Lucas Talks Indy 5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.''

:monkey1

Yup. This is exactly what I said would happen.

You'll know more Sunday...

I know more now. :lol

Reviews should be out Monday though. Take them with a grain of salt, stick to the bellweather Reviewers if you must.... Todd McCarthy at Variety, etc.

Or ignore them altogether and just go see the Film fresh-headed. It's always best that way IMO.

I always ignore ALL reviews entirely for movies like this until I've seen it for myself a couple of times.

Yeah, I'll have to stay off the internet next week so I can just enjoy the anticipation and see what I think of the film. I have a strong feeling I'm going to enjoy it.

As for Indy 5 featuring Mutt Williams....no, thank you. I think he's going to be a good side character, but I really doubt I'm going to be clamoring for a feature film about his adventures. Indy is the draw to these films and the other character relationships only resonate, for me, because of THAT character.

Trev

As for Indy 5 featuring Mutt Williams....no, thank you. I think he's going to be a good side character, but I really doubt I'm going to be clamoring for a feature film about his adventures. Indy is the draw to these films and the other character relationships only resonate, for me, because of THAT character.

Trev

Totally agree Trev, but if Indy were featured as much as Henry Snr. was in TLC I think it would work ok. I'm sure all us rabid Indy fans would go see it.

I don't know about that. I was watching TLC last week and Henry Sr. doesn't show up for an HOUR. I wouldn't want to wait that long to see Indy.

I meant that Indy would get as much screen time as Henry got and not just show up for a 10 min cameo.

Of course the whole first part of TLC is the flashback, then the hunt for the grail setup and the discovery of dad. Henry's in the rest of the film after that. I'd expect Indy to show up much earlier than an hour, within the first 20 minutes. Or maybe at the start to get the "where the hell is Indy?" question out of the way, then have him drop out for 20-30 minutes (Indy gets captured or is in some sort of peril at the start or what have you - he gets captured in every film), Mutt discovers/saves him and Indy returns for the rest. It would certainly be an interesting writing challenge to move Indy closer to the sidekick type role but not make him feel like a sidekick too much, like Jack Burton is in Big Trouble in Little China.

Harrison and Shia respond to Lucas' comments on MTV:

"I have no cheeky answer for [that]. I just work here. I'm glad to work here," Ford told MTV News at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday (May 16). "Till they tell me otherwise, I will continue to be Indiana Jones."

"I know Harrison would love to," LaBeouf countered, smiling. "I know that Harrison, when he's 80, will still be jacked. Is there going to be an 80-year-old Indiana Jones? No one can say never."

There's actually already been a 93-year-old Indiana Jones, portrayed by George Hall in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, which ran on TV from 1992 to 1993. But while those episodes didn't have Harrison Ford (save for one) they still heavily centered on the character he helped create — he wasn't regulated to second-fiddle status.

For fans, then, the issue leading up to the release of Crystal Skull is whether or not Indy without Indy is still Indy — the reasonable assumption being that a Mutt film is only as strong as Mutt himself.

Is Mutt a good enough character to take center stage? LaBeouf said it's up to the fans, who will ultimately choose the fate of Indiana Jones with their reception of Crystal Skull. Choose ... wisely.

"Mutt's pretty wild [but] it's all about what the public feels," LaBeouf said. "I know if it's received well, that's a pretty definite indicator. If it's received well, I don't imagine they would stop making them."

"I don't think a Mutt spin-off would be as big as Indiana Jones," he added, coyly. "[But] fingers crossed!"

Ultimately, I think Spielberg is going to be the ultimate decider in the direction of the franchise (and if there will be further films).

Harrison has repeatedly said he'd love to do another Indy. (after this one)

I think all three would have to agree on what comes next. The B.O. for this will pretty much seal the deal IMO.

The box office for KOTCS will not be an issue. It would have to be a total dud for that to affect the financial stability of the franchise going forward.

But you're right, The Big Three would have to agree. Lucas can come up with all the hair-brained ideas he wants, but if Spielberg and Ford are not onboard it'll be no bigger than another "Young Indy" and probably set for television, at best. Technically and legally, Lucas can do as he wishes... but I seriously doubt he would risk his lifelong friendship with Spielberg over a Shia LeBeouf vehicle.

Spielberg and Ford will have a say in whatever happens.

Thats the good thing really. The three of them HAVE to agree for it to really have any legs. If it was just Lucas by himself I would be scared.

I just stopped by The Raven (theRaider.net forums) to see what those folks were saying about this. Big mistake. My gawd, what a bunch of irrational tossers (both the ones who hate and blindly defend this idea).

It certainly could work. But taking a franchise into uncharted territory is risky and needs a deft hand to pull it off. No qualms about Speilberg or Ford. The script is the big question mark. It's tricky but reducing Indy's screen time a bit and upping Mutt's without too much distraction can be done and still achieve a great film. I was discussing it over lunch with some people today and we all agreed that an action scene with Indy ala the Radiers idol hunt at the start, followed by a 30 minute or so Mutt quest to find Indy, then rescuing him and the duo continuing on for the rest of the adventure would be the best route to take. There'd have to be a love interest along the way and it would prolly be for Mutt and that could definitely get lame quickly if not handled well. But it could also open the door for the return of Sallah with Mutt meeting him so that'd be cool.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I think Labeouf is pretty talented. My fiance got me to watch the movie Holes and I've liked him ever since.
But, having said that, I would much rather see Ford keep at it since he's obviously game for it. I think his age adds to the appeal of the character - the vulnerability and humanity, the underdog qualities. At least from what I've seen (which admittedly isn't much since I'm trying to stay clear of spoilers).

I hope they don't ruin the Indiana Jones franchise...one stupid sequel could be costly.....

I hope they don't ruin the Indiana Jones franchise...one stupid sequel could be costly.....

How so? That it would fail to make money? That people would no longer respect Ford, Spielberg or Lucas?

Back