Kothoga from The Relic interest thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azurepred

It's so fluffy!!!
Reaction score
I know there's a 1/12 kit out there and a very rare, limited 4ft kit was made, but does anyone else besides me want this big, bad motha? :rock. I just saw the movie again today, it's been awhile and it's such a underrated movie and monster.

179307_177866745582334_130940650274944_329231_388014_n.jpg

Relic1.jpg

306830_246949425340732_130940650274944_611814_1719481519_n.jpg

I disagree about the movie..I thought it was pretty bad.

But I LOVE the Kothoga design, and would definitely take a collectible of it..

I loved the movie. The Kothoga was such a great concept. I don't know if it would sell well however.

The monster design for the movie was really awesome. The novel is one of my favorites. The movie was pretty decent, but I read the book first so it was unable to live up to my high expectations for it.

I really liked the movie, so I think I'll need to dig up the original book!
I know a sequel novel was recently (within a year or so) written too, does anyone know if that was that any good?

Relic came out in 1995 and the sequel, Reliquary, came out in 1997. The best character from the book, Special Agent Pendergast, isn't in the movie unfortunately. He's been featured in a series of novels after Relic and Reliquary by the same authors who wrote those novels.

Relic came out in 1995 and the sequel, Reliquary, came out in 1997. The best character from the book, Special Agent Pendergast, isn't in the movie unfortunately. He's been featured in a series of novels after Relic and Reliquary by the same authors who wrote those novels.

Cool to know. Thanks! Wow, I was off about the timing of the sequel book!

I loved the movie. The Kothoga was such a great concept. I don't know if it would sell well however.

if SS would have made this with SWS back in the day, I think it could've done as well as Pumkinhead did. I think a 2-3ft Kothoga could sell descently, prolly less then 500 though.

Yeah i was looking to pick up kothoga bout 2 years ago. There was a large resin kit available on ebay back then. Some guy was selling the kit from mexico. Didn't end up buying it though. Would make a very nice maquette for sure.

Just on the topic of great creatures in crap movies dunno if anyone seen the original design for godzilla the american movie. The creature stan designed orginally(pic below) would have been awesome in that movie rather then the giant iguana. Why they went with the latter cgi design over stans creation i've no idea.

g94a.jpg

polls_GodzillaStanWinston1994b_5824_1544_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

I'd imagine If someone made a maquette of Kothoga it would sell quick. Surprised nobody has. Kothoga, godzilla and pumpkinhead. 3 maquettes worth buying.

Last edited:
...They went with the incredibly unique, realistic, and badass Godzilla design because they wanted to make all of the Japanese version fanboys QQ about it for decades.

godzilla-cukr.jpg

But I do love that Stan Winston design.

Personally I love all of the creatures coming from SWS. When I mean all, is all.

This one aint an exception, with Crash McCreery concept and the Stan Winston team implementing it you can never go wrong.

Looking at the drawing in the first post I knew instantly it was made by Crash. The guy is a true genius, he designed the JP dinosaurs, the Predator 2 head, and a bunch of another fantastic movie creature concepts.

Last edited:
Ask that to all the hundreds of Wolf fanboys... :panic:

To be honest I do like the movie on the whole.

Did I think parts of it could be improved? Yes, for sure.

But I still like the overall movie plot, the execution maybe not so much.

To be honest I do like the movie on the whole.

Did I think parts of it could be improved? Yes, for sure.

But I still like the overall movie plot, the execution maybe not so much.
Are you talking about AvP:R, or The Relic?

I did not like The Relic at all..I thought the story/idea was nice, but the movie was just crap.

As for AvP:R, I will always love the movie because it's A/P related...but it IS, a bad movie.

Are you talking about AvP:R, or The Relic?

I did not like The Relic at all..I thought the story/idea was nice, but the movie was just crap.

As for AvP:R, I will always love the movie because it's A/P related...but it IS, a bad movie.

Both actually.

I liked the fact that the natives showed that while they were backward, technology was not always superior. :lecture

Yep, I would like to purchase a well painted Kothoga statue. I have a resin kit but I don't think I could paint it like the movie.

Its a big creature, so I would prefer a statue no larger than 1/6 scale.

Back