Krycek standard edition figure CANCELLED

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think I'd be satisfied with Skinner, the Lone Gunmen and Reyes (and maybe Mr. X and Jeffrey Spender with interchangable "Breather" head like 006), but I'll support this line as long as it lasts.

GuruAskew said:
I personally think I'd be satisfied with Skinner, the Lone Gunmen and Reyes (and maybe Mr. X and Jeffrey Spender with interchangable "Breather" head like 006), but I'll support this line as long as it lasts.

I'll also support the line as long as it goes on. I'd like to see all of those characters and more, but I think Skinner is probably the most essential. Hopefully they'll at least make him.

If we get Skinner, the Lone Gunmen, and an Alien I'm fine. I'd rather have Skinner and the Alien though. The Gunmen rock though they are not "a must" before the line dies.

Dave said it best...

... they are not in this business just to make their customers happy no matter how much they would like to do that. They have to consider the bottom line to keep the company in business in the first place. Which would you rather have: a completed line of X-Files or POTA and no more Sideshow, or for Sideshow to stay in business and kill the lines that just aren't selling?

For that matter, how often does any collectibles company ever finish something? I've been a collector of various things for about 35 years now, and it is really few and far between on lines that come to completion! They are usually smaller lines though or very, very popular. For example, in everyone's opinion, has Kenner or Hasbro done a complete line of Star Wars figures? I didn't think so... :rolleyes:

With the exception of a few characters like Comander Cody in the RotS line I would say Hasbro has made a pretty complete line. If they made Cody and ended the SW line all together (yeah right) I wouldn't feel there was any gap that needed filling. Would I like more though, yes.

Is this cancellation really that big of a surprise?? :confused:

I couldn't believe that SS even concidered making a Krycek figure. No offense to any X-Files fans but there just isn't any appeal to this character. Sure X-Files fans would want this figure but nobody else would. There just isn't anything that would make non-X-files want to buy this figure. Let's face it, he's just a plain clothes guy.

With Buffy and some of the other lines, the characters are a little more "unique." For example, somebody who doesn't like buffy might pick up a Spike or Angel figure just because they vampires. I know a few Uni Monsters fans bought Der Kinerstood just because they thought he was a cool monster. Krycek just doesn't have any "cross over appeal."

Bonehead15 said:
Is this cancellation really that big of a surprise?? :confused:

I couldn't believe that SS even concidered making a Krycek figure. No offense to any X-Files fans but there just isn't any appeal to this character. Sure X-Files fans would want this figure but nobody else would. There just isn't anything that would make non-X-files want to buy this figure. Let's face it, he's just a plain clothes guy.

With Buffy and some of the other lines, the characters are a little more "unique." For example, somebody who doesn't like buffy might pick up a Spike or Angel figure just because they vampires. I know a few Uni Monsters fans bought Der Kinerstood just because they thought he was a cool monster. Krycek just doesn't have any "cross over appeal."

:google
Sooo, by that reasoning, we don't need Giles or Skinner and should not have gotten Oz, Zander, Duncan, Conner, Frank Black, the Cigarette Smoking Man.....
Afterall, they're just plain clothes guys too. Krycek's involvement in the X-files is at least as important as Skinner [who we should definitely be able to get!!] and more important than most of the aliens/creatures that somepeople have wanted.
And as for no one outside of X-files fans wanting him, well, again, by that reasoning we shouldn't have gotten Mulder or Scully either. Out of all of Sideshow's human sculpts I would think Krycek up at the top with the most "out of genre" use as he looks as if he could play a secret agent, or a spec-ops, or an astronaut...... He surely has more "cross over appeal" than Oz or Zander [can't see either of them as soldiers or astronauts] and Frank Black's head size makes him rather difficult to want to use as anything other than what he is.

I couldn't believe that SS even concidered making a Krycek figure. No offense to any X-Files fans but there just isn't any appeal to this character.
WOW! :google I totally agree with what you just said Ironman.

Supposedly he's going to have or was intended to have an action feature where the eyes turned black. Don't know if that's still happening, but a unique feature might have helped sell him to the non-die hard XPhiles.

I just thought of something. Could the reason we haven't seen big characters like Skinner or Giles made is because they have glasses? I don't think Sideshow has done a figure with normal glasses yet. They've done sunglasses though. I wonder if this is an issue for them or just a coinsidence.

Engineering problems to stall some things. The glasses on Duncan and Auto Scully work fantastic though. I doubt this is a hold up.

However just seeing how the glasses on DST's Wesley look is enough to make you appreciate how difficult this can be.

screamingmetal said:
It doesn't look good. Krycek was a minor character compared to other characters, and many didn't like the way the likeness came out. He wasn't in as much demand. That could be seen as a reason why he isn't selling.
However, The Cigarette Smoking Man was one that was a major character and had no likeness issues, he too is having a hard time selling. There just doesn't seem to be enough demand for X-Files figures.
I'd hate to see the line end before we get Reyes, Skinner, The Lone Gunmen, Deep throat, Flukeman and a Gray Alien. :crying

Good points. As a fan I can't completely step out, but one thing I thought about CSM is that the regular version should have come with a trenchcoat. The tan coat is great, and could have still been the Exclusive, but the standard should have come with like a dark gray trenchcoat.

As pretty much a non-collector of 1/6 scale figures, to me the more clothes the better to disguise the skinny Barbie-looking bodies. Mulder should have come with a trenchcoat too!

Also about CSM is that he doesn't sell on his own. No one wants a CSM figure by himself. They would want him to go along with Mulder and Scully yes, but not by himself. In general, the collector consensus was that Mulder was a very disappointing figure, and Scully was OK to good. Sales were apparently strong enough on Mulder and Scully to warrant second versions, but remember that aside from the laughable Barbie doll versions and the odd McFarlane figures, X-Files fans have had nothing else.

That means that die-hard fans will automatically buy Mulder and Scully just to have them, and won't be as picky as the casual buyer. Well, they will still be picky, but they'll still buy. Casual collectors don't "need" them, so they won't buy unless they're great.

So Krycek has the same CSM problems, and he's even less high-profile than CSM story-wise, and not as iconic to look at. Then you add in the bland sculpt with a very questionable likeness (well, to be fair it could be bad angles/pics), and that's not a good scenario.

I myself am still very much on the fence as to whether I want Krycek or not. I definitely want to support the line to get more figures, but I can't honestly say I'll buy them or not until I see them. I really want a Skinner, but maybe not if he's going to look as "off" as Krycek or as poorly painted as Mulder and Frank Black, see what I mean?

I know we shouldn't be bribed into buying stuff, but like if we saw an awesome Skinner sculpt with the disclaimer of "may not come out unless other stock sells" it may help, LOL.

Ok, ***SIDESHOW TAKE NOTE!!!***
I don't think the sculpt is as far off as others seem to. I know as well as any that the photos can make or break the early desire for a figure, and that one's opinion might change once that figure is in hand, but Krycek looks pretty dead on to me.
What is a deterrent to purchasing some of these figures is the $45 pricepoint. And with the Sideshow exclusive being all thats left for him, well....some of us that may have really wanted him may find him out of range. Granted, Krycek comes with a few more accessories than some others, but its still over $50 a figure when you add in shipping. I, for one, have been waiting for Krycek and Skinner, but was hoping to get them from the secondary sources at a more reasonable price. Having to buy direct requires my tax rebate to come in first. :D
I hope this cancellation does not pave the way for future ones where Sideshow can sell certain figures [without any variations available] solely thru their own site. Unless, of course, they start parting out their figures and allow for us to pick up the random nude figure or accessory. [hint, hint]

I disagree in part about the pricepoint.

If we were offered a limited to 500 web exclusive Skinner that was as good as CSM, or at least as good as Doggett even, I'd throw down up to $60 to get him.

But until I see better pictures or hear a review from someone that has him in-hand, I'm not sure I'd pay even $30 for that Krycek.

Back