LOTR on HD-DVD or Blu-ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone heard if any of the movies are going to be released in this format soon??

Please post if you heard anything

I haven't heard a word. And, I stay on top on this daily pretty much.

:eek:

Apparently New Line tested the encode on the theatrical cut of FOTR (i.e., shortest among all possible versions) earlier this year, and found out that it could fit on HD DVD (which is a 30 gig format). Mind, this was before the huge push for lossless (although compressed) audio across the board, so it's possible that the encode was optimised for your regular lossy Dolby or DTS audio, leaving more space for the video. At that time, it was hotly contended that the 30 gig isn't enough for any of the extended cuts, especially ROTK; and the popular perception is that the new formats, with their vastly increased storage space, ought to end the splitting of the movies across two disks.

(This argument, btw, is utterly invalid -- full HD picture is six times larger than your regular DVD picture, and it's progressive, while none of the new formats are in themselves six times larger than your regular DVD-9. Actually, double-layer Blu-ray is somewhat close at 50 gig, but then you're just approaching equality with different initial factors. The answer seems to be in the newer video codecs -- DVD uses MPEG-2, while the new formats use VC-1 [rebadged WMV] and MPEG-4 [AVC], which are more efficient. But both are still improving, and aren't ready to squeeze ROTK EE on even a BD-50 disc.)

The larger issue, of course, is that of the popularity of the new formats, and the ongoing format war. New Line cinema entered the hi-def arena only last month, with their first release, Hairspray, being a Blu-ray exclusive for the moment (Blu-ray is region-coded, and as the film still plays in overseas territories, this enables them not to impinge on foreign distributors' release plans). In fact, all of New Line's releases are temporarily Blu-ray exclusive, except for their sole "catalog" release, Pan's Labyrinth (out next week), which is coming out in both formats simultaneously.

Now, Blu-ray owners routinely criticize New Line's parent company, Warner, for encoding their films for the lower-capacity and lower-bandwidth HD DVD, and porting over the result to Blu-ray, therefore not utilizing the format's full potential. (Notwithstanding the fact that Warner have some of the best encoders in the business.) This approach has been appropriated by New Line as well. This is important for the eventual LOTR encode inasmuch as it will be done by professionals trained to squeeze the maximum out of the available parameters.

Of course, the biggest reason LOTR (and SW) aren't out in hi-def is the format war and its impact on consumer uncertainty when it comes to adoption of the new media. And these kinds of flagship titles just won't be released until the format(s) mature to a certain point. Two things are happening now that might help out: first, both Blu-ray and HD DVD now offer players at under $300, and both now offer interactivity and visual commentary options; and second, it is being rumored that Warner (and therefore New Line as well) will choose just one format in the next month or so, thereby tipping the scales to one and dedicating all their efforts to that format. Word on the street is that it will be Blu-ray.

But even if this comes to happen, the format war will continue to rage, and won't reach the saturation point that makes New Line just release LOTR in the next six months. Actually, even if Warner/New Line go exclusively to the Blu side next year, I don't see them releasing LOTR before this time next year -- by which time the format ought to offer 100 gig discs, finally giving the films enough breathing space to truly look stunning in high definition.

Sorry for the short answer, I'm very busy at the moment. :monkey3

Seretur ... short answer!!! that is more information than I could ever understand ... but its very welcome. I know next to nothing about the technical stuff but I feel that until Jackson has time to really make such a release a special event, its not going to happen. And right now he is pretty busy.

That's another way to put it, yes. :D

I do have a hunch we won't have to wait for LOTR on (one or both) high-def formats as long as we did with, say, SW on DVD. Right now, it's mostly a matter of studio politics and market domination: and with DVD sales in decline, high-def is the studios' last major hope of increasing home video revenues.

Again, best bet seems late 2008.

...Now, Blu-ray owners routinely criticize New Line's parent company, Warner, for encoding their films for the lower-capacity and lower-bandwidth HD DVD, and porting over the result to Blu-ray, therefore not utilizing the format's full potential...

Didn't the HD-DVD camp just announce a 51 gig disc in the pipeline, thereby rendering the above conflict moot? Also, do you really think 100 gig discs are only one year away? From what I've read, Blu-Ray's 50 gig discs are already more expensive to produce than HD-DVD's 51 gig competition, I can't see 100 gig discs being a cost effective new standard quite that soon, at least not without a need for new hardware to go with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right about the main issue (that of LOTR's likelihood to show up in HDM any time soon), but I'm just not sure the source of the delay is necessarily a storage issue, especially since the worst case scenario-- including a 2nd disc-- is something studios still see as a positive thing. I tend to believe adding a 2nd disc would be embraced by studios as it adds a good deal of perceived value for very little cost. I believe the head of Paramount recently stated this exact point shortly after their exclusive commitment to HD-DVD.

I just hope when they do come out they don't pull the old "Theatrcial release first" and "Extended cuts" a year later crap. I have no plans at all to buy the theatrical versions.

I just hope when they do come out they don't pull the old "Theatrcial release first" and "Extended cuts" a year later crap. I have no plans at all to buy the theatrical versions.

I wouldn't even consider buying the theatrical versions. I sold each of mine when the extended versions were released.

I wouldn't even consider buying the theatrical versions. I sold each of mine when the extended versions were released.

I don't think I could even stand watching the theatrcial versiona anymore. When they were on TV ther other day in HD I didn't watch because right away I noticed stuff cut out and I lost interest.

production costs will determine the format war

like vhs vs betamax, betamax was the superior format but vhs won due to equipment & production costs

IMO

production costs will determine the format war

like vhs vs betamax, betamax was the superior format but vhs won due to equipment & production costs

IMO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bluray has the BOOMSHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The determining factor is if you can squeeze the EE into one disc. As it is, even Spiderman in BD and the POTC BD movies came in 2 discs. Potentially, one could already squeeze a 3 hour movie into either BD or HD, and spin the supplements into another separate disc. So, the ability to do it is already there I believe. I'm okay if it gets released either way. About the only reason I'd go with HD is because it's Picture-in-Picture capability is mature and proven. Blu-Ray just came out with it, and the jury's out if it can handle the same way as HD. Not to mention web-based content.

At this point I would expect a release in both formats. But I'd really like the extended edition, since I haven't gotten that version yet on regular DVD I have to get the Extended on High-Def. Right now I'd want it on HD-DVD since that's the player I have, and I'm fairly certain that they could fit the movies on the disc, but that's all they'd be able to fit. Unless they can get the new HD-DVD 51GB discs into production in time. Although luckily the larger discs are still compatible with the players so at most they would need a firmware upgrade.

As far as Blu-Ray goes, they are slow on the features, plus Sony is the devil, but if it is released as a Blu-Ray exclusive then I'll buy a Blu-Ray player. Are the larger Blu-Ray 100GB discs compatible with the current players?

I'll buy both versions of each movie (hopefully they'll all be packaged together) but I find the theatrical FOTR to be superior to the EE. I do prefer the EE for the other two films.

Since I just bought an HD-DVD player I can almost guarantee it will be released on Blu-ray.

Back