Kindle Fire HD good for digital comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Buffy! Going to try and pick a kindle up today. Depending on how dirty I am after work. I already have a ton of comics and novels I want to read.

If you have novels they need to be in the mobi format for Kindle to open. I use the free program called calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/ to convert epub or other formats.

So I ended up picking up a tablet today, but not the Kindle Fire. I picked up the Nexus 7 after reading review after review. My biggest thing I liked on the Nexus is that I am not locked into basically one place to shop for digital books. I can use the Kindle store and as well the B&N store. Haven't checked to make sure for that one. I'm really liking it so far. Downloaded the first Walking Dead comic for free and it looks amazing.

I'm thinking about getting a tablet and will likely go with a kindle fire hd or a nexus. I have a couple of questions about Marvel digital comics. Can you buy collected editions or only individual issues? Do they offer subscriptions to save money? Thanks!

If your deciding between the kindle and Nexus I would go with the Nexus personally. With the kindle I believe you are locked into only being able to buy from the kindle store opposed to on the Nexus you can use both Kindle store and Nook store. As far as collected editions go yes their are books you can buy as the collected edition rather than single issues. Usually results in being cheaper. If you haven't check out https://comicstore.marvel.com/collections that is the list of collected books you can buy for the marvel app. The subscription I'm not sure about. I know their is a marvel subscription but you have to read the comics through a web browser. At least that is what I have read. Also I'm sure you know about www.comixology.com but if you haven't it is a great site for digital comics. If you have any questions about the Nexus let me know and I am sure somebody in this thread would be willing to answer stuff about the kindle as well. Honestly either way you can't go wrong.

If your deciding between the kindle and Nexus I would go with the Nexus personally. With the kindle I believe you are locked into only being able to buy from the kindle store opposed to on the Nexus you can use both Kindle store and Nook store. As far as collected editions go yes their are books you can buy as the collected edition rather than single issues. Usually results in being cheaper. If you haven't check out https://comicstore.marvel.com/collections that is the list of collected books you can buy for the marvel app. The subscription I'm not sure about. I know their is a marvel subscription but you have to read the comics through a web browser. At least that is what I have read. Also I'm sure you know about www.comixology.com but if you haven't it is a great site for digital comics. If you have any questions about the Nexus let me know and I am sure somebody in this thread would be willing to answer stuff about the kindle as well. Honestly either way you can't go wrong.

As long as you don't buy a ipad. You can get cheap comes at. 99 then turn them in what you need to so you can read them on your reader.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend and and try both of them out.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend and and try both of them out.

It really depends on what you want to use it for...the Nexus does more but isn't as simple to use as the Kindle. I use the kindle (the newer HD one) every day when i'm in bed or on business trips to read or watch a movie or mess with game apps and use my laptop or PC for the other things. And I love my amazon prime account so that's what swayed me; but it comes down to what you want to use it for. And the Kindle I bought my mom is on my account so when she wants something I buy it and it's on both Kindles (she isn't "computer" savy although she's picked up on the kindle and does buy stuff sometimes and I get the bill, ha ha). you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

You won't be able to check out the nexus at best buy. You will have to go to a staples or I believe OfficeMax might carry them. The other poster is right. The nexus is a little bit harder to use,but once you learn it it is really easy.

I understand if you are hesitant about making the move to digital, and a smaller sized tablet like the Kindle Fire HD to boot, but don't be. I [ame="https://youtu.be/ZZ2-RVW7wtg"]posted a video[/ame] of the Kindle Fire HD and cover a number of comic book reader apps with screenshots and videos. I took the plunge with digital and haven't looked back... and I was really worried about the 7" tablets... I thought it would be like comics on a phone - close to unbearable.

Last edited:
Back