Long term storage in detolfs, viable or bad idea?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A-dev, there should be some home improvement hardware stores in your area that carry LED room bulbs.

Halogen, incandescent and fluorescent are really bad for our figures.

Thanks. I definitely want to sort this out. Everything I have is exposed to dust and this harmful form of light but, at this time, I'm not in a position to get proper shelves and display cabinets with UV-stopping protective films and so on. If I can at least sort out the primary room light I'll be content for now. I'm none too happy about the damage it has already done on my T-1000s and that's just what I happened to have noticed because I had new examples to compare to my older ones. I wonder if I bought another Reeve Superman would I notice that the colours have faded on my current one. :gah:

Also I think dark navy and dark blue colored clothing tends to fade more noticeable than some other colors. My blue and navy sweaters and cotton jackets have sun fade and areas where the sun didnt touch, its still original color.

As has been pointed out, light is a major factor in the degradation of our collectables. Some other things to be wary of, wash your hands before handling or wear gloves. The sweat we secrete is acidic and will damage your fabrics and paintwork. Same goes with dust (human skin cells), dust often and this will aid in preservation. Air flow and maintaining a consistent relative humidity is also important. You can get equipment and monitors very cheaply on the internet, at your pet shop or horticultural retailer to achieve this.

My suggestion would be avoid direct sunlight and direct interior light. I have seen some display with the lights in the Detolf installed. While I don't have the evidence to support it , I don't think that is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've had my home windows tinted, which cuts uv by 99% and gives me more freedom to display at will, my only issue with detolfs is the gaps which let dust in, but I can buy some clear tubing to go in those gaps, red tint is your biggest risk factor, leave something red in sunlight for a few weeks and it will be orange or even yellow within no time.

My collection is in my above ground basement/garage. Its always dark, cool in the winter and moist in the summer, but I run a dehumidifier during the warm months to keep things dry. I only go down there when I want to admire my collection, or exercise. And judging from my pants size I don't go down there enough.

Back