Left 4 Dead 2 boycott and unsavory reactions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it too soon for Left 4 Dead 2?

• No

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
I can't think of a FPS that they actually added an entire new campaign mode just so they didn't have to come out with a new game.

They are doing it for Gears 2. They are coming out with a new campaign chapter later this summer.
Fallout 3 got campaign add ons. Oblivion got Shivering Isles. Tomb Raider: Underworld is getting campaign add ons. Mass Effect etc...the list goes on. So yeah game companies are doing this.
The DLC is a ripoff without a doubt, but they also provide game patches and bug fixes for free. DLC worth it's salt will extend the life of a game and keep people playing it. Gone were the days when you had to wait for the sequel to get the patches and bug fixes.
So yeah i think they are asking a lot for people to drop another 60 and not supporting the first game.

GTAIV isn't an FPS, but it is a good example of full campaigns (amounting to essentially a full game) being readily available as DLC. First, Rockstar put out GTAIV: Lost and Damned, which did not get a retail disc release. Next up is GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony, which will be packed with Lost and Damned on a retail disc as well as made available as DLC. Both games combined cost less than the full initial retail cost of the original GTAIV and probably offers more play time in total. And they're not considered sequels.

That's what Valve should have done.

I guess if you put it into perspective it goes like this. Valve F'd up, people got mad, Valve will do what it wants, people will get over it, Valve will make money, those people will buy the game anyway. It's as simple as that. The boycot is like the "don't buy gas for one day" concept. Several people will do it but the majority won't and it will be forgotten until it happens again.

Bingo. There is a lack of 4 player splitscreen games on XBOX 360 where you can campaign and not just multiplayer in that interface. L4D is a boring game if you play alone. The AI pretty can run the missions itself and you just follow along. When you play with 4 players and everyone is faulted and having to save each other and attack with strategy its great.

I'll be buying L4D2 simply for the 4 player splitscreen campaign option on day 1 and be playing without much concern of the boycotts.

Boycott?Are people THAT pissed about this?I loved the first game and the second one is not far away,im fine with it and don`t see the problem.

I can understand the frustration. Money can't be thrown around these days, some people invest money for a game that was very short and fairly light on content, and for Valve to announce a full priced sequel without carrying through with their promised content for the first game can be off-putting.

To everyone who has joined the boycott or thinking about joining the boycott are ^^^^ing whiny little ^^^^^es. U all feel like ur entitled to something, when ur not. Valve has spoiled the lot of u, to the point u have become ungreatful bratty little ingrates. Valve doesn't owe any of u one single thing. They are a company that makes games in order to make money. I hope u piss off valve enough to where they finally won't do anything to appease their audience. To me L4D was great. Bring on L4D 2 and many more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's DLC at best.

People have a good reason to be pissed. Especially with talk of the L4D campaigns being usuable with L4D2 (hopefully ONLY if you have the first).

New characters, campaigns, guns (unlockables) achievements... these were promised for L4D. Now you have to buy another game to get them when it's not unreasonable for them to come out for the first.

What's going to happen to the first game? Will we get anything worthwhile for it?

Last edited:
people need to stop ^^^^^ing, because ur ignorance is embarassing. Valve gave a statement that L4D will still get support. L4D 2 is a completely different story line and is MORE game. Valve hasn't made a disappointing game, but all u ^^^^^heads are villianizing them before u know anything about it. And im sure the same people ^^^^^ing are the same morons that buy the same regurgitated madden game every year. Complain about something that matters in this world or STFU!

people need to stop ^^^^^ing, because ur ignorance is embarassing. Valve gave a statement that L4D will still get support. L4D 2 is a completely different story line and is MORE game. Valve hasn't made a disappointing game, but all u ^^^^^heads are villianizing them before u know anything about it. And im sure the same people ^^^^^ing are the same morons that buy the same regurgitated madden game every year. Complain about something that matters in this world or STFU!

I don't want to get in the way of your angry rant, but can you post a source or link to what you said above about Valve giving a statement? I will post it in the opening post of this thread.

To everyone who has joined the boycott or thinking about joining the boycott are ^^^^ing whiny little ^^^^^es. U all feel like ur entitled to something, when ur not. Valve has spoiled the lot of u, to the point u have become ungreatful bratty little ingrates. Valve doesn't owe any of u one single thing. They are a company that makes games in order to make money. I hope u piss off valve enough to where they finally won't do anything to appease their audience. To me L4D was great. Bring on L4D 2 and many more to come.

Actually we are entitled to something. They make money by making games, but that same money comes from us the consumers. If we get pissed off then Valve will stop making money. So yeah i would say they do owe us something. That being "our money's worth". Look what happened to the ShadowRun game. Enough people were pissed about that game that poof it is no more. So please save your insults and vulgarity, i don't know you but there are those here that don't take to kindly to that (just a little heads up). Oh and no i am not joining the boycot, will probably buy L4D2 and I don't buy madden games every year (i think i just got madden 08 for 8 bucks).

And on a side note. Money matters in this world so i am complaining about that. Now I will as you so eloquently put STFU.

Dude, you need to calm down. Do you have stock in Valve? :rolleyes:

I had a blast playing LFD but Hitler does have a point. Still if they dont release new stuff for the first and just release a second I'll still buy it regardless.

This was reported earlier today on Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/5286185/valve-responds-to-left-4-dead-2-boycott-vows-support-for-original

Valve promises ongoing content for the original L4D. A bit late to announce that, but I'm thinking the boycott group is going to slim a bit after hearing this news.

There is one small caveot to this announcment. Notice he said they will continue support and release mod tools for L4D1, that means they will support PC only. Let us not be fooled. He was very careful not to specify which platform they were supporting. 360 owners will most likely get shafted. He also mentioned how they still support Half life 2.... on PC not the 360.

I've always liked Adam Sessler. He's funny and very knowledgeable when it comes to games - both on the industry side and from the view of the average gamer - but he doesn't make much of a point in that video. He compares this situation to Nintendo's decision to release Super Mario Galaxy 2, which isn't exactly a fair comparison considering the first Super Mario Galaxy was a full package in terms of content and the original and it's sequel is roughly 2-3 years apart in release date.

Now, I'm impartial to either side of this controversy, but I can see how the boycott side could be frustrated. It's the principle of value proposition. Left 4 Dead is not a package bursting with content. Certainly it isn't $50-$60 worth and I'd be pressed to hear anyone else argue otherwise. I can understand the frustration, even if I don't particularly agree with it. It isn't baseless.

Back