"Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old... my kin"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love watching the progress. Very cool seeing things take shape from a block of stone to a final statue. Keep it up!!

OH MY GOD, All I can say is WOW. How on earth do you even start to work out where to chop and chisel away. One slight mistake and your buggered.

AMAZING work.

OH MY GOD, All I can say is WOW. How on earth do you even start to work out where to chop and chisel away. One slight mistake and your buggered.

AMAZING work.

Thanks for the compliments.:eek:

I use the bookend set of the Argonath as reference material. Furthermore I use a ruler to measure out where everything should go. Unfortunately, sometimes you slip or a piece of stone just crumbles off, and then you have to find a way of covering it up, hehe. It's a slow process but I'm trying to think of what an amazing result it'll be eventually. ;)

And then to think that after this one I need to make another one! :duh

This is my first real look at the customs threads and ill be a regular for sure if this is the quality thats on display.:)

Awesome Poly :cool: u have definately discovered a hidden talent within yourself.

I'm sure the finished product will be well worth the time and effort you have put into it.So Pol do u come from a trade background or are u just one of those multi talented individuals? :D

This is my first real look at the customs threads and ill be a regular for sure if this is the quality thats on display.:)

Awesome Poly :cool: u have definately discovered a hidden talent within yourself.

I'm sure the finished product will be well worth the time and effort you have put into it.So Pol do u come from a trade background or are u just one of those multi talented individuals? :D

Haha, my father is a retired city council employee and my mother worked most of her life in a shop. So no trade background. But I've always liked being creative; I started acting at a young age (7yo), I enjoy singing, playing the guitar and the piano, composing songs, designing websites and I always enjoyed drawing. I took a small course for painting about a year ago but I never quite took the time to keep doing it. I started sculpting in stone about 3 years ago and even though it's always a slow process, I enjoy it a lot. I take my time and work on it whenever I want. It's always very cool to see what the final result is. I was surprised how well the Gates of Moria came out once it was finished and I still enjoy the result every day. :D

A ridiculous combination of skill and diligence. :clap Very, very admirable. I am amazed and more than a little envious of your ability.

Another update on the first page. Worked on the arm with the sword some more, including the sword itself.

Because some people asked me what kind of tools I used, here's a picture of a few of them. Of course I use other sizes of files, and some have a slightly different shape. The heavy thing on the right is a sort of hammer to use on a chisel (lying on the left of the "hammer").
tools.jpg

Always like veiwing your thread polylord. NIce to see the tools of the trade.

Thanks, I'm happy to see that it's finally starting to look like the statue, with the arm holding the sword like that. I can't wait for it to be finished, although there is still a lot of work to be done (kinda "scared" about working on the face, so many details there! :(). But we'll see how it goes. :D

You gonna start working on the non statue bits ?

Make it look more like the book end ? I guess cause theres no fine detail in that area it will be less scary to do ?

Im also guessing that will allow you to come at the other parts with more accuracy ?

Anyhow mega impressed with your work and commitment to it so far

You gonna start working on the non statue bits ?

Make it look more like the book end ? I guess cause theres no fine detail in that area it will be less scary to do ?

Im also guessing that will allow you to come at the other parts with more accuracy ?

Anyhow mega impressed with your work and commitment to it so far

No, the statue itself isn't finished yet. I'm gonna work on the statue til it's completely finished before starting on the "crumbly rock parts". After that's done, I'm gonna work out the finer details on the foot, the face, the hand holding the sword and the extended hand.

The crumbly rock parts are indeed a bit easier to do because of their lack of detail, but also a bit scary because it involves some chopping with a chisel and a special hammer with a ribbly head. Hitting too hard and big chunks will break off, so it has to be done with care.

This is gonna look sweet once finished!!
And I thought you had given up since we had no update on it for so long! :D

Give up?? Never! :lol

No it's just that I've been very busy lately with work and several performances by our acting group. And to use the words from the movie Galaxy Quest: "Never give up.... never surrender!" :D

Another update. Worked on the arm holding the sword, and the part of the robe above that. The folds in the robe in this part are very hard to get just right. It's not completely done yet, but I'm satisfied about how it looks so far.

Pictures in the first post.:cool:

I have been following this thread since you posted it and I'm continuously amazed by your level of skill and patience (52 hours :google).

Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to see more updates!!

Back