Justified Discussion -Spoilers-

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I just don't know what I want to see in the end:
1) The people of Harlen rise under Loretta to defend their county, ultimately saving Boyd or possibly Raylan.
2) Raylan guns down Boyd
3) Raylan ultimately lets Boyd go, after #1. ;)
4) Everyone dies.

Goggins has done another outstanding job with a character and I think Boyd is one of the greatest bad guys in recent memory, but I think he has to die.

Raylan should head off into the sunset with Ava to join the GOTG crew, and let Winona find another boring real estate goon to be safe with and raise that baby.

Art should become president of the world, and Loretta can become the teenaged weed queenpin of Harlan County.

Pappy Van Winkle for all!

I'm not sure what a satisfying end-game would look like, either. I'm thinking Ava dies -- maybe at the hands of Hale or Markham -- and sends both Raylan and Boyd into a fit. Raylan because he promised her protection and failed, Boyd because she was his girl and he promised to get her out of Harlan. Both blame the other. Gunfight at the OK Corral. If I had to guess ... it's Boyd who dies. Raylan rides into the sunset.

It is interesting that they have you rooting for both sides. And, they've given enough foreboding foreshadowing for both Raylan and Boyd that it could be either. Raylan's overconfident in his gunslinging skills. Boyd's overconfident in his ability to get away with that one last score. Both have promised to protect Ava (which doesn't bode well for Ava).

The last episode is called "The Promise". I'm thinking that is a callback to Ava telling Raylan "There's gotta be a place in hell for a man that breaks a promise to a woman," after he promised to get her through this. Then again, Boyd promised to get her out of Harlan.

The writers and showrunner seem to want to keep pretty faithful to Elmore Leonard. Leonard never wrote an ending to Raylan's story, though. I haven't read a ton of his stuff, but, from what I've seen, Leonard doesn't tend toward tragic endings for the good guys. Chili Palmer is pretty much the only legbreaker that walked away from Get Shorty unscathed, for instance. Jackie Brown (from Leonard's Rum Punch) also ended well for the good guys. Maybe that's something. Maybe not.

I'm also waiting for the murder of Dewey Crowe to pop up and burn Boyd. His alligator necklace is still hanging in the bar.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Pretty solid three second recap of the last episode ...

justified-dayum.gif

SnakeDoc

I can't decide if I should be surprised or not that Ava shot Boyd. I mean, she already did it once before, so it kinda should've been obvious. But still, everyone was expecting a showdown between Raylan and Boyd, and now that seems very unlikely to happen.

Didn't expect Ava to be the one, but it makes sense.
Boon's gonna give us the quick draw shootout that we need to see Raylan win one more time. He's become a pretty strong character with just a few scenes.
I figured after he said it, Mike's remark about "my people" was going to eat at him and he'd act out against Duffy.
Only 3 episodes left. Damn.

I can't decide if I should be surprised or not that Ava shot Boyd. I mean, she already did it once before, so it kinda should've been obvious. But still, everyone was expecting a showdown between Raylan and Boyd, and now that seems very unlikely to happen.

Pretty sure this is the first time she's shot Boyd. She shot and killed Bowman Crowder, and pulled the same gun (at the same table) on Boyd. But, Raylan is the one who actually shot Boyd in the pilot.

Apparently, Ava does not only shoot people when they're eating supper.

Didn't expect Ava to be the one, but it makes sense.
Boon's gonna give us the quick draw shootout that we need to see Raylan win one more time. He's become a pretty strong character with just a few scenes.
I figured after he said it, Mike's remark about "my people" was going to eat at him and he'd act out against Duffy.
Only 3 episodes left. Damn.

I'm wondering about Boon. He could be one last quickdraw gunfight victory for Raylan. Or, he could be Jack McCall ... the no-name nobody that killed legendary gunslinging lawman Wild Bill Hic****. Now that a Raylan/Boyd gunfight to end all gunfights looks like it isn't coming -- with Boyd wounded and in custody -- there's a chance somebody else takes an overconfident Raylan down. Boon would be an interesting choice.

This is one of those twists that I didn't see coming, but probably should've ... which was the point. Raylan probably should've seen it coming, too. It was a logical play given that she was backed into a corner, with her CI agreement pulled and Raylan waiting in the bushes to kill or arrest Boyd. The viewers made the same mistake as Boyd and Raylan ... they got so caught up in outsmarting one another, they forgot to keep their eye on the girl.

This episode really upended the season. Boyd's wounded and in Marshal custody ... but with no evidence of the heist. Ava's on the run with the money everybody has been after all season. The Boyd/Duffy/Hale gang has come apart. The Boyd/Ava coupling is over. The Raylan/Ava CI coupling is over. The Duffy/Mike partnership is over. The Hale/Markham coupling is hanging by a thin thread. And, my guess is Raylan is going to get an earful from Art and Rachel when he comes in with this screw-up -- though, truthfully, it's mostly the lawyer's fault. If he hadn't pulled the plug on Ava's agreement, they'd have Boyd in custody with the $10M he stole and a big 'ol RICO charge coming up.

Everybody turned on everybody else. And, the expected endgame ... Raylan and Boyd, head-to-head in the finale, is in some doubt.

SnakeDoc

I'm glad it's been unpredictable, but also not so rigged that it feels cheap just for the sake of unpredictability. Ava has a hundred more reasons to take down Boyd than Raylan. She is very guilty of a lot of bad things, and she chose to do them. But at the same time, she's also been a pawn in the fight between Boyd and Raylan for so long, she deserves a little justice for herself. Hopefully she can get a year on the run with a million dollars worth of living in before she's caught. :lol

Man, this show is so AWESOME. I love how it keeps the viewers on their toes. You just never really know what's going to happen. This weeks episode was fantastic. I'm really going to miss Raylan and the gang when this series wraps up.

The bloodbath has begun. Two more to go.

I saw the Mikey and Hale thing coming ... but Boyd and Carl surprised me. Also, I didn't think of the angle that Raylan might be suspected of conspiring with Ava.

SnakeDoc

I think I'm going to enjoy the showdown between Raylan and Boon just as much as I will Raylan and Boyd. I know Raylan has gone up against some hard asses and come out on top but Boon looks like he's just as proficient with a gun as Raylan. I'm anxiously awaiting that confrontation. There's still quite a bit to wrap up before the series finale. Ava, Boyd, Boon, and Avery are just at the top of the list.

The bloodbath has begun. Two more to go.

I saw the Mikey and Hale thing coming ... but Boyd and Carl surprised me. Also, I didn't think of the angle that Raylan might be suspected of conspiring with Ava.

SnakeDoc

10 million dollars can put doubt in just about anybody's mind. :lol

. . . but Boon looks like he's just as proficient with a gun as Raylan. I'm anxiously awaiting that confrontation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't even seen Boone shoot anyone yet, right?

He was playing tricks with his gun in his first appearance, and has given some menacing monologues. . . it is rather funny though, that he hasn't committed any violent acts but we just assume he's an super badass killer. Would be kind of ironic if he fumbles his gun in a stand-off and Raylan just blows him away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't even seen Boone shoot anyone yet, right?

He was playing tricks with his gun in his first appearance, and has given some menacing monologues. . . it is rather funny though, that he hasn't committed any violent acts but we just assume he's an super badass killer. Would be kind of ironic if he fumbles his gun in a stand-off and Raylan just blows him away.

He shot Loretta's grandmother when she refused Markham's offer. Off screen, though.

SnakeDoc

Uncle Zachariah with classic 'reveal I'm about to blow us up so you have a couple of seconds to run just far enough away so you don't get killed' trick :lol

yeah not a lot got finalized in this episode. only two deaths, and only one of them was a repeat character that no one cared about anyways.......lots going to come down next week....wonder if its a two hour finale???

We only get the usual 42+/- minutes for the finale. I guess they can wrap it all up well enough in that time, it just feels like this series deserves a little more for its conclusion.

Uncle Explodey was great. :lol

I guess we're going to get that showdown between Boon and Raylan on a deserted highway. No way Boon's getting the drop on him though.
One thing I've really enjoyed about this series is that while it has the story threads and characters that run throughout, each season is also its own self-contained story and can be enjoyed that way.
Rarely do I want to sit through a series again once I've already watched it. But the stories and characters on Justified are among the few I'm willing to look in on again. I plan to pick up the entire series after this season is available.

Back