Luke Skywalker 12" up for preorder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-- yeah, what was up with the flash e-mail thing? I only knew about luke because i happened to be doing my daily check of the board & saw the posts about the pre-order for the exclusive. then i get up this morning & see the flash e-mail thing -- wow, great timing :)

anyway, have to say that i'm really impressed by luke -- the sculpt is simply fantastic, waaaaayyy better than anything i've seen -- the lightsaber looks really accurate, and the outfit looks great! cannot wait to get him!

moebius9 said:
The more I think about it the closer I am to changing my mind on the real purpose of the exlclusives. Originally I was thinking along the lines that SS is just out to force us collectors to buy direct. In the case of Luke the exclusive seems pretty meaningless to me. That blaster just isn't something I want or need. So, I am starting to think that SS is using the exlcusives for the sole purpose of testing the market for a particular figure. This is going to let them know how much demand there is for that figure so they can determine a more accurate production run for the regular figure.

It's probably a combination of the 2 theories but it helps me deal with it in my own mind better. I bet the regular run is like 15k on this figure.

I totally share moebius9's opinion.

Yeah, I got my flash email with the announcement at 2 am this morning. This system may not be the most ideal way to let you know about an exclusive opportunity for newsletter subscribers but I don't know what would work better either. At least it worked for some folks. In my case it's good I was watching the board.
You know, I'm surprised there is ANY hating being done on this figure. My standards may be too low but the sculpt is unbelievable and the costume details appear to be also. I guess were just a tough crowd to make happy. I haven't seen the actual product yet but since I can only base my opinions on the pictures posted this is distinctly better done than the Medicom release at about a third the price. What's not to like?

:DYeah, by the time we get to Boba Fett my Marmit will seem like a good deal?

I like all the extra hands though and understand that it's gonna cost a bit more. I am just vocalizing the pinch in my wallet. Thay aren't making it very easy these days announcing PF LOTR while rolling SW out. Now, we just need 12" LOTR figures and Indiana Jones to make me sell my Condo to finance the collection.

I hope if sideshow does repeats of characters that they redo the sculpt and not follow the POTA trend, which really hurt that line.

I am not surprised that the price jumped to $50.00. The Star Wars license must have cost a pretty penny, and one must consider that Sideshow stuff doesn't ever pop up in brick and mortar stores. Hasbro could sell figures for twenty bucks, given their distribution channels and quality, but I expected this price. I am kinda upset that this sale went live during fantacular, and Sideshow forgot to make this one easy for the aforementioned fans. I was able to snag one as I kept checking the boards, but I was disappointed that we didn't get the exclusive sneak peek in the newsletter, nor did we get the advance warning on the ordering link. Their mail was delivered hours after I had ordered! At least the exclusive accessory wasn't something integral to the character. I would have been honked off if the exclusive were the cloak, or the femur or some such. I think that the advance notice to the newsletter members may be out of the picture for the Star Wars stuff, given that Sideshow is probably trying to reach as large a market as possible. I know not to get my hopes up that I will be lucky enough to be able to be in front of a computer for the rest of the pre-orders, but knowing what to expect, I am still really excited for this line!

Keep in mind it is not really fair to compair Hasbro to Sideshow. First there is a definite difference in quality and lets face it, you truly get what you pay for. Second, we actually see the production numbers for SS, in this instance 1250 for the exclusive Luke. While we don't know yet about the regular version, I'm sure the numbers won't compair to the large numbers that Hasbro produces of each of their figures. Again this can reflect on quality as well.

A closer comparison could probably be made between Sideshow and Medicom. Of course, I don't own any Medicom so I can't speak for the differences here. But from the pics, looks like Sideshow has a better offering at a significantly lower price.

The costume on the Medicom figure is okay but he's too skinny and the sculpt and skin tone are very wrong. You'd never think it was Hamill if he wasn't in the costume. And the SSC one is 1/3 the price for the exact same thing. I'm glad I have the Medicom one as he goes with the medicom Vader, but I doubt I'll feel the same after SSC puts out a Vader that's just as good.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Hurry before they're all gone!

Not to worry, I just put in a "flash" order! SS should get the order request, say, sometime before midnight tomorrow! :rolleyes:

But seriously. I was thinking maybe I should change my address with SS to a yahoo email or hotmail or something like that. I use the email for my own web server. Although it is an Interland server. Never get those newsletters any quicker than 18 hours later than everyone else. :sick

My flash e-mail arrived today, Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:02 AM. I received the regular newsletter this morning as well, at 10:29 AM. Coincidentally, I've received another e-mail from them announcing that, in 1999, they will begin selling collectible 8 inch figures based on classic Universal monsters. I can't say I'm all that interested in 8 inch, figures. Perhaps, something slightly bigger, GI Joe or Barbie sized with actual clothing would be cool. I'd love to see a Frankenstein's Monster done in this way, with some chains, perhaps a Bride to go with him. A Creature from the Black Lagoon with, I dunno, a rubber suit or something, that'd be awesome, too! I'd go for some James Bond figures in this scale if done right, too. A 14" Jaws! How cool would that be? I'd also like to see some truly good Star Wars figures in 1:6 scale. Hasbro, doesn't seem able to accomplish this. Maybe they'll get wise and pass the torch off to someone else someday, so to speak. Can't think of to whom, however. Oh, and I hear that guy from "Trainspotting" will be in the next Star Wars film. True? I need to move to California or something and find an agent so I can be in it, too! If not Episode I, than one of the sequels. That'd be great. Oh, someone know what a Spongebob is? No, not yet, huh?

Kidding aside, when's the next announcement on Star Wars 12" figures? Luke can't be the only one? There should be at least twelve others coinciding with his release: Vader, a Han, Slave Leia, Chewbacca, Lando, Anakin from Episode III, Padme from Episode II, Emperor Palpatine, Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2, and, uh, the rest.

Darth Waller said:
Snow Bunny Padme won the EU poll, so I bet she'll be announced in the near future.

I still can't believe that in the "rich with characters" Star Wars universe, Amidala was even a choice, let alone the winner in this contest.
I know if we were given the chance to pick one more POTA figure before the end, it sure wouldn't have been Taylor!!

Back