can still display with HT (helmet on).
7. Likeness superior to HT.

I'll spend some time on it Friday. Bad cell phone pic!

6da2567f2c9b47296ee5c47b8faba5fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The head sculpt on this is terrific, but with so many HT Lukes, I've decided to pose mine with the helmet on.

What do you think about the proportions and color/weathering of the helmet ze?

Love the proportions, nice heft if that matters to you. Weathering is lacklustre but not a deal-breaker. In a similar vein the colours are wrong, too washed out, but it's a good looking piece nonetheless and not so wrong that it jumps out at me.

Repaint wouldn't be that hard, but I'm not bothered enough to go to that length.

Honestly it's a nice figure, just has issues and the bare head is a no-go for me.

Love the proportions, nice heft if that matters to you. Weathering is lacklustre but not a deal-breaker. In a similar vein the colours are wrong, too washed out, but it's a good looking piece nonetheless and not so wrong that it jumps out at me.

Repaint wouldn't be that hard, but I'm not bothered enough to go to that length.

Honestly it's a nice figure, just has issues and the bare head is a no-go for me.

Thanks for the insight, I don't have your eye for detail. If you can live with the helmet as is out of the box surely I could too. I would like to pass on this because of the price, paint, and hair. But they have me over a barrel here because I can't imagine my star wars lineup not having x wing luke. I can address the paint and hair with a hot toys head. But the helmet has always appeared off to me in pictures and would be a bigger issue as I am not a skilled painter.

The alternative is to wait and hope for hot toys snowspeeder luke but without any idea when or even if, I may just bite the bullet.

Thanks for the insight, I don't have your eye for detail. If you can live with the helmet as is out of the box surely I could too.

I'll extend the caveat that I'm not as well-versed on X-Wing flight suit/helmet details as I am on Stormtrooper armour. But a flip through reference photos and I don't see glaring proportion issues.

The thing about the weathering is that there's a near-uniform, sooty mist applied that can render the helmet grayish in some light. Not ideal but not terrible.

In some photos the rebel insignia and stripes look more orange than red, but in-hand they're red all right, just not the deeper maroon hue seen on-screen.

I love the contrast between the reflective visor and the matte finish of the helmet and fabrics on the figure; it makes it pop. My main issue with the body is that the shoulders look broad for Luke, but you could chalk that up to the SSC looking more like a pressure suit rather than a cheap coverall. ;)

The silver "flares" on the belt and leg strap look fine; I find the finish on the code cylinders a little too plasticky, but from a normal viewing distance of what, 24"-36" away? They're fine.

There is no ankle articulation. Normally this bothers me even though I'm a neutral poser, but I can let it go. The body still has enough articulation to be subtle and expressive.

Finally, the paint and headsculpt: In certain light the bare headsculpt will probably look good. I don't like the hair as it lacks the depth of a Hot Toys hairpiece and the paint is flat, sculpt detail at the fringes is a touch low-res.

The eyes and brows actually look great behind the visor. I look at this thing with the helmet on and it's Luke. There is a subtlety, delicacy and lack of idealization that sells the rest of the sculpt. It's Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. No doubt about it. I'm a big fan of Hot Toys but IMO this sculpt is better.

The paint is actually comparable to DX04 Bruce Lee, which I have standing next to Luke. Which is to say very good, just slightly flat compared to some of the 2015-2016 era Hot Toys skin finishes. I can't remember when DX04 came out.

I had the opportunity to buy this below retail but at the time I got Chewbacca instead.

So I ate it and bought this locally at full retail. Is it really worth it? In practice, it was to me because this is my favourite hero outfit, i.e. technological and helmeted up, one of the reasons I like Imperial troops so much; and I never intended to display this one without the helmet, even prior to seeing production photos. Buying locally saved me shipping, customs and so on, so it was kind of like using a code or points, I guess.

In reality? This product is overpriced. Not ridiculously so -- you get a decent body, a very nice helmet, perfectly acceptable paint, and decent cut and sew. But it's steep, especially because the headsculpt without the helmet is a bit of a letdown, limiting your posing options, so if you want to play the waiting game I wouldn't blame you.

If you like Pilot Luke, I think you will like this figure -- just manage your expectations. I got the SSC Scout Trooper; unboxed it, and sold it off the same day, because personally I couldn't forgive the liberties taken with the helmet sculpt for the price, and didn't want to invest time in fixing the weathering. It didn't "feel right" for me, personally. I imagine I'll be keeping this Luke figure unless Snowspeeder Luke is finally released, and even then I may hang on to it.

Given that I'm a non-completist, minimalist, unforgiving collector, maybe that gives you an idea. It's a cool piece.

I had no QC issues other than the magnet on the chin-strap coming unglued, Hot Toys-style.

Last edited:
My main issue with the body is that the shoulders look broad for Luke, but you could chalk that up to the SSC looking more like a pressure suit rather than a cheap coverall. ;)

Seems like we agree quite a bit about this figure.

The old Pro 1.0 cured the shoulders for me, and in turn gave me a better body for Sideshow's Hoth Luke.

ZE_501 said:
Finally, the paint and headsculpt: In certain light the bare headsculpt will probably look good. I don't like the hair as it lacks the depth of a Hot Toys hairpiece and the paint is flat, sculpt detail at the fringes is a touch low-res.

The eyes and brows actually look great behind the visor. I look at this thing with the helmet on and it's Luke. There is a subtlety, delicacy and lack of idealization that sells the rest of the sculpt. It's Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. No doubt about it. I'm a big fan of Hot Toys but IMO this sculpt is better.

It may not be as controversial as it once was, to say that this is more Hamill than Hot Toys, but a few people have seen it now. With the helmet on it's a great likeness.

And there is something wonderfully strange going on with the visor. The yellow translucency improves the eyes, almost as though they were designed to be seen this way. Of course, it's not ideal for anyone planning to go with a helmet holding pose, because I think the head looks poor without the helmet due to the eyes and hair.

Hence this figure is a one-trick pony, but I think it plays that trick very well, and considering the quality of the suit and accessories it stands in HT territory.

Back