Longest wait to open a figure.....why?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
So which figure took the longest to open? Or is it STILL in the box awaiting it?s day?

Why did it take so long?

I still have 3 figures I bought that I have not opened.

Not because I don?t want it like them, just lack the time to dedicate to the process of opening and displaying them. I have a bit of a rule that I require a few uninterrupted hours to open, enjoy, pose and add new figures to my display areas.

Currently have a figure that is 1and 1/2 years old in the box , waiting to open. Also another 2 over a year in my possession. Funny thing is , I got a new figure 3 weeks ago, and chose to open that before the older ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to open right away in the event that the figure could be defective. Don't want to take the chance that when I finally open for the first time and something is wrong with it out of the box, yet the return/exchange window is long gone. It would suck to have to pay more for a second one or to try to find replacement parts on eBay or part out sites.

Probably an hour tops? Been collecting for almost 20 years, I could never have the monk-like patience some people do leaving their figures unopened for weeks or months. I spend a lot of money and emotional investment so I will always unbox them immediately no matter how busy I am. :cuckoo:

Does opening the box to check for defects but not removing the figure count?

If so, my Sideshow Tusken Raider is still in its box from 2012 -- 10 years ago to the month.

Usually, it's something like: where did I get two of these? When I work too many hours and forget I got one already. Then it gets buried on storage.

So which figure took the longest to open? Or is it STILL in the box awaiting it?s day?

Why did it take so long?

Ultimate Soldier T-Gore

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...-scale_1_b0566b047f30456ca30309767e3e8824.jpg

^ That's a stock image, it's not a picture of mine, but you get the idea. These were on the shelf of Toys R Us back in like 2000. I got one using combined gift cards. Not long after, I picked up most of his loose parts in trades, rebuilt him piecemeal and just never opened it. Over the years, I picked up several loose complete ones as add ins in larger trades, so I always had one to display in some fashion. His original MSRP was 30 dollars.

Going on close to 23 years, my original has never been opened. It's my favorite set out of all of the old TUS lines. I just stacked it and stored it with all my other 1/6th and basically forgot about it

The early days of the hobby were really exciting. It was a fun time. I know T-Gore looks rudimentary now, but this was really cutting edge and innovative for it's era

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/811-kBUxJ4L.jpg

^ There's the TUS first released weapons carded set. That came out in 1999-ish, so that gives you a relative idea of where 1/6th was in terms of overall production quality at the time. T-Gore was a huge leap forward in terms of the weapons, the headsculpt, the integrated tattoos on his body, the craftsmanship of his clothing, and he had the first set of Doc Marten boots in 1/6th. The removable magazines on his pistol were also not common for that timeline.

And the world was far less PC, it was just really fun to collect. Now the hobby is kind of uptight and has the weight of anything that is heavily branded to the point of excess.

When I started collecting I couldn't believe all the people who still had their figures boxed.

I've got at least 8 unopened boxes now, most of them are the OT Star Wars heroes. DX11 only made it out of its box a couple months back.

I have a few figures that I've never opened yet, and I'm waiting until I have more display space. That way if I change my mind and they get culled, I can sell them as new.

I probably should mention that any unopened items I had were most likely just bodies for customization and not complete figures unless they were not 1/6.

Small figures used to be inexpensive.

Nope. I'm like a kid at Christmas when something pops up at my door. Hell! I sold a kidney and a few other vital organs for this stuff, so excuse me if I get a bit exited when it rocks up at my door.

I normally open up new figures right when I receive them. Maybe later that same day if I’m busy or working or whatever.

There are figures that I don’t have on display due to lack of shelf space but everything I have has been opened at least once.

Back