Kinda OT, but I'm curious about copying

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da Bronx Commando

Super Freak
Reaction score
What do you guys think about copying or trying to make your figures look like others. Personally I love the sharing of ideas, and I have used plenty of ideas that I have seen here. But does anyone here get pissed when you see someone do a bash almost exactly the way you did it? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

It's polite to credit inspiration, but getting butt hurt over someone else dressing a doll the same as me .. no.

Shouldn't be an issue. If anything, I would consider it flattering as long as credit is given where credit is due.

I do it all the time. I get a ton of great ideas and inspiration from my fellow Joe bashers, that's the primary reason why I post shots of my figures, so others can maybe use things I did or give me feedback on things that can be improved.

If someone is getting butt hurt cause someone copied their doll, they need to rethink their priorities in life.

Yall-Gon-Make-Me-Lose-My-Mind-Up-In-Here-Up-In-Here-DMX-Gif.gif

Thanks for the responses. This whole thing came up this past weekend. I was sharing my progress on my Zartan with a friend, who is a fan of GI Joe, not a collector or basher, but enjoys my figures. So anyway, I showed him my WIP as well as what I was using as inspiration for my version and he said its not like me to copy. I tried to explain its not copying, its just inspiration. Just had me thinking. I come from an art background where it was very competitive and if someone took your idea, or you took someone else's, it was wrong. I don't feel that way here and I'm glad you guys don't as well.

I don't like your friend.
I'm usually pretty mellow about stuff, but I agree with KD. Your friend made a pretty dumb statement. If he feels that way, he should be criticizing you for copying Hasbro's character designs. We are ALL are copying character concepts from Hasbro and those artists who designed the characters.

If we were all so wrapped up about not copying in any way, nobody would be working here on the boards. Hell, George Lucas KNEW that Star Wars would be plagarized or parodied, and welcomed it! A damn good thing too! I love the Family Guy and Robot Chicken parodies! It's even more fun to watch the GI Joe parodies!!!

Some people (like me!) need to lighten up...

Well, if the friend is somebody who has no idea about collecting and custom figures. I can see why he may think it's 'copying'

It's not really his fault he doesn't know the ins and outs of a hobby he doesn't participate in, seems like the friend was just curious

I tend to agree with you Frank. I don't think he really knew what he was talking about. And he is my friend, so I can say he does that a lot! LOL

Shouldn't be an issue. If anything, I would consider it flattering as long as credit is given where credit is due.

I do it all the time. I get a ton of great ideas and inspiration from my fellow Joe bashers, that's the primary reason why I post shots of my figures, so others can maybe use things I did or give me feedback on things that can be improved.

If someone is getting butt hurt cause someone copied their doll, they need to rethink their priorities in life.

Borrow ideas and give feedback.

That's what we do up in hurrr.

:exactly::goodpost: Yep!

Same. I copy KD's style. He's got some class.

I know that when I finally get my Greenshirts done they will look a lot like EF's. His are perfection to me and I am inspired by his work as I am by many of you. I would never not give credit where credit is due! Like said before, we are all copying Hasbro and the artists that created ARAH and the comics so............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back