Just thought of something re: Old Ben 12" Packaging

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the box art is cool to look at for about the initial 15 seconds after receiving the figure. Then it's opening time!* :D

*It's no biggie to me which way they go with the artwork, as I think both are pretty nice.

I'm with most people in that the box doesn't last long with me, I was holding onto them for a while but space is low and so I only kept a few favorites, but the 2006 package design was nice because it was like a little piece of artwork along with your figure. The 30th look is nice packaging style, but it's not artwork.

That is how all my figures are posed . . . .

With more space I'd love to put all of the boxes behind their appropriate fig-- and if I had to choose I'd rather it was the older style than the 30th.

dsc04800xp1.jpg

Personally, the Anni packaging has grown on me. But I can see them not changing - for consistentcy's sake or just not to piss off uncle George.

...The 30th look is nice packaging style, but it's not artwork.

Wow. No offense, but I found that statement stunning, coming from an artist...

I actually like the simplicity of the anniversary style, but am a little surprised they're continuing with it into next year...although Hasbro is as well, but without the 30th anniversary-related text. Perhaps Sideshow will be taking that approach as well...

I agree with Evilface...while the initial design Sideshow started with was good, it was really "busy" looking...the one thing I like about the current one is it's focus is the figure. But as other's have said, it's what's inside that really counts!

Personaly, box design matters not to me. Couldn't care less. TBH, I'd be tickled if, since the figures are all mail order anyways, the switched to solid white, unmarked boxes, as an homage to the old kenner mail-aways :D

Well, I like the 30th anniversary packing better,
it's more minimalistic and classy, the Sideshow design is too busy in my opinion. The LOTR looks better IMO. But then again, I love Medicoms packaging, which a lot of people hate too.
I think the best graphic design is Hot Toys, sort of middle ground between clean and flashy.

I prefer the original style, but its not biggie either way... the boxes are all just sitting in my garage :lol

Wow. No offense, but I found that statement stunning, coming from an artist...

Well, I was really trying to be short in my words. I understand the creative and artistic work in the 30th packaging, but I always felt that the box front artwork on the 2006 design was of a calibur where it could almost be a framed art print hanging on a wall, where the 30th Anniversary design loses some impact outside of a packaging context.

I miss the old packaging. I thought it showed off the figure and movie stills brilliantly. The new packages are almost blah to me.

I think the 30th box serves the function of figure showcasing very effectively because the most interesting element on the panels is the figure, your attention is drawn immediately. I never felt the old box highlight the figure best, but it was really something to look at and enjoyable to look at for is graphics quality.

I like both boxes, but I look at them differently, the older focusing on art while the newer emphasizes design. It's a subtle difference, but a defining one.

Back