Kodiak3D's customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodiak3d

Super Freak
Reaction score
Got out of customizing for a long time due to $$$, but I got a bit of a raise and I'm back in the thick of it! I had an old thread, but I decided to leave that one dead. I'm much happier with my newer work.

First, decided to upgrade my ESB triumvirate of Admiral Ozzel, Admiral Piett, and General Veers with Tarkin uniforms and DiD boots. I still need to repaint Piett's rank badge, but I'll get around to it sometime. Couldn't find the right buckle for Veers, so I modeled and 3D printed it myself.
cus_ESB3.jpg

Next up are my Death Star Troopers. It seems up in the air as to whether or not Hot Toys is going to get around to these guys or not, but I wanted a pair in my collection. Here they are alone and in a group shot. The outfits are some Imperial officer outfits I got on eBay from China and they're actually really nice. The belts, buckles, and boxes are from Enaud. Boots are DiD. The helmets are Hasbro. Gloves are Sideshow Darth Maul v1.
cus-DSTs.jpg
cus-Tarkin group.jpg

An Imperial Bridge Crewman (Hasbro TIE pilot jumpsuit and hat), ISB agent (Krennic uniform top, Hasbro pants and hat), and an Imperial Technician (Hasbro AT-ST driver jumpsuit and hat). Belts, buckles, and boxes by Enaud.
cus-ISB_techs.jpg

Finally, I have always been disappointed with the Sideshow version of Grand Admiral Thrawn, so I made my own. Krennic uniform top, snowtrooper commander pants, Tarkin code cylinders (still need a couple more), the gold shoulderpieces are cut from a zip tie and painted. Belt and buckle from Enaud. Made the holster myself. Stuck with Sideshow boots. For some reason, they just looked better on him to me. The shoulderpieces are a bit thinner than they should be, but I like them for now. Might replace them later with a wider zip tie. The bits on the collar are simply paper pieces cut and painted and glued with white glue.
cus_Thrawn.jpg
cus-Thrawn_detail.jpg

Next I want to do a custom Wedge and either Biggs or Red Leader. I have the outfits and such, just haven't started working on them. Probably hit up Enaud again later and do a Weequay guard for my Jabba setup.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Hope you like them. :wave

Love it.:clap

What bodies did you use for Ozzel and Piett?

And interesting to see those ebay black officer uniforms look good on the DSTs. I almost pulled the trigger on them a few times but always worried they wouldn't be usable.

And are those the Ghostbusters gloved hands you used for the DST's?

Thanks, TaliBane!

The Piett is a Krennic body (I think). The Ozzel is a TT knockoff from eBay. I had to sand the legs down a lot to get them into the Tarkin uniform.

The DST gloves are Sideshow Darth Maul v1.

Thanks, TaliBane!

The Piett is a Krennic body (I think). The Ozzel is a TT knockoff from eBay. I had to sand the legs down a lot to get them into the Tarkin uniform.

The DST gloves are Sideshow Darth Maul v1.

Yeah, that Tarkin uniform would be snug even on Leia. The neck is crazy small.

Very nice! Ive though about picking up a Hasbro DST. Is it possible to lower those helmets? Or is there enough material in there to Dremel out? Nice job on all those. Never too many Imperials!

There's some ridges inside that you can Dremel down a bit. I did it on both of these. I could probably do a little bit more, but I didn't want to risk screwing up a helmet (although they aren't really hard to come by).

I decided to start work on a storm commando. I've loved these guys from waaaaaay back when I was in college and we were playing the old West End Games Star Wars RPG. I've been meaning to get around to making one, and Toyanxiety just parted out a biker scout :)

Problem is, there's not really a canon reference for them. They've only been in the Galactic Defense game and a helmet was in Rogue One (kinda). There's been several versions of artwork over the years, and different 3.75" figures as well. So, I'm trying to decide how to go about doing this.

My main point of reference is the original artwork from the Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim from 1993. Here's a pic:
Storm_Commando2.jpg

Gentle Giant also did a 1/6 bust that was pretty good:
storm1.jpg

It seems the helmet, chest armor, torso packs, knees, and shoulder armor are the same as a biker scout. In the original artwork, they clearly have full armor on the forearms, as well as upper and lower leg armor. I'm trying to decide what armor to use. Right now, I'm leaning towards clone armor, mainly because I already have some, but it also does seem to fit the bill pretty well (but not perfect). I'm also trying to settle on a bodysuit. I have a clone suit, but I'm thinking about a first order trooper suit because the ribbing on the arms seems to fit well with the Gentle Giant bust (plus, it looks cool).

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions to share? Any other armor suggestions? I really want this guy to turn out looking awesome.

Back