Let's help out the Ask Sideshow questions!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I think it's great that SSC has started this feature on the website and newsletter to answer questions from collectors. But it seems the questions are all the same thing - 'will you be doing this character', "why don't you do this license." They're great about answering these questions, but for the most part the answer is just "there are no plans at this time" type of thing.

So let's help improve the Ask Sideshow questions - there must be some questions about how things work behind the scenes that people are dying to know.

For example, some people have been vocal about telling Sideshow to get rid of the 'doll dot'. So why don't we ask Sideshow - "What is the reasoning behind continuing to use the catchlight in the eyes of 1/6th figures when all other high end 1/6 manufacturers have gone with the more realistic look and stopped using it?"

So post in this thread all your "Ask Sideshow" questions - if they're dumb questions that have been answered or are variations of "will you be doing..." I'll go ahead and answer them myself.

If they're decent questions we'll submit them to Sideshow, and perhaps get our own special "Ask Sideshow" Freak edition.

I'll start with the answers - "No, there aren't plans to make (Bond, hobbits, armored Kurgans) at this time."

I'm curious about whether or not we'll be seeing more figures utilizing the new short body developed with HT (and so far only seen on the Hobbits). I'm surprised that in the nearly 2 years since it was announced we've only seen Frodo and Sam use it.

What is the estimated pace of the Disney Premium Format line once it gets going? 2 a year, 4 a year? There are so many properties involved that it seems we might have to wait a really long time to see some of our favorite characters made. But if the pace is quick, then the wait won't be so bad.

Hot Toys paint apps no longer use a white dot in the eye to simulate a reflection and instead rely on the gloss to natural effect and a much more realistic paint job is achieved as a result. Since many collectors find this painted dot in the eye superfluous (considering SS standard paint apps already use a gloss on the eyes to capture the light) will Sideshow stop painting the "doll dot" and let the gloss naturally capture the light?

Ok...I'll toss one in the ring.

Since developing the new pro and armored bodies, you've had an opportunity to see it in full production across several lines. Is SSC generally happy with how it turned out? Are there any possible tweaks that you are considering in the future? I would suggest a small redevelopement of the ankle joint to one more universal..other than that, I think its off to a pretty good start!

any plans on improving the EU warehouse. like faster shipping so we get stuff not long after the us :tap :lol

Um...do you really think those are questions that people send in? I just assumed Sideshow made them up themselves.

No. I have had a few questions I submitted answered (which they quoted verbatim).

I think the doll dot is also on the PF's.

And i would like to know why they don't use acrylic eyes or something on life-size busts?

Um...do you really think those are questions that people send in? I just assumed Sideshow made them up themselves.

Yes, the questions are all real and they are trying to answer all that come in, but it would be a more interesting feature if it weren't the same things over and over again.

I feel that Sideshow is answering more openly now than before. Before, they would beat around the bush and you have to read between the lines b.s.

I feel that Sideshow is answering more openly now than before. Before, they would beat around the bush and you have to read between the lines b.s.

They weren't very open about the question of paint apps. quality in the latest "Ask Sideshow." They tap danced around that one like Gregory Hines. :lol

as far as paint apps go .....
"... How do you handle bad paint apps and flaws that are obviously approved by a QC person and packed up and shipped anyway? What are the repercussions to them for doing so. Does Sideshow just have to eat the replacement cost or is that lost profit also the responsibility of the factory as it should be?"

For example, some people have been vocal about telling Sideshow to get rid of the 'doll dot'. So why don't we ask Sideshow - "What is the reasoning behind continuing to use the catchlight in the eyes of 1/6th figures when all other high end 1/6 manufacturers have gone with the more realistic look and stopped using it?"

DABMK.jpg

So the questions haven't been as repetitive, but let's really get into it - what you do you want to know (that doesn't involve which licenses and which characters they might or might not do).

How about:

If we are moving away from the Buck body can we expect completely new hand sculpts for the SW line? I am especially hoping for new and improved open/"force weilding" hands, both left and right.

How about with all due respect and only an earnest ear:

How exactly does the waitlist system work? In particular, since many Sideshow collectors use the "Sideshow Freaks" message board and sometimes post their waitlist times received from Sideshow for a particular piece, what could possibly cause a customer with a much later waitlist time-stamp to receive a conversion to a T order well before, or even instead of, another customer with an earlier time-stamp?

Of course I am referring to the PZ PF EX situation, which may or may not be the only time this situation has presented itself. But I'm definitely interested, in the interest of fairness.

:confused:

Back